Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

Mourguitars

Reaction score
On the Expression , i have it in the loop ..Mono /Analog..in the Ceriatone 800 i went down to -20 on the Delay

I tried every # down to -20 but that seemed to work in the setup..

I turned the EQ on and played around...i took out the mid's at -15 since i have mid heavy EL34's , a boost and the V30/G12H speakers

1189 on the freq, and 1.0 bandwidth ..really tighten the amp up

Thats with semi fresh ears and a good volume

I have the Dominion in the San Dimas Charvel..thats a mid heavy pick-up

I really like the Detune on the Replifex. I think it is preset 9 that is called Dimension that uses that effect and sounds good.

I don't like the Detune on the Intellifex though. I think there is too much of a delay to get that EVH type sound. I like it for that static STP - Plush type Chorus, but not the EVH style.

You know ..ive been working on that one preset i forgot about the Detune patch..

On the Intelilfex ...AnalogKid85's ..1-6-2012 folder has some awesome presets

Motley Riffs..
BFMV Tears dont Fall...
JP solo...
Metallica Riffs..
Lukather pan Delay...
Scorpions Rhythm...
And he had a VH Reverb that is Awesome...

Check them out

Mike

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Thank You !

I was adding in the level...sounded like @zz

The -10 did the trick my Rhythm Delays its there but not over powering like it was ...Hit "store" and done !

Need to work on the chorus ...just to add a little color, but there barley on

Those EBS Flat patch cables are nice...gave me more room in the rack tray....might try that MXR Chorus in that empty spot...save the Hardwire for the pedalboard, but first ill try to dial it in on the Multivalve first

Rig sounds fantastic with my "B " pedals...the Bad Monkey shines out of all the TS style ..it sounds the best in the rack...the right amount on mid hump

Mike

View attachment 92328

Wow man. You've got it covered. I've wanted to try those Rocktron Pre's and The Colosos since I first learned about them. What a kick ass versatile rig there man. - How do you like that Loop8 Patchmate's buffer and how is it on relay pop/click noise? Now I'm gonna be gassin over those pre's as the values skyrocket. I missed out when they had that $250 sale or whatever it was. Dang.

:shred:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Good post! Yeah, I was actually reading about the Delay source setting recently, and I still havent quite figured out how to use it. I thought it sounded like you could use it to modulate the repeats, but not sure how to set it to make that happen.

Opposite problem with my MPX-1. I try to use Detune and Delay, and it only ends up in the repeats and I dont know why, lol.

Yep, you can modulate only the reapets.
- I have to get to my rig to look at it but I think you set source 2 to 100% and it takes it off the last effect in the chain, so if you're doing a detune it will only detune the delay tap and the orignal signal can still be blended in to one or both sides as well, and you can also choose and blend via panning in the delay section which and how much of each side gets the detune effect.
- The direct uneffected signals are controlled via the input mixer dir level parameters and the mixer sections of any modulation and reverb effect using the dir <> eff balance things are all gonna wanna be set to the right at 100%. All I can remember off the top my head so I could be wrong, but I'll look again. I could be wrong. You can do the doubled guitar type thing too with short delay times or like a -7-12cent pitch thing.
- The pre/post thing is always critical to how it affects or acts so set to pre for it to affect only the effects and direct taps(dir signal tap not delay tap) but not the analog direct and set to post for it to affect everything. - All the modaltion effects are stronger in post mode just like processor being ran in series but with Replifex pre mode is more like parallel processing. Stuff is confusing, sorry.

On the Expression , i have it in the loop ..Mono /Analog..in the Ceriatone 800 i went down to -20 on the Delay

I tried every # down to -20 but that seemed to work in the setup..

I turned the EQ on and played around...i took out the mid's at -15 since i have mid heavy EL34's , a boost and the V30/G12H speakers

1189 on the freq, and 1.0 bandwidth ..really tighten the amp up

Thats with semi fresh ears and a good volume

I have the Dominion in the San Dimas Charvel..thats a mid heavy pick-up

You know ..ive been working on that one preset i forgot about the Detune patch..

On the Intelilfex ...AnalogKid85's ..1-6-2012 folder has some awesome presets

Motley Riffs..
BFMV Tears dont Fall...
JP solo...
Metallica Riffs..
Lukather pan Delay...
Scorpions Rhythm...
And he had a VH Reverb that is Awesome...

