Brands and Features That You Love That Nobody Else Does

• Thread starter IanCBoss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IanCBoss

Reaction score
I had a thought the other day, "I wonder if there are any brands that are general disliked in this community but somebody likes anyway.." Must be right? So, are there any brands that you love or have an affinity for that nobody else seems to care for? Also on the flip side of that are their any brands that everybody seems to love but you don't like at all?

For me it's less one brand and more a technology in general. Personally, I like Solid State amps and think they would work just fine for most average, non-professional players. Sure Tube amps generally sound better but I dot think there is anything wrong with most of the decent solid state amps I have played through.

So go forth, go forth and defend your oddball choice!

This is my first thread so bare with me and feel free to correct me if I am posting it in the wrong spot or something.

EDIT: Also, if there are any unusual specs on guitars (fanned fret sixes and other such rarities) that you like give them a shout out as well.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackWinds10

Kick em in the nuts!
Reaction score
I kinda like Line 6 as well.

Prefer Dimarzio over BKP or Seymour, I don't know if thats THAT weird, but considering the BKP fanboys, it kinda is.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
i was actually gonna say line 6 as well, but as it stands now, most people in this forum actually DO like L6 :lol:
With my friends I find myself defending it cause they always say everything L6 blows. Once I even hinted at the idea of replacing my Dual Terror with a POD HD pro/rocktron velocity rig and my bandmates went apeshit :rofl:

MrNotFlyWhiteGuy

Reaction score
Well I don't like line 6, but for whatever reason I like bc rich which doesn't seems to be the consensus around here but whatever. I hope that one day they can get their shit together and offer stuff that people actually want at decent prices

broj15

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who use a fender amp as their main rig.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
man I hope tags a joke :lol:

I'd say Epiphone. Sure it's not as prestigious as Gibson, but they have way cooler guitars than Gibson.

Noncontroversially, I also like Gretsch

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
So it's gonna be one of those threads where people just list stuff that is actually well loved by the looks of things :lol: Considering how many people on this site own Line 6 products, there being a POD HD megathread because of it's one of the most popular hardware modelers and how often people express their love/like for Line 6 gear, how the .... does that come to mind when you see the thread title? :lol:

It's like you've missed the point of your own thread too with solid state amps too OP.
It's commonly used and well loved by many on here, whether it be analog SS heads or running solid state power amps with a modeler. A lot of the stigma attached to SS amps is going away and they're being embraced more and more.
There are bass players here and I'm willing to bet my left nut more people use SS for their bass rigs than tube (which I think nowadays is true in the wider bass community with the rise of amazing sounding and super lightweight bass heads)

I kinda like Line 6 as well.

Prefer Dimarzio over BKP or Seymour, I don't know if thats THAT weird, but considering the BKP fanboys, it kinda is.

Perhaps if you liked Rio Grande or Lindy Fralin or any of those smaller companies (like Guitarfetish listed above) then perhaps you might be on the 'weird side'
But considering Dimarzio is a giant in the pickup world and that Dimarzio, EMG, SD and BKP are by far the most used pickups on SS.org, you're not exactly an outlier on this site :lol:

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
I GOT ONE!

I actually really like the boss metalzone on a very clean amp sound, used right, it makes this hypnotic, menacing tone that is widely considered shit :lol:

Tzar27

Reaction score
I'd say Epiphone as well, but pretty much everyone I regularly jam with uses Epiphones as well :lol: so I guess I can't say that.

I suppose I'd have to say DR Strings would be my only really weird brand. I typically use D'Addario stuff for standard tunings (EXP115W on my Epi Explorer and EXP110 on my PRS SE C24), but I keep an 11-54 set on my Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy for Drop C and it's really hard to find a set that works so well in that tuning on a 24.75" scale outside of DR's DDT line... Or at least it is where I shop. So yeah, go DR.

Electro Harmonix also seems to have a mediocre rap nowadays, but I have a Jazz pickup in the neck position of my Explorer and running that thing through an EHX Big Muff Pi then a Memory Boy into my Fender combo produces some sexy King Crimson-esque tones with the tone knob rolled off and makes for awesome soloing tones with it turned up.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Fernandes guitars, my newfound BFF. Just bought a used Vertigo elite (w. sustainer PU). NUGD thread coming later..

It was the first time in a while I bought a guitar from a store and had the pleasure of testing it thoroughly before buying it. It was fun, I have to do that more. :D

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm in danger of stepping overboard on the pimpin' but.... :lol:

Free The Tone.

I'm only mentioning it because it's not really well known at all in this forum. As far as I know, Scruffy, Artdecade and myself are the only ones in this forum that have experiences with these. Yes I pimp these a lot to the point of being annoying even for my liking, but I really do believe in the products, so much that they're gonna be all over my future studio projects and my main live rig.

So far I've got 3.

10338742_787515641292588_275219393774865428_n.jpg

...I may end up getting 2 more as well. :lol:

ash-animated.gif

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I feel like not enough people on this site use Eventide gear. That stuff is amazing! This being a seven string forum and so many people loving Passion & Warfare, it just baffles me.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
I might be using a technicality in saying GHS Progressives strings. I know that many people use and like GHS strings, but I do not often hear of other people who use Progressives. I do not like using nickel-wound strings after having heard and felt the difference.

')