Bronies of SS.Org

• Thread starter Hemi-Powered Drone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
The power of Irony is really the only thing this generation of teens has going for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
Your generation has somehow turned irony, into their own little super power.

Show for girls:: internet cult following started on the internet by boys/man-children

It's pretty self-explanatory.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
It's definitely not the fact they like the show?

I think the fact that this thread exists proves it's more about the ironic following (the I'm in the brony club! thing) than just appreciation for the show. The word "brony" is even a shot at irony. I mean the show is watchable, but I'm not sure it's so great that it must become part of one's identity...especially older dudes.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Eh, Its not really my thing to be honest. And I'm kinda biased against bronies because of a few bad egg's I've met. They like to tout that "love and tolerance" stuff and.... lets just say they need to practice what they preach. :ugh:
I know its not good to generalize, I've met and see a few good bronies (Especially the people on this forum), but :ugh:.

The show's decent. I couldn't get into it though. Then again, the only shows I can still watch from my childhood are Ed, Edd, & Eddy and Johnny Bravo. I'm into the Discovery Channel and History channel now. :rofl: And I'm ever so slowly getting back into anime, but I really doubt I will fully get back into it. :lol:

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I think the fact that this thread exists proves it's more about the ironic following (the I'm in the brony club! thing) than just appreciation for the show. The word "brony" is even a shot at irony. I mean the show is watchable, but I'm not sure it's so great that it must become part of one's identity...especially older dudes.
Brony is Bro + Pony, the word itself isn't related to the obvious love affair they have with irony and MLP.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Brony is Bro + Pony, the word itself isn't related to the obvious love affair they have with irony and MLP.

I understand the root words lol. But it's totally about irony itself. "Bros" typically "Guy" guys, liking ponies (typically something that little girls want more than anything in the world, and even more, a cartoon show about ponies meant for young girls).

To clarify, brony is a combination of something masculine with something that isn't. I mean, I understand it's kind of a joke name, but I think it's also telling.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
you're reading too far into it.

seriously, the average "Bro" isn't capable of this kind of high level intelligence.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
you're reading too far into it.

seriously, the average "Bro" isn't capable of this kind of high level intelligence.

It's extremely likely that I am...:ugh:

Oh also, I didn't want to imply that people who like the show are dumb. It just seems like a joke that's been way drawn out, in my personal opinion. If somebody actually legitimately likes it, watch it by all means!

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
reading too far into it

or a mythic bro capable of high level thought?

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Yeah definitely, you're average bro would be like;

"Duuuuuuuuuuuuudeeeee, Bro and Pony... Brony, fawx yeahhh!" *Headbutts other brony*

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I was once called a furry in BF3. I was rather confused.

Anyway. This Brony thing, what're we gonna do if someone says, "anypony" or "everypony"?

I say we resort to violence like real men, and punch 'em in the arm.

Dethonator

Metalhead Brony
Reaction score
I was once called a furry in BF3. I was rather confused.

Anyway. This Brony thing, what're we gonna do if someone says, "anypony" or "everypony"?

I say we resort to violence like real men, and punch 'em in the arm.

mlp-dderp.png
I remember those days on FacePunch.

I take that MLPFIM is rather a new concept on SevenString, so let me fill some of you curious lurker people, through my personal journey.
mlp-robviously.png

It all began some time last year in March. I was a college freshman and just discovered the internet. Well, not really. I occassionally dropped by 4chan when I was in high school, before it became a super-NSFW site, and I made a couple of demotivational posters here and there during my senior year of HS. Anyway, my college had free wifi, and I needed to burn time until the next time, so I visited some sites, my favorite at the time was this forum called Facepnch, which is full off Steam/Half-Life/Gmod/PC Gamer fanboys. You know. I noticed a few references to the show, and I eventually stumbled upon know your meme. Now, believe it or not, KYM gets a lot of hate from the internet community, partially because it is so professional that it makes memes lose their edginess. Aperently they are own by Sony, but that's another story. Regardless, the article it had bronies was well-done, so I actually decided to watch it. Oh, I had feeling it was all just a stupid, hipster irony gimmick.
mlp-dhipster.png

