Bridge woes: Ibby Edge Pro 7 or Floyd Pro 1000

• Thread starter Leuchty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
So,

My 1527m needs a new bridge as the original one is not in the best shape.

I was originally going to get a new Edge Pro from Rich (IbanezRules) and eventually do the lock stud mod. This would be just under $400 shipped to AUS.

I have researched a little and noticed OFR's fit in an EP7 cavity (correct me if I'm wrong). So I was looking at the Black Nickel Floyd Rose Pro 1000.

I know its made in Korea, but I have read some solid reviews. I also know that many people will advise me to get the EP7. I could look at getting a Gotoh, but I really like the style of the Pro series.

The FR Pro would set me back maybe $250 and no mods needed.

Should I just get the EP7 and restore my unicorn to its former glory (with the eventual mod) or try out the FR Pro?

For the record, Im not a HUGE trem user. I love the tuning stability. Would the Lock Stud be a must if I'm not riding it like a bitch? So far the thing holds tune nicely but not 100%. Im putting that down to condition of the EP thats in it.

Thanks for any advise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Edge Pro. I love the build, feel, and stability. Is it worth the extra $150 to you though? I've still never touched a Floyd Pro, so I have zero knowledge of the stability or quality. I end up blocking every trem in my guitars, so I base my choice solely on how it feels against my hand at the end of the day. I love how simple it is to change strings on the Edge as well.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I have a guitar with an OFR 7 and one with whatever 7 string trem Ibanez was using in 2005 (lo pro? Edge Pro?). I prefer the Ibanez term and would pay extra for it. Honestly I'm thinking of swapping the OFR with an Ibanez unit.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas!

I do like the Edge Pro. Its sleek, comfy and IS easy to maintain/restring.

I do, also, like OFR's. I guess I have to think about whats worth more to me. Like I said Im not a HUGE trem user, so would the mod be necessary?

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas!

I do like the Edge Pro. Its sleek, comfy and IS easy to maintain/restring.

I do, also, like OFR's. I guess I have to think about whats worth more to me. Like I said Im not a HUGE trem user, so would the mod be necessary?

Which mod are you talking about? There are a few that come to mind.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
The Edge Pro is literally the only trem I like, and would be a must in a guitar I would buy if it had to come with a trem. I've tried the Lo-Pro, and the Lo-TRS, and none of them stand up to the Edge Pro in my opinion. I would even take it over the Lo-Pro any day of the week.

However, I block all of my trems as well, so do I believe the EP to be worth $400? Hmm... that's a buttload of money so I'm not sure at the moment. I think that if you were going to block the trem anyways, then probably not. However, if you prefer the feel of the EP to any other tremolo, and you also want to do your best to restore the guitar to its original form, then yeah, I would say it would be worth every penny.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Have you checked the setup of your trem? A little tweaking makes a big difference.

Just to clarify: The Edge Pro should be setup dead flat like an OFR, as opposed to the Edge/LoPro Edge/Edge III.

set-edgepro.jpg

ibanez-cut-edgepro-linea.jpg

21.gif

The locking stud mod helps immensely with tuning stability, but if you're not a heavy user, it's not all too necessary. As long as the setup is tip top.

Also Gotoh only make 3 kinds of 7 string bridges: Original Edge 7 (rare on early UVs), Lo Pro Edge 7, and Edge Pro 7. If they made a 7 string version of the Gotoh Floyd 6s, I would have replaced the Edge Pros a long time ago... :lol:

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Technically there is nothing wrong with the bridge, intonation is a bit of a pain because of the corrosion, I just want to restore it to its former glory.

I appreciate all the insight guys, cheers!

')