Brandon Ellis Jackson Sig?

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BodyOrigami

Reaction score
Admittedly I am terrible with reviews and don't post NGD's, but I got one a few weeks ago. It arrived in great condition with very low action and nearly in tune. For not coming with a case, it was packed well and didn't suffer any damage through transit. The crackle finish looks great in person and was honestly the first reason I ordered one. The compound radius on the fretboard and neck profile are very comfortable. I can play this guitar for long periods of time with minimal hand fatigue. Since this is a Kelly, my initial concern was about neck dive and was pleasantly surprised to find it is well balanced. The parallel axis pickup has nice sustain and top end bite without sounding brittle. Lots of lovely harmonics and squeals to be had. Thought I would miss the neck pickup because I do use it a lot in my other guitars, and I found that even cleans sound pretty decent if you roll back the volume. But who is buying this for cleans? I know I didn't, but it is nice to know this isn't just a shred machine. My only negative is that it did not come with a case. Other than that, I really enjoy playing this guitar and it reminded me why I liked Jackson guitars so much in the first place.
Edit: Sorry I never mentioned the floyd trem and the second negative. Not really fond of the trem arm that comes with the 1000 series. It just seems a little cheap and loosens up easily. The trem itself seems to work as it should and is staying in tune.

Last edited:

Flick

Reaction score
I’ve been debating either the Ellis Kelly or the Balsac Schecter. Decisions, decisions.

Mike_R

Reaction score
Admittedly I am terrible with reviews and don't post NGD's, but I got one a few weeks ago. It arrived in great condition with very low action and nearly in tune. For not coming with a case, it was packed well and didn't suffer any damage through transit. The crackle finish looks great in person and was honestly the first reason I ordered one. The compound radius on the fretboard and neck profile are very comfortable. I can play this guitar for long periods of time with minimal hand fatigue. Since this is a Kelly, my initial concern was about neck dive and was pleasantly surprised to find it is well balanced. The parallel axis pickup has nice sustain and top end bite without sounding brittle. Lots of lovely harmonics and squeals to be had. Thought I would miss the neck pickup because I do use it a lot in my other guitars, and I found that even cleans sound pretty decent if you roll back the volume. But who is buying this for cleans? I know I didn't, but it is nice to know this isn't just a shred machine. My only negative is that it did not come with a case. Other than that, I really enjoy playing this guitar and it reminded me why I liked Jackson guitars so much in the first place.
Edit: Sorry I never mentioned the floyd trem and the second negative. Not really fond of the trem arm that comes with the 1000 series. It just seems a little cheap and loosens up easily. The trem itself seems to work as it should and is staying in tune.

I have a few Pros with the 1000 Series trem and it is a simple & cheap option to swap the arm/socket for a push in style one. I've already got an arm on the way for my pre-ordered signature Kelly that hasn't shipped yet. They cost around $17 and make a huge difference. On the push in arm you can adjust the tension via a set screw on the socket. There are quite a few places that sell it, here is the product on the FR website:

https://floydrose.com/products/frtapi?variant=29837630226

I've actually been impressed with how well the 1000 series trems have held up, except for the finish. I am super corrosive and despite wiping everything down after every time I play the black nickel finish on my main Jackson is becoming discolored. I don't know how the black on the Kelly will do, but I am thinking of trying to apply some sort of treatment on it before I play it.

ETA: Congrats! I'm glad to see they are making it out to the wild. I preordered on January 12 and still no delivery in sight, so I will have to enjoy vicariously through these posts.

BodyOrigami

Reaction score
@Flick That Balsac Schecter is pretty tasty. Either one would be a good choice, but I haven't played many Schecters and have no experience with fluence pickups.

BodyOrigami

Reaction score
@Mike_R Thanks for the tip on the floyd arm!

Glad to hear the 1000 series hold up well. I've been cranking on mine and it's staying in tune, so I think I'll be pretty happy once I replace the arm.

Thanks! I ordered mine in January also, so hopefully you will get yours soon!

BodyOrigami

Reaction score
I preordered the Jackson today. First Floyd in many many years.
Nice! The last time I had a floyd was in my second guitar, which also happened to be a Jackson. Still have it but it needs a refret and new pickups so I haven't played it in years.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I am super corrosive and despite wiping everything down after every time I play the black nickel finish on my main Jackson is becoming discolored. I don't know how the black on the Kelly will do, but I am thinking of trying to apply some sort of treatment on it before I play it.

Depending on how comfortable you are with stripping the guitar down etc, I wonder if stripping the bridge, and a coat of rattle can lacquer to the bridge components (once disassembled) would help add another barrier, but also not hinder reassembly due to increased size...