I went into to the first 7 minutes of the episode, didn't really like it, and my impatience got the best of me. I proceeded to class, and for got about it. However, I left the tab on chrome on, so I eventually found it late at night. I got better to do, and my insomnia was trying its best to keep me up, so I decided to watch. The characters were rather interesting, but they felt stereotypical. Then again, perhaps I was too judgmental. What really threw me off was at the end of the 2nd episode(it was a two part episode) where the ponies essentially went "Mighty-Morphin Power Rangers" and combined their elements of Harmony(special talisman-thingies they went on a quest for) and essentially destroyed Nightmare moon by making her taste the mother-bucking rainbow beam they fired at her. It just reminded me of Powerpuff girls, and then I remembered that the creator of the show is none other than Lauren Faust, who worked on it, along with Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
mlp-twist.png

Anyway, it turns out that the first two episodes were kinda gimmicky, but I kept watching, and what really inspired me was the YouTube comments. All I read were people reading the statistics of the video, that it was most popular for men ages 18-25, 25-40 and girls 18-25. Basically, college-aged "kids" and some older gents. And then there were comments like how manly the show is, or how the commentor has a test tomorrow, yet he chooses more pony. I stayed up all night watching the episodes.
mlp-tcrazy.png

Next thing I knew, I joined the MLP thread on FacePunch. Then, I noticed that there is a whole freaking music scene forming in the fandom, mostly just electronic covers/remixes. I figured "what the hell" and made some shitty metal covers of the show's songs. Before I knew it, I got featured on Equestria Daily, the most well-known brony news site, and I gradually got some followers. A little less than 1800 subscribers on youtube at the moment. Knowing that this is SS, my skills are sub-par, but that is why I joined this site, to learn and become better at what I apparently do now.
mlp-octavia.png

Sadly, the thread on FP attracted to many trolls. A lot of people really hate bronies on FP, and the mods felt that eliminating ponies would solve it, because like some of these folks here, they felt that it's just a dumb trend that will just fade away, like a meme. OH, were they wrong. We left the old forums, started our own forums, our own servers, our own websites, and did a lot of DIY stuff. We became an internet subculture.

It didn't stop there, meetup groups eventually started happening, and I joined the NYC one. Our first BronyCon happened in June 2011, less than 100 of us showed up. September, we got 300. January, nearly 1000. This summer, we estimate 4000, so we rented out the Meadowlands Expo. In the last three BronyCons, we actually had directors and voice actresses show up. This summer, we are having the creator, Lauren Faust confirmed, along with John de Lancie. He played Q in Star Trek. He plays Discord in My Little Pony.
mlp-discsmug.png

But the grand question is why, right? To sum it up, if you are a fan of animation, just like if you are a fan of guitars, you will like this show. The artists don't need to rely on script to make the right facial expressions, the voice acting is spot on, and the character development is pretty damn mature for a kid's show. Heck, it has reached a point where you no longer have to say "...for a kid's show." The homages it makes are stuff your grandparents can appreciate, and it doesn't really rely on innuendo or pop-culture parodies to be charming. It isn't a conspiracy by the evil toy-makers of Hasbro to sell toys, they actually are going on a new model to make a good show. It has reached a point where even background characters with a few seconds of air time are given so much attention by the fans.
mlp-scratch.png

But of course, there is more; you come for the ponies, you stay for the bronies. This fandom has the nicest people, and they are really encouraging if you're an artist or a musician. Again, everybody is DIY, most of the brony musicians are barely pushing 20 and are now given the opportunities to come out of their shells. Personally, I owe a lot to bronies for getting me into more progressive stuff, and even becoming tolerant of some electronic music. Plus, I learned a few things here and there regarding production. Granted, in my respective opinion, I suck as a musician, but I still feel honored that there are people who actually care about what I write. And hey, we have been around for only 1 year. We actually raised several thousands of dollars for charity events, and I'm even collaborating on a huge charity album. Plus, I met a lot of cool real-life friends and band members. And what ties us together s that bronies have a lot of things in common with each other, especially internet humor, old TV shows, and all that artsy stuff.

Everytime we ever meet someone from the press or the show, and these are from honest, hard-working folks, the first thing they tell us is that they have never, in their entire lives saw a fandom like ours develop so quickly. We got really good artists, musicians(not me, haha) who are almost on par with professionals, and we even got video games being made. It is surreal, but it is happening. I don't really consider myself much of a weirdo, in all honesty. Sure I like ponies, but I have other hobbies and I'm not really that depressed or agressive. But I'm also hearing inspiring stories of how MLP, and the fandom, changed peoples lives for the better. When you take a step back, you realize it isn't really about trying to be ironic or hip, it's actually just an appreciation of animation, a culture, and of course, Love and Tolerance.
mlp-fwink.png

')