Brandon Ellis Jackson Sig?

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has Jackson always maintained production capabilities in Japan? If not, who's building the MJ series there?

Chushin (who built the original Japanese Charvels and Jacksons) are long out of business. My guess is that FujiGen is making these, since FMIC has a long history with them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chushin (who built the original Japanese Charvels and Jacksons) are long out of business. My guess is that FujiGen is making these, since FMIC has a long history with them.

That's my guess too. I asked, but was given the cold shoulder. :lol:

Mike_R

Reaction score
PAD is very different from the PATB. PAD is much thicker and sludgier sounding.

That is good to hear - maybe the PATB will work out as is. Do you happen to know if the 3 (original, PAD, and Crazy 8) share the same bobbin specs/wind? Is it just the magnet swap (A5 vs Ceramic vs A8)?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
That is good to hear - maybe the PATB will work out as is. Do you happen to know if the 3 (original, PAD, and Crazy 8) share the same bobbin specs/wind? Is it just the magnet swap (A5 vs Ceramic vs A8)?
I don't think so. I know the original PATB was used by Blues Saraceno til he got his sig version and it's nowhere near as hot as the PAD. Crazy 8 may be a mag swapped version of the PATB but I haven't really looked into it much. There's very little good info about the crazy 8 out there tbh.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's my guess too. I asked, but was given the cold shoulder. :lol:
The Charvel MJs released last year were (probably) Dyna Gakki given the JDC serial, and that they exclusively build for Fender Japan. Just have to wait until someone get their hand on one to check the serial, they photoshop them out on the official photos.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Any news on where this gorgeous crackle beast is made? Last I read on here it was China but that was speculation based on the finish. Makes sense but would be disappointing if the quality isn't there. Then again if it plays well and has good QC it could be made underwater in the Arctic for all I care! :D

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
100% China, they're only making these custom finishes there since they have a dedicated trained factory for it. In my limited experience so far the China Jackson has been pretty well made, more so than the Indo.

Dooky

Reaction score
Reviews of the new RR24 crackles (lighting blue and maul red) which are made in China have been very good so far. Not much in the way of QC issues at all. Let's hope it stays that way.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I still cringe ( i love the red crackle , reminds me of the KK esp) to spend 1400 in a china made guitar...even its good but when you Can get a pre owned usa for this...
At least they got real duncans

That goes through my mind as well, but that wouldn't get you a preowned USA made Jackson though...

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Any news on where this gorgeous crackle beast is made? Last I read on here it was China but that was speculation based on the finish. Makes sense but would be disappointing if the quality isn't there. Then again if it plays well and has good QC it could be made underwater in the Arctic for all I care! :D

there's no evidence like hard evidence!

20210528_005255.jpg

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Oooh have you got one? How does it play?

yep! GAK in Brighton had one, incredibly nobody had snapped it up by the time I found it on Monday

first impressions are good, but I've not had much time with it, just going off the factory setup in standard. no obvious finish flaws aside from a bit of gunk where the fretboard meets the bass-side binding on the upper frets. fretwork is markedly better than my indo ibanez, no sharp edges, no dead spots - some notes on the B string buzz a bit, thats it. I'm impressed but obviously consistency is the magic word re QC, so I can only speak for mine. It feels like a £1K guitar should, ie not a Prestige but not a headache either

The 1000 series trem arm isn't amazing. It does the job but even as a Floyd noob I'm not keen on the wobble.

The PATB1 is awesome for leads, although on first impression it has less percussive bite than I'd expected.

I'll post a full NGD in a week or so. Before that I'm gonna mess around detuning and restringing, disassemble the Floyd to learn it, replace the Floyd arm; install some locking tuners, do a full setup, inspect for blemishes, record some demos. Another teaser pic ;)
FB_IMG_1622033634513.jpg

Last edited:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy f*ck that was over here in the UK?! How?!
It's almost as if only us guitar nerds on here care :D
I don't think I could have resisted if I saw that, so probably for the best I'm up North! :D
Seriously jealous. Great score! Looks like you got a great crackle pattern too. Not sure if there's much variation on them. Any plans for a metal pickup ring? 80s style speed knob and brass fine tuners on the Floyd? :D

manu80

Reaction score
Still waiting for the friedman crackle to arrive. Those new 2021 will be late for sure...
Looks like they use the same plastic rings like on the usa models ( a bit textured)
Looks cool !

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Holy f*ck that was over here in the UK?! How?!
It's almost as if only us guitar nerds on here care :D
I don't think I could have resisted if I saw that, so probably for the best I'm up North! :D
Seriously jealous. Great score! Looks like you got a great crackle pattern too. Not sure if there's much variation on them. Any plans for a metal pickup ring? 80s style speed knob and brass fine tuners on the Floyd? :D

A few of the UK stockists had 1 each arrive in May (Peach, Guitarguitar, some others) with more limited stock arriving June or so - most of those are already allocated to preorders though. If you want something before the end of the summer, Thomann might be your best bet (I ditched my supposedly-June preorder slot with them for this one)

Funnily enough I was in the North at the time as well - found online, not instore (its probably clear that I've been obsessively hunting for one of these)!

Thanks very much mate, I am chuffed to bits with it. Brandon's prototype, the one in all the promo shots, has an underwhelming crackle IMO (too sparse), but all of the retail ones in the wild thus far seem to have consistently dense crackles like mine. I suspect variation may(?) be greater between batches, and minimal within a given batch.

I like the way you think. Immediate plans are for gold locking tuners, gold arm for the Floyd and maybe a gold knob. Longer-term I'll use the 1000Floyd until the knife edges die then install a gold OFR, maybe even a Sophia 2:92. Hadnt thought about a pickup ring but now you've got me thinking!

Still waiting for the friedman crackle to arrive. Those new 2021 will be late for sure...
Looks like they use the same plastic rings like on the usa models ( a bit textured)
Looks cool !

The purple shattered mirror one? Those look fantastic - there's so much cool stuff coming out of the Chinese factory!

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m really keen for one but I told myself a new guitar wouldn’t happen until I’m in the new house and have a mini studio up and running, and the housing market is mental at the minute.
Looking forward to the NGD!

Flick

Reaction score
I’ve seen 1-2 reviews for this. Any more out there? Trying to get a feel for how the quality is before ordering.

')