Brands and Features That You Love That Nobody Else Does

• Thread starter IanCBoss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that short guy

Reaction score
For me I like (6 string) guitars with a 24 3/4" scale with 24 frets which doesn't seem to be too terribly popular with all the down tuning around here lol. That's why my ec 1000 fr gets a lot of love. I also really love the evertune bridges

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I like BOSS modelling products. :shrug:

I've been using a GT-6 for well over a decade now, and i've got that sucker dialled in. And i've also found some unique idiosyncrasies in how the patches are structured and how you can assign parameters that give me access to some seriously messed-up effects.

I had a GT6 and once dialed in, it sounded great. Just so complicated.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I've got this thing for 24.75" scales and 22 frets so yeah I'd say I'm an outlier here. I just completely prefer 22 to 24 most days for whatever reason.

Rise

Reaction score
I love my BOSS HM-2. People usually dig my tone until they see that pedal, then I get an obligatory comment about it being complete garbage. :lol:

bhakan

Reaction score
More recently I've really started to appreciate pedals for distortion, which while isn't odd in a lot of places, it's not too common here. For metal tones I still prefer a good tube amp, but for my band I've been switching to primarily using a good overdrive and fuzz for my dirt, which I never would have expected a couple years ago.

protest

Reaction score
I have a BC Rich NJ Warlock with a Dimebucker in the bridge, so in other words all the opinions I've expressed in my previous 814 posts have now just been invalidated. I can't possibly be taken seriously anymore. It's like it was specially made by Guitar Center for 14 year olds everywhere, but I love it.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I've been a huge Carvin fan since before I started playing in '93. It seems like Carvin is finally catching on here but in general they are still pretty much a rarity in most guitar circles. I love it when somebody that isn't familiar with Carvin gets their hands on one and the complete look of disbelief that ensues just kills me because I've been there.

I also happen to really like my Behringer keyboard amp for 8 string use and running a modeler through. It's basically a 300 PA with a 15" speaker but it's cheap, very clear, handles the freqs and is plenty loud. I think that it is suited perfectly for the ERG stuff and I've always recommended a keyboard amp and modeler to people over guitar amps for 8, 9 and 10 string guitars. I know what you're thinking though, "Behringer amps don't hold up on the road!" and while I'm sure that is true I'll just have to keep that in mind on my next world tour. My keyboard amp travels about as frequently as my fridge and thank god because I'm pretty sure the amp weighs more.

Lace Alumitone pickups are another guilty pleasure of mine. While a lot of people use more traditional pickups whenever possible and use the Lace pups as needed because of string spacing and angles etc I just love the sound.

Godin. Nuff said.

Ashstrodamus

Reaction score
I GOT ONE!

I actually really like the boss metalzone on a very clean amp sound, used right, it makes this hypnotic, menacing tone that is widely considered shit :lol:
I have one I used to use on my Crate amp. I bought a Boogie Mark IV, so I use no pedals anymore unless I take my Fender Champ for some one on one guitar practice, which I use the Metalzone for the Champ. Great little pedal but doesn't work too good on the Boogie.

tmemike

Through My Eyes
Reaction score
I honestly love Laguna. They've been my go-to road 6 string for years now, and i've never had an issue with them. And to be honest i'm not nice to my guitars on stage, so any guitar that can handle a beating like a Laguna can is a friend to me :)

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
I love my BOSS HM-2. People usually dig my tone until they see that pedal, then I get an obligatory comment about it being complete garbage. :lol:

You missed bands like Nails and Trap Them making the HM-2 sound popular again?

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I had a GT6 and once dialed in, it sounded great. Just so complicated.

I've never understood why people find them so complicated. They make perfect sense to me. :shrug:

But compared to dialling knobs on an amp and with pedals, they ARE complicated. Every modeller is. Maybe my brain is just wired for that kind of complexity. :D

fortisursus

Reaction score
Fender and now Gibson! In general most guitars and gear out there aren't "Bad". I've been quite impressed with the higher end LTDs too.

fwd0120

Bipedal Hominid
Reaction score
Digitech, Line 6, Rickenbacker. Cheap guitars.

Basically my ideology = Player > Gear.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I dunno if this happens much here, but, in general, this is one I keep running into:

Ibanez tremolos

Floyd users like to hate on them a lot, but the Edge Zero II on my RG Premium is by far the best trem I've ever used. Meanwhile, the only way I'll use a Floyd is if it's not floating... and even then, I'm lucky if the tremolo arm will stay put without me having to constantly tighten it.

Rise

Reaction score
You missed bands like Nails and Trap Them making the HM-2 sound popular again?

I live in an alternate world where the only amp for playing metal of any kind is a Peavey 6505/6505+. I haven't checked out either of those bands, but even mentioning Entombed is greeted with looks of confusion here.

Either way, it just helps my tone be abrasively different. :lol:

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
More recently I've really started to appreciate pedals for distortion, which while isn't odd in a lot of places, it's not too common here. For metal tones I still prefer a good tube amp, but for my band I've been switching to primarily using a good overdrive and fuzz for my dirt, which I never would have expected a couple years ago.

This is a big one for me. In the past year, a nice fuzz with an OD in front has been my favorite "heavy" sound.

')