Check them out

Mike

Nice. Not sure if you know the pre/post hush thing but with pretty much everything in the unit, if you go post hush you're gonna get more rich performance out of it (not sure which mode you're in.),but if you're in post hush the EQ will be affecting everything and in pre hush it only affects the effects (basically parallel processing) so if you want to affect the preamps tone completely using the Replifex Eq then use it in post hush, otherwise the preamp remains analog and the eq is for only the effects, but it's also for the tap off the direct too where the effects derive the signal from. The other levels for direct and effect balance and leves etc are just tapping off the direct not the entire direct signal. It's wierd. Block diagram explains it better.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Wow man. You've got it covered. I've wanted to try those Rocktron Pre's and The Colosos since I first learned about them. What a kick ass versatile rig there man. - How do you like that Loop8 Patchmate's buffer and how is it on relay pop/click noise? Now I'm gonna be gassin over those pre's as the values skyrocket. I missed out when they had that $250 sale or whatever it was. Dang.

:shred:

Thanks c7spheres !

I dont get any noise switching with my all access midi switcher...i have the black Touring one with the hex volume pedal mounted..got a smoking deal on CL on it

Dont have it hooked up at the moment..people stop by and step on all the switches for fun, but it works seamless ...

All the Pre Amps are in the Patch8...Pedals are in front going into that PedalPCB Muzzle i built ( like a Zuul ) with the thru key mod and into the Rack Tuner...

In the last loop in the patch i have the PedalPCB Muzzle top jacks into switcher ....last ...then out to the Multivalve

I bought those Buzz Kills , the Ebtech hum thing....still had ground hum...drove me nuts until i put the Muzzle noise gate last in the switcher.....

You can hear a pin drop quite now...fixed the issue

I built 2 of those noise gates...Cost about $48 in parts with the IC...well worth it !

IC THAT4301 ...has been out of stock for some time now...wanting to build a few more of those pedals.....they been talking about that pedal over at RT...some ones making clones on Reverb

Im in post mode on the effects unit...like you mentioned, You explained some other things i didnt know...thanks !!!

Damn...i played pretty good tonight for once...stoked about that

Having Great gear is inspiring ! Call me crazy but i like my rack vs the FM3...i could use that for effects in the Rack tray.....Fractal has awesome effects....but i like Tubes

Something else to try down the road with the FM3 into the rack...oh boy, ill be seeing a lot of sunrises...lol

Mike

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Thanks c7spheres !

I dont get any noise switching with my all access midi switcher...i have the black Touring one with the hex volume pedal mounted..got a smoking deal on CL on it

Dont have it hooked up at the moment..people stop by and step on all the switches for fun, but it works seamless ...

All the Pre Amps are in the Patch8...Pedals are in front going into that PedalPCB Muzzle i built ( like a Zuul ) with the thru key mod and into the Rack Tuner...

In the last loop in the patch i have the PedalPCB Muzzle top jacks into switcher ....last ...then out to the Multivalve

I bought those Buzz Kills , the Ebtech hum thing....still had ground hum...drove me nuts until i put the Muzzle noise gate last in the switcher.....

You can hear a pin drop quite now...fixed the issue

I built 2 of those noise gates...Cost about $48 in parts with the IC...well worth it !

IC THAT4301 ...has been out of stock for some time now...wanting to build a few more of those pedals.....they been talking about that pedal over at RT...some ones making clones on Reverb

Im in post mode on the effects unit...like you mentioned, You explained some other things i didnt know...thanks !!!

Damn...i played pretty good tonight for once...stoked about that

Having Great gear is inspiring ! Call me crazy but i like my rack vs the FM3...i could use that for effects in the Rack tray.....Fractal has awesome effects....but i like Tubes

Something else to try down the road with the FM3 into the rack...oh boy, ill be seeing a lot of sunrises...lol

Mike

I'll bet it sounds incredible! Thanks for sharing this. I'm really starting to gas a bit now : ) Throw in the FM3 and theres probably nothing it can't do.

- Sidebar; Something to be aware of is if you're getting hum and noise and need the gate to block it, and even though it's a solution, you're tone and feel will get even better (like a lot better) if you can actually solve the ground issues. Problem is it can take forever and pulling out your hair before you get there. People die of old age tyring to solve this stuff.

- Something to maybe look into if you ever feeling like trying to tackle that monster again would be isolation.

- I'm using a wannabe star grounding method type approach, Humfrees, and a combination of Hum Eliminators when needed (even though I don't really need Hum Eliminators, they help when other locations have issues, the neighbors a/c unit kicks on etc, and they are a godsend to have in there). Not that I'm traveling around with my rig or anything. I just keep them connected because I like how they feel and don't have to worry. They keep all the signals "in check" and also keep phase shifting from existing because I'm doing a stereo rig with unbalanced cables. The phase shifting is that random thing that happens where you think things feel or sound thinner and then they get better but you can't palce your finger on it, or one side gets louder than the other for a moment even though they were both even a second ago. You question if it's just in your head or if it's the gear it's so subtle. The Ebtech's solve those problems and keep things stable and in check, which translates to more stability in the feel.

