Boss vs Line 6

• Thread starter Bumskull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bumskull

Reaction score
I know this has debated across many forums, but I definitely need advice on this one. It's pod X3L vs Boss GT 10. I'm looking a for distortion+effect+amp sim pedal that can replicate the tones of JP and MR on their early albums (not an exact replica but something close enough to Awake, I&W, or DWOT). I'm also looking for a good sustain+ 'James-Brown' wah pedal for my jazz band. I'm also looking for a basic distortion pedal for my Orchestra pit. My school is performing ADIA, an Elton John music, and I need something reminiscent of a late 90's overdrive/distortion sound. And again I stress that all of these sounds should to a certain extent sound natural. Now obviously I am on a budget, and the only reason I want a pedal right now is because i bought a Boss OD 20 for orchestra pit (the school has no pedals of guitar amps) and the pit teacher told me I needed not only a phaser and a chorus but also a wah and a delay. If I return the boss, the dude at my local music store will give me about $160 for it. He also will give me $200 for a used line 6 Spider III amp. If I buy the pedal, my planned setup is this:

Guitar (Agile Interceptor Pro 7) -> pedal -> speaker system

I heard form many sources that line 6 has terrible cabinet modeling, but according to the manual the Boss has almost no cabinet sims whatsoever. I am going to be playing at all times without an actual cabinet. Do any of these pedals address that problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know this has debated across many forums, but I definitely need advice on this one. It's pod X3L vs Boss GT 10. I'm looking a for distortion+effect+amp sim pedal that can replicate the tones of JP and MR on their early albums (not an exact replica but something close enough to Awake, I&W, or DWOT). I'm also looking for a good sustain+ 'James-Brown' wah pedal for my jazz band. I'm also looking for a basic distortion pedal for my Orchestra pit. My school is performing ADIA, an Elton John music, and I need something reminiscent of a late 90's overdrive/distortion sound. And again I stress that all of these sounds should to a certain extent sound natural. Now obviously I am on a budget, and the only reason I want a pedal right now is because i bought a Boss OD 20 for orchestra pit (the school has no pedals of guitar amps) and the pit teacher told me I needed not only a phaser and a chorus but also a wah and a delay. If I return the boss, the dude at my local music store will give me about $160 for it. He also will give me $200 for a used line 6 Spider III amp. If I buy the pedal, my planned setup is this:

Guitar (Agile Interceptor Pro 7) -> pedal -> speaker system

I heard form many sources that line 6 has terrible cabinet modeling, but according to the manual the Boss has almost no cabinet sims whatsoever. I am going to be playing at all times without an actual cabinet. Do any of these pedals address that problem.

I'll probably get pwnd.t with differing opinions but I think Line 6's modeling shits all over Boss's. Boss's effects are better (IMO) but Line 6's modeling is better and it sounds like that's what you are most concerned about...

then there's digitech... get a GNX3000 and an MFX Supermodels CD and kill both line 6 and Boss. Get a GSP1101 and kill everything we've discussed thus far.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I mostly agree with Joe. Boss COSM modeling works well enough for something like a super clean Fender or JC-120 sound, but as soon as you add any grit, it goes to shit. Line 6 stuff isn't inherently the most natural sounding, but it can get there, and more importantly, it sounds a lot better overall. The Line 6 cab sims aren't as good as impulses, but I haven't heard much else that sounds better. I do disagree with Joe about the GNX, though. I've never heard a GNX tone that I've liked much. The GSP1101, however, seems great and would probably be the best option out of everything mentioned so far.

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
I hate the Boss GT series. The models(amp & cab) sound like crap to me.

Bumskull

Reaction score
THanks for the info guys. But I can't really get a good digitech pedal. I need one by dress rehersal this tuesday, and my music store pretty much cleaned up on digitech during black friday. All they have left are the small two switchl ones w/o the foot pedal. So to simplify this decision a litle, is there anyone of this forum who can attest the fact that either of these pedals can create a convincing JP sound?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'd go Line 6, but I've never really tried to get JP type tones out of it.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
That kind of saturated lead sound of guys like JP is certainly findable in a POD X3.
Just bear in mind, don't expect to get your head around the POD in a day, because it wont happen. Good tone is partly the result of properly learning to use the gear at your disposal, so be ready to read the manual and to tweak constantly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
can you not buy the pedal, use it for tuesday, then return it w/ receipt for a refund and get something else?

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
go X3 Live for sure.

I think the cab sims are actually pretty good all things considered. Ive used my pod live in a pinch and it sounded great. So i dunno if you were talking to someone who tried one or previous owners. They arent perfect but you can definitely tweak it to death to get it just right.

Theres a thread on the Pod setting what works best etc.. try that to speed things up.

And for a basic distortion. Ibanez tubescreamer or one of the thousands of clones. OR just use the rat distortion in the pod if you get the X3 Live.

good luck to you sir.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
How's the GSP1101 for direct recording? One of the biggest pluses of the X3 for me is the connectivity and ease of use with podfarm and such.

')