Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
This is why I ended up getting a HM-2. For the price of some of the boutique replicas you can just get a Japanese HM-2
personally i'm plenty happy with my hm300 and taiwanese hm2, i don't think the price gap is worth it for the mij version. that being said the throne torcher and walrus red def improve on the core design and offer more flexibility than the base hm2 imo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
personally i'm plenty happy with my hm300 and taiwanese hm2, i don't think the price gap is worth it for the mij version. that being said the throne torcher and walrus red def improve on the core design and offer more flexibility than the base hm2 imo.

Yeah, I got the MIT HM-2, the price of the MIJ isn't worth it IMO. If you can pick the sound difference you're a wizard.

KailM

Reaction score
Yeah, I got the MIT HM-2, the price of the MIJ isn't worth it IMO. If you can pick the sound difference you're a wizard.

Mine is a MIT as well, and it has always sounded spot-on to my ears. Any differences between the two can be EQ'd away either with the amp's controls or an EQ pedal. I've always wanted to try a MIJ along side it, but I can't justify the price. I'd like to try one of the clones that offers increased flexibility, as well, but there again, the price is so high on pedals like the Throne Torcher or Wurm that it's a very costly experiment.

Ultimately, even though I adore the HM-2 tone, it's not a tone that I've ever wanted to use as my core tone, because it's hard to write songs with it that don't sound like something that's been done 1000x before.

dhgrind

Reaction score
Had the Japanese hm2, noise was just insane. Sounded great but I do appreciate the modern boutique versions a bit more.

I’m weird tho because I like the sound of shitty amps with expensive pedals.

Reaction score
nobody's mentioned the Arion Metal Master yet, the Mayhem pedal!! (though Owen thinks it's just the hm-2)
I have one of these and a behr 300 to compare it to, the frequencies are different in the lows & i think the 300 is more accurate,
but you can get some nice 'searing-lead' chainsaw from the Arion version, sometimes it works better to cut through than the behringer.

Depends on what i'm using but both are really good as clean boosts into already distorting pedals/amps.
Just be mindful that you've got to back off the treble knob on the behr oh-so-slightly to get a more accurate hm-2 sound.

Gmork

Reaction score
I have an (HM too many clones) pedal in the mail on its way, Which is a modernized (ie low noise) clone. by pepers pedals in newzealand.
Hes a one man company and his stuff looks like the real deal! Super affordable too. Check out his youtube vids!

Turgon

Reaction score
best thread ever!
I've a HM2 MIJ, MIT, Arion Metal Master, Behringer HM300, KMA Wurm, LWA LHP, Anarchy Audio HM2, Dunwich HM2 and a TC Eyemaster. I'm planning to get the Airis clone as well as the pepers pedals clone and much more. Every pedal has its own flavour, but all of them can do the chainsaw!
I'll do some comparison vids in the near future, might be helpful for some of you!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I've owned a bunch I think the original mij is the best lol. I got an '84. Currently I'm using the Airis Merciless Distortion in my FX Loop and boosting it with the original MIJ (dist off). Sounds heinous.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
This is why I ended up getting a HM-2. For the price of some of the boutique replicas you can just get a Japanese HM-2

That's totally true, and honestly a more cost efficient route to go for the best sound, but I still hesitate to step full force on a 30+ year old pedal which is only accruing value over time and becoming harder to get. Just my :2c:

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
Luckily I got it via local pawnshop for like 40-60 bucks. Honestly I wasn't even looking for one at the moment but thought I would just get it. I rarely use it but it sounds cool once in a while when I have the right setup dialed in. Really interested in trying out the new variations of it.

Gmork

Reaction score
My HM Too Many Clones (by pepers pedals) arrived yesterday and have had a bit of time with it. Id love to compare it to the original but dont own and have never played one surprizingly.

Either way im very happy with it. Sounds awesome. Its dead silent too which i like.
smoother than i was expecting yet definitely chainsaw like, but more of a fuzz than distortion and not as much gain as i thought itd have.

Is this what first time hm2 users have experienced?
Do most people boost the original hm2?

Either way like i said i do love it and it will definitely be stsying on my board. A+ customer service etc too.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Luckily I got it via local pawnshop for like 40-60 bucks. Honestly I wasn't even looking for one at the moment but thought I would just get it. I rarely use it but it sounds cool once in a while when I have the right setup dialed in. Really interested in trying out the new variations of it.

Same thing happened to me to get my MIJ one. Happened to walk into my local pawn shop on the right day and picked up the HM-2 and an OCD clone together for $75 :D

I barely use it and have thought of using it as trade bait for something more practical, but it's fun to have around.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
That's totally true, and honestly a more cost efficient route to go for the best sound, but I still hesitate to step full force on a 30+ year old pedal which is only accruing value over time and becoming harder to get. Just my :2c:

The trick is to get an effects controller and stomp the shit out of that instead ;)

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I bought an '84 from Japan for $100 usd. They aren't expensive if you know where to look. :p Stomp it!

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
It was a limited run done by Airis effects. They are all spoken for. He did them in a few different configurations. The Merciless, the Savage Drive and I believe his new preamp.

')