Also to keep this on topic, I keep coming back to these when I'm daydreaming about guitars. I just wish the humbucker was direct mounted. I wonder if you could get away with removing the pickup ring and plugging the screw holes with it being such a "busy" finish.....

What are the current Jackson neck shapes like for this range? Like the 90s Japanese models? 2000s X series? (As an aside, I couldn't believe how thick and chunky the USA KV2 neck I played was)

Pat

Reaction score
His new seafoam crackle custom shop is awesome - can't find photos online, but it's on his instagram for those who haven't seen it

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@Pat

219596801_4217492244996726_7275993968700133484_n.jpg

219202698_273903671201959_7805064330831463750_n.jpg
If those images don't load:

21920269827390367120.jpg

21959680142174922449.jpg

spec'd very tasty. Very tasty indeed.

Last edited:

Dooky

Reaction score
My Brandon Ellis sig arrived today. I picked it up from the FedEx depot during my lunch break and took it home for a quick inspection and play.
From the 30 minutes I was able to spend with it I can say it is a very well made and nice guitar.
Finish is flawless.
Playability and neck feel are very nice. The neck is slightly thicker than my USA Soloist, but quite similar shape.
Frets are great and I cannot feel any sharp fret ends whatsoever.
Ebony fretboard is very dark and looks similar to my USA Jackson.
Mine came very well set up from Port Mac Guitars - if you live in Australia I recommend them highly.
The Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis pickup is a sweet sounding pickup too. Never played one before this, but it is definitely a keeper.
Haven't had a chance to use the trem yet. Heard reports that the screw in trem arm can be a bit wobbly, but there are a few fixes for that. Also I have a German made one I can drop in if I really feel the need.
If I am being extremely nitpicky, the only flaw I have been able to find is on the binding on the top edge near the 20th fret - looks like they rounded it just a little bit sloppy. But this is being extremely nitpicky - you have to really look for it - but it seriously is the only "issue" I can identify with the guitar.
I will post pictures when I can.
But I would like to reassure people who have ordered one, or are thinking of ordering one, that from my experience, they are great guitars.

Last edited:

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Brandon Ellis sig arrived today. I picked it up from the FedEx depot during my lunch break and took it home for a quick inspection and play.
From the 30 minutes I was able to spend with it I can say it is a very well made and nice guitar.
Finish is flawless.
Playability and neck feel are very nice. The neck is slightly thicker than my USA Soloist, but quite similar shape.
Frets are great and I cannot feel any sharp fret ends whatsoever.
Ebony fretboard is very dark and looks similar to my USA Jackson.
Mine came very well set up from Port Mac Guitars - if you live in Australia I recommend them highly.
The Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis pickup is a sweet sounding pickup too. Never played one before this, but it is definitely a keeper.
Haven't had a chance to use the trem yet. Heard reports that the screw in trem arm can be a bit wobbly, but there are a few fixes for that. Also I have a German made one I can drop in if I really feel the need.
If I am being extremely nitpicky, the only flaw I have been able to find is on the binding on the top edge near the 20th fret - looks like they rounded it just a little bit sloppy. But this is being extremely nitpicky - you have to really look for it - but it seriously is the only "issue" I can identify with the guitar.
I will post pictures when I can.
But I would like to reassure people who have ordered one, or are thinking of ordering one, that from my experience, they are great guitars.
Did you get the complementary PLEK from PortMac?

Flick

Reaction score
Anyone else waiting on the preorder? I ordered from zzounds back in July. The keep pushing the estimated delivery back a week or two each time I’ve checked in. I get the “supply chain delays” stuff but I see other guitars coming in stock from Jackson. Must be a specific reason for this guitar only. Duncan pickup or something.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Anyone else waiting on the preorder? I ordered from zzounds back in July. The keep pushing the estimated delivery back a week or two each time I’ve checked in. I get the “supply chain delays” stuff but I see other guitars coming in stock from Jackson. Must be a specific reason for this guitar only. Duncan pickup or something.

Could be when they slot it into the production line if it’s still backed up? I’ve had a guitar on order for 9 months that keeps getting g pushed back….

Chondro Guitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Its not just that guitar. Its almost all of them. The Brandon Ellis is already on its 3 shipment. First 2 sold out. Guitar models are not in constant production. Jackson must share time with other brands in the overseas factory's. Next shipment of Brandon Ellis guitars are slated for Jan/Feb 2022. Also...this is a BIG new model. In my 5 years of owning Chondro, its my Best selling Jackson Pro. So that also plays a factor.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Does he use the standard speed neck on this or is it a different neck shape? I can’t find the answer to that anywhere…..not even this thing called “google” offered much help. thanks

')