Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Im through a horrendously obsessive "rack equipment" phase. So im creating this to both talk shop with other scumbags of my ilk, as well as hopefully discover new sh*t. Im also opening my shop in November here in Cali and its geared SPECIFICALLY toward extended range players and equipment that accommodates them. Hence the name Modern Musician Online, although it will be an actual shop too. It's also geared toward the working man, the musician on a budget and I bought/accumulated my MASSIVE in inventory via auctions mostly, getting alot of it dirt cheap thus, allowing me to redistribute it dirt cheap. I also have my own guitar line that extended range players will F***ING LOVE! So.. now it's minaj baby. I want to discover, I want to discuss, I want to plug my own sh*t for sales.. but mostly I want your knowledge. What budget rack gear, or combinations of sleeper rack equipment have you been able to pull djenty, filthy, absolutely DISGUSTING tones out of that maybe we wouldn't believe at first it wouldn't know about. I have ALOT of good information AND sources for you penny Pinchers looking for recto gains at squier prices.. what custom shop sources do you have. I have some for you. Let the flood gates open, I want to buy everything ever.....this week anyways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Mancave5b-004656.png this right here, genuine custom Mesa Dual Rec Preamp in a single rack space.. $499. Unbeatable

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Now that! .....is definitive budget hi Gain rack equipment. Although, not exactly a sleeper. Thanks to being exceptionally close to a former engineer of there out here in Cali.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
ENGL e530 preamps go for relatively cheap, as well as the Peavey Rockmaster. There are also some decent effects units that go for super cheap like older Lexicon units

Bearitone

Reaction score
When and where did you acquire the Mosvalve 942? Just curious.

Edit: NVM i thought it could possibly be the one i sold recently but, it’s not actually a 942 (500 watt)

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Looks like you've already got one in there, but the Avid Eleven Rack definitely felt like a sleeper piece when I had one. Pretty easy to cop one for like $250~$300 second-hand and the tones I was able to pull out of that thing were pretty much on par with what I get from my AxeFX.

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Woooow . Crate XLP.. JUST learned about that 2 days ago.. been tryin like hell to hunt one down

Rxcoma

Reaction score
I have an offer to buy a Soho Acoustics QTR-1 for $220.. I was thinking about buying a Dean Markley DB preamp and doing a super quick one solder hi Gain mod on it .since it's technically for acoustic guitars. They look so sick tho and I can turn em into djent machines.. and I have an offer to get a DigiTech 2101 for $85

Reaction score
I got a few pieces of rack gear for a fantastic good price (2nd hand obviously). The first was a 2:fifty Mesa boogie power amp for 400€. It was flawless at the time, like new. I've been seeing some similar at also very good prices in a local "Craig List" site, but not as good priced.

Another rack piece I got for a bargain was a G-Force, I got it for 100€, it had the left output not working, I had it repaired for 70€ so it was a total of 170€... but it was version 1.0. I then bought the G-Card for almost the price I paid for it but it still cost me less than what I see it selling. It's an old digital multiFX unit, but it still rocks pretty damn well.

Triaxis are also selling pretty cheap these days and if they are in working order, they are fantastic preamps...

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
I have an offer to buy a Soho Acoustics QTR-1 for $220.. I was thinking about buying a Dean Markley DB preamp and doing a super quick one solder hi Gain mod on it .since it's technically for acoustic guitars. They look so sick tho and I can turn em into djent machines.. and I have an offer to get a DigiTech 2101 for $85

Granted that's double what I paid for my Qtr but that's still not bad as it is a killer preamp, same circuit as the Kitty Hawk quattro but 2U to keep it from melting itself.
And I have a gsp21 just sitting.....

Spinedriver

Reaction score
ART SGX-2000. They are rad, but noisy. You can choose tube or solid state pre-amps inside it. I want to hear that Recto Preamp. It looks cool. Never heard of it.

I have an SGX-2000 and have had it for roughly 20 yrs now. The eq & effects were really pretty good (even though it doesn't have a phaser effect) and I always used either a pedal in front of it or used it in the fx loop of an amp because I was never really impressed with the preamp/distortion section of it.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Woooow . Crate XLP.. JUST learned about that 2 days ago.. been tryin like hell to hunt one down

Dude I know I have it as a saved reverb search and every time one pops I'm broke :scream:

Rxcoma

Reaction score
I have the GSP1101.. as you might've seen in the pics.. and so.. I SHOULD buy the Soho? Because im only allowing myself $300 to spend today.. and it's between the Soho $220 or an ISP Theta $300... The theta will have WAAAAAY higher profitability when im done with it .IF I ever become done with it.. EVERYONE says it's amazing. So.. Soho for the 220 or Theta for 300?

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Oh.. and I have a SGX2000 already.. I just don't have the X-15 floorboard with it

Latest posts