Bowed Guitar

• Thread starter DeadPool2099
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeadPool2099

Reaction score
Has any tried playing their guitar with Violin or Cello bow?. I have tried it for fun after seeing Sigur Ros a couple years back. I just use a Violin Bow and play with regular wound strings. I find its easier to use a six-string les paul to bow. I tried bowing my 7-string Ibanez and it didn't quite work The body gets in the way.

I usually put on flatwound strings on my Jay Turser Les Paul and find it works really well. I Turn up the reverb and play with the neck pick up on clean. To me it sounds more like a violin/cello. I found I can only bow the 6th string and 1st string. I can bow Chords too it sounds alright really gives the guitar sustain like a keyboard. Distortion or Fuzz with delay sounds cool too. I combine my Fuzz, Digital Delay and Wah-Wah and it sounds similar to the sounds like the youtube video "Strange Sounds in Terrace, BC Canada August 29th 2013 7:30am (Vid#1)."

Does anyone else have experience with bowing an electric guitar? Advice, Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Increase the string radius at the bridge, that'll make it easier to bow across more than just the outer strings.

')