Brandon Ellis Jackson Sig?

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really? I find the current Indo/Mexican ebony looks pretty damn good, darker than the Madagascar Ebony on the LTD-1000 and the Striped Ebony on the not quite TOTL Jackson Stars (J2/TN02/etc...). Its the Laurel replacing Rosewood that's literally a shit shade of brown. Even the brown-died Purpleheart on the JS looks better than the Laurel, at least before the dye peels off and under its purple. Its the aluminum sharkfin on some of the Pro that put me off, they don't pop like MOP or even MOTO from the black.

Richlite would be cool, I really dig the white on the Brendon Small and Matt Heafy signature Epiphone. The black sharkies would pop off much better than on Maple.

DeathbyDesign

*Palm Muting Intensifies*
Reaction score
It would be great if he got a sig guitar finally. Been a fan of his since I saw him play with Arsis at a super small club out here in AZ years ago. His jacksons look great and I think it would be a nice boost for their pro series line if that is what it ends up being. Hopefully the quality of the pro series is on par (I haven't played one in a long time so I can speak to the current quality) with other guitars in a similar price point.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Jackson needs an Eii line

It’s either a compromised (cheap trem, inferior materials) £900 guitar from Indonesia or China, or £3,800 from the USA. Maybe that’s just the case outside the US?

If they released this as a USA production line guitar around the £1.8-2.2K point (like Eii), I’d definitely buy one. I’m snobby so won’t buy a pro series. But I also don’t love Jackson enough to buy a £3.8K model.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I've been a fan of this dude for a year or two now and think he's deserving of a sig.

On a side note, does anyone know what this little melody from one of his personal video's is around 0:30-0:48? I swear I've heard it as a theme to a video game or movie or maybe some old 80's metal. The lick that follows is very Yngwie-esque.

Mathemagician

Reaction score

It’s either a compromised (cheap trem, inferior materials) £900 guitar from Indonesia or China, or £3,800 from the USA. Maybe that’s just the case outside the US?

If they released this as a USA production line guitar around the £1.8-2.2K point (like Eii), I’d definitely buy one. I’m snobby so won’t buy a pro series. But I also don’t love Jackson enough to buy a £3.8K model.

That was the late-90’s Professional line. Jackson decided it was “too good” and cannibalized their USA line. So they by design have a gap in quality that ensures I consider most other brands before entering $3.5k Jackson territory. Hello ESP, Schecter, used Aristides, on and on and on.

Source: Am snobby.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
F648A537-872B-44D4-BE26-AFE3AB3D4628.jpeg

Taken from his instagram. A close-up.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
On a related question, are those Omega cabs on stage for the bassist?

Anybody know what gear he uses? I don't recognise the bass guitar, or the stuff on stage. But the bass tone on the album, and in this video, is super gnarly.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Anybody know what gear he uses? I don't recognise the bass guitar, or the stuff on stage. But the bass tone on the album, and in this video, is super gnarly.

Zon Sonus bass into a Peavey MiniMega I believe.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Pretty sure he also uses a DG B7k too.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

Jackson doesn't even really have a US production series at all anymore. The USA Select models haven't been stocked anywhere in a few years. They basically only exist as a base model for you to use for Custom Select orders.

Their reasoning is probably that if you're the person who's willing to spend $2.5k+ on a USA Select you're probably just as willing to shell out $700-$1000 more to be able to pick your specs. When I did it the build took 9 months, which is also faster than their full customs. This is probably longer now.

There is a huge price gap between the pro series and US-made stuff now. The problem is, the Jackson US Shop is small. Really small. There literally aren't the people for a "production line" between the pro series and custom select in the US. That's also why the build time is so long now for custom stuff.

There's no more Jackson production in Japan, and the labor there is basically just as expensive as in the US now anyway. Maybe they can do a Korean line? The Dinky Moderns are made there, and Korean guitars have a reputation on par with MIJ guitars of the previous decades.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Honestly, I think what's likely is that FMIC is probably happy with the profit margins on the pro and X series. They're unlikely to make a series of Jacksons with lower profitability, which would be the case with producing them in a country with more expensive labor.

Sad reality of economics in our world here.

jco5055

Reaction score
Honestly, I think what's likely is that FMIC is probably happy with the profit margins on the pro and X series. They're unlikely to make a series of Jacksons with lower profitability, which would be the case with producing them in a country with more expensive labor.

Sad reality of economics in our world here.

Apparently (this is coming from dealers) in January there is a HUGE announcement that EVERYONE is gonna love, a lot of people think a Japanese production shop is opening so we'll see.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Apparently (this is coming from dealers) in January there is a HUGE announcement that EVERYONE is gonna love, a lot of people think a Japanese production shop is opening so we'll see.
This would be interesting news. I'm not as plugged in and I used to be (no longer frequenting a dealer multiple times a month and ordering more than I should), but I will try to keep my ear to the ground.

This is what you'd expect to hear on jcfonline, but that place is pretty much dead these days.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I see that there have been new MIJ Charvels on the Japanese Charvel website, so perhaps that rumor has legs.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I’d like to see a JPY/USA series that isn’t $3k+.

Just hire some woodworking interns and get it up and running, lol. “How hard can running a skilled multi-million dollar team be?”

Latest posts

')