Brent Hinds pickups

• Thread starter 5656130
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
Oh yeah havent seen any mastodon talk on here so...

Anyone know what pickups brent was using in his white gibson v back in the remission leviathan days just stock gibson pickups or did he changem out

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
As far as I know, he has only ever used the pickups a particular guitar comes with, so I'd assume that he recorded Remission and Leviathan with stock Gibson pickups.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Gibson 500t's will get you very close to his sound assuming you have a mahogany guitar. If you dont, I had a Duncan Full Shred in a poplar /w maple neck thru guitar once, when played through my JCM800 it sounded identical to Blood Mountain.

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
Gibson 500t's will get you very close to his sound assuming you have a mahogany guitar. If you dont, I had a Duncan Full Shred in a poplar /w maple neck thru guitar once, when played through my JCM800 it sounded identical to Blood Mountain.
yeah i was planning on buying a gibson v and those are the pickups that come with it not sure what wood its made out of though but it is the same guitar he plays

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
He also plays a variety of different guitars that have an effect on his sound more than the pickups but if you want to know the secret - its all in the face tattoo

9890296_BrentHinds-Tattoo.jpg

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
A lot of his guitars are custom Gibsons, so probably custom Gibson pickups too.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
According to ChaCha Answers "Brent Hinds uses humbuckers as his pickups on his Flying V." hahahaha

I found a snippet from a Premiere Guitar interview with the boys:

On your Gibsons, do you stick with the stock humbuckers or do you guys drop in something else?

BH: It’s the same deal as with effects man, I don’t like getting too complicated or messing with something that works. I can’t even tell you what pickups I play… whatever happens to be in the guitar when I plug it in. I’m just technology-challenged.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
In the newest Orange Amps advert, he's holding a V that has bar-magnet pickups. Just based on their sound, and, assuming it's a "major" brand pickup, I think it may be a Duncan El Diablo??? I don't think that Brent would really go for an X2N, just doesn't seem to be his style. Plus the pole-pieces on the neck are almost certainly Duncan's. Anyway, those are the only 2 pickups I know off hand which have the dual-bars.

Mastodon-Wall-of-Orange.png

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
In the newest Orange Amps advert, he's holding a V that has bar-magnet pickups. Just based on their sound, and, assuming it's a "major" brand pickup, I think it may be a Duncan El Diablo??? I don't think that Brent would really go for an X2N, just doesn't seem to be his style. Plus the pole-pieces on the neck are almost certainly Duncan's. Anyway, those are the only 2 pickups I know off hand which have the dual-bars.

Mastodon-Wall-of-Orange.png

DiMarzios wouldn't suit him at all I don't think. Plus it's different bar styles anyway.
Maybe a Dimebucker?

FFFDFEFRFKFFF

Reaction score
I think they change all the time but in most interviews with Bill and him they say something about using stock neck pickups and Duncan Distortions, I know the above pick completely kills that statement, but it'd probably get you closer easier.

Steve-Om

Reaction score
I know that Bill uses Duncan Distortions, at last for Crack in The Skye thats what he used, I might assume the setup is/was similar for Brent, and probably the same on earlier albums, despite the fact that they use different amps for different things

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
Yeah well i was going for the early remission leviathan lifes blood ep stuff so im gueswsing he just kept the stock pickups in his v untill recently as shown in the orange ad i know that pickup change caused quite a buzz for a few people

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Brent is just one those guys (you know, assholes :lol:) who sounds like a million bucks regardless what he uses.

Bastard... :wub:

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
Brent is just one those guys (you know, assholes :lol:) who sounds like a million bucks regardless what he uses.

Bastard... :wub:

i know and he changes his damn rig every 5 months so its real hard to keep track of what hes using one day hell be running a marshall stack with the fender combo next thing you know hes signed with orange

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
wait guys i know what it is now

His beard why didnt i see it before its the beard that gives him the skills and sounds

')