Brandon Ellis Jackson Sig?

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I love Kellys even with the reverse headstock but can't get on board with the crackle finish. I gave it time to grow on me but it never did. Quick slightly off topic question...anyone know why all the crackle finish Jackson soloists are MIC but solid gloss finishes are MII? It's the same exact guitar as far as I can tell

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because of the crackle/swirl finishes, its an extra step, its more complicated than a standard solid finish, its either more convenient, cheaper, or both to have them made in a separate factory.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Elite models were looking good, sort of a return to form for Jackson Japan, but then Chushin closed down after only a few batches.

I think the best option would be to slot a Japanese line to where the pre-Select USA line fell. Something like $2k for a "classic" spec (solid color, binding, fins, HH) of the marquee shapes (SL, DK, KV, KE, RR). Which is what the Elites were.

This. SO MUCH THIS.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I did think that. I had a JS32Q which was fine. But if the only that changes as you climb the catalogue is the materials, I don't think I'd be paying £1200 for one.
Also, I really wanted the HT6 pro series, but picked one up in a guitar shop last year and it just felt off... I couldn't put my finger on it. It felt boring and unremarkable. There was a preowned Ibanez RGR reissue next to it (H-S, red dot inlays, maple board) and even though that too wasn't Japanese, it felt much nicer.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
true, but where are they all being made?

Jackson's Indonesia factory suuuuuucks
Japan. New series that are MIJ.

Also, it's not really "Jackson's factory" in Indonesia. Cort and Samick make 90% of all guitars in Indonesia.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

Also, it's not really "Jackson's factory" in Indonesia. Cort and Samick make 90% of all guitars in Indonesia.

So this new Pro series are MIJ? Do we have official confirmation on that?

Japanese pricing crept up over time too, I kinda figured the absolute cheapest you'd see a MIJ guitar for these days would be $1,200 or so like FGN Guitars. Name brand MIJ guitars I expected to be closer to $2k like E-IIs. Some of these pro guitars are $900... that would be insane if they're MIJ for that price. I might have to order two or three :lol:

edit: lol alright the MJ series are made in Japan. $2k to start, just like E-IIs... probably still good guitars but that works out to $3k Canadian. All Floyds too. Definitely prefer E-IIs lineup over the Jacksons, big time.

I remember back in the day, I never ordered a USA Jackson because I thought they were too expensive at $2,400. Customs were ~$4k. Should have bought back then, and kept my SLSMG, and collected the MIJs when they were $800. Oh well.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

Japanese pricing crept up over time too, I kinda figured the absolute cheapest you'd see a MIJ guitar for these days would be $1,200 or so like FGN Guitars. Name brand MIJ guitars I expected to be closer to $2k like E-IIs. Some of these pro guitars are $900... that would be insane if they're MIJ for that price. I might have to order two or three :lol:
The new series is called "MJ" and is a step up from pro series, which still exists. Pro series continues to be split between Indonesia and Mexico, with a small number of models in Korea.

I also had "meh" experiences early in the production of the Indonesian models. I haven't tried one in many years though. The Mexican ones I've played though have been really nice.

These MJ models are quite expensive though. However, it's yet to be seen what they'll go for in reality. Pricing on manufacturers websites isn't reflective always of what a retailer will list them for.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
true, but where are they all being made?

Jackson's Indonesia factory suuuuuucks

More like Jackson’s end QC for the factory sucks. I’ve played a few decent crackle soloists in the last few years. But yeah it’s a crapshoot.

According to who? This Kelly is listed at $1,199 and I don’t believe for a second that Jackson would sell MIJ anything below $2k, as happy as it would make most of us. I expect it to be MII.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The new series is called "MJ" and is a step up from pro series, which still exists. Pro series continues to be split between Indonesia and Mexico, with a small number of models in Korea.

I also had "meh" experiences early in the production of the Indonesian models. I haven't tried one in many years though. The Mexican ones I've played though have been really nice.

I looked at the series names again and went "oh, duh."

I wish Jackson listed on their site which guitars were made in Mexico. I've been trying their MII guitars every time I come across em cuz the specs are great, but they just tend to be not good and I haven't seen many signs of improvement. Charvel's MIM guitars are shit hot, especially for the money, so if I could get a Dinky like that.. I'd be all over it.

More like Jackson’s end QC for the factory sucks. I’ve played a few decent crackle soloists in the last few years. But yeah it’s a crapshoot.

According to who? This Kelly is listed at $1,199 and I don’t believe for a second that Jackson would sell MIJ anything below $2k, as happy as it would make most of us. I expect it to be MII.

the MJ series are the Japanese ones. $2k to start.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

Not the Ellis signature, this is probably still Indo. Was replying to the comment about new offerings in general. The MJ series is separate from the artist signatures. It's up on the website now.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I wish Jackson listed on their site which guitars were made in Mexico.
Yeah, they're trying to do series differentiation based on features, rather than country of origin. Which is confusing.

From what I've seen, Pro Soloists are Indonesian, aside from the Wildcards, which are Korean. Dinkies are either Mexican or Korean (DK Modern). But it's kind of all over the place.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

edit: lol alright the MJ series are made in Japan. $2k to start, just like E-IIs... probably still good guitars but that works out to $3k Canadian. All Floyds too. Definitely prefer E-IIs lineup over the Jacksons, big time.

I remember back in the day, I never ordered a USA Jackson because I thought they were too expensive at $2,400. Customs were ~$4k. Should have bought back then, and kept my SLSMG, and collected the MIJs when they were $800. Oh well.
The pricing on these new MJ series really drives home how they must've made like no money on the old MIJ pro series by the end of that era.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
I don't know for sure but since most other crackle finishes by Jackson are made in China, I'd bet this one is MIC too.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I don't know for sure but since most other crackle finishes by Jackson are made in China, I'd bet this one is MIC too.
Oof, yeah. That's a good point. I'm not big on paying this much for MIC.

I guess though, I haven't played an MIC guitar in like 20 years. If it plays well then price it accordingly?

olejason

Reaction score
Has Jackson always maintained production capabilities in Japan? If not, who's building the MJ series there?

Latest posts

')