- I learned some tricks from a tech at Mesa a long time ago. Use Humfrees rack tabs on everything except the power amp and power supply, put electrical tape on the rack rails except the power amp and power supply, if needed put butcher paper sandwiched between pieces except the power amp, use the star ground method whenever possible, and never use cheap power strips or switchmode supplys like I-Spots and such. I tried all that and stuff got a lot better. After years more experimenting things are basically perfect in that area.

- I just recently got my rack back together and had major grounding and hum issues and couldn't figure them out. I was getting midi zipper noises from expression pedals bleeding into the audio (which shoudn't be possible) and all kinds of crap. - After about two weeks and almost giving up I found out it was just that I accidentally used a 2.5mm tip adapter on my Axess GRX4 rather than a 2.1mm tip. All problems solved with that small change. I tore the rack apart and rebuilt it multiple times before the sound cured it self out of nowhere. I started poking around and the second I touched that power supply tip on the GRX4 I could control it from perfect to garbage by breathing on it basically. I poked around there before and it never did that but now it's all good again. No issues since. That extra 0.4mm was causing the midi jacks ground to ground to audio ground (before the midi opto-isoaltor).
- A little bit risky thing I'll do too sometimes is get small alligator clip wires and clip one end to the power supply ground or another peice of gear and then poke around with the other end touching things. Basically probing for when it gets better or worse. - I found that when the rack is on heavy distortion channel I can wave my hand around gear in mid air and the bleeding interference will come through like an antenna. Helps narrow down problem areas and then can start connecting and lifting grounds to get everything perfect. When everything is good there is no more interference or bleed through. I'm just glad I finally got done with it and can jam again. This stuff is way to involved sometimes.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
@Shask @Mourguitars
Good post! Yeah, I was actually reading about the Delay source setting recently, and I still havent quite figured out how to use it. I thought it sounded like you could use it to modulate the repeats, but not sure how to set it to make that happen.

Opposite problem with my MPX-1. I try to use Detune and Delay, and it only ends up in the repeats and I dont know why, lol.

So I was messing around with it last night and remember how it works. This might sound wierd and might change everything about this processor for you in terms of new experimenting. Like I said, there's still mystery in this thing.

Basically, take the "source 2" parameter and set it to "voice 2", set the dir/eff mix to 100% in the mixer section for everything (possibly not necessary but it's a good starting place) and the critical thing here is to turn down the pitch shifters volume all the way (wtf!) yeah, turn down all the modulation effects volumes (even if they aren't turned on) use the blend in the mixer section and dir/eff levels along with the reverb and delay settings to dial it in. It's one of those mixer's within a mixer in a mixer within a enigma in a paradox in a dream things. :lol:
- This starts getting really bizzare to the pointof not making sense. Like why does the phaser volume matter or change things if it's not even in the chain or turned on? Yeah it's weird.

- You can do things like have only the delay taps with pitch shifter on them but if you also turn chorus on it will be in there to, on only the taps. If you want the pitch only in the direct or vise-versa that can be done to. It works on the flanger and other stuf too.
- Stuff that's quasi-possible but has to be dialed in by ear is stuff like having a chorus on only the direct centered L/R, while also having a chorus and pitch on only the repeats. Stuff like that is more of a practical illusion but can be done with reverb blends etc.

- It's probably best if I make some patches and make a .sysex file or recall settings sheet for you so you can see how they are constructed and how subtle differences can do amazing things never thought possible from this unit. It may take me some time to get them done but if interested I can make a couple example patches. I don't have a drop box or anything so I can email them or upload them to some place I don't need an account to do so. I could also to a recall settings sheet and attach them here or something. I don't think Rocktron let's just anyone upload patches to their patchbay exchange thing but I'll look into that too. I'll make some with more extreme rate and pitch settings so it's obvious what they're doing when you bink and mute a string or something like that.

Last edited:

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Wow awesome info and Tip !

Ive seen that star ground before, in less smaller racks...makes sense along with those tabs ect...correct the problem..but my hum wasn't bad , but it was there

Tonights project is go get the iPad , put in the lap and do whatcha said in the post above...then hit the compare button !

Im on OS Catalina on my iMac ...i dont even know if the .sysex / midi ono works now with the Fractal Editor installed it seems to take over with there icon , but i can boot up on my old hard drive ...just remembered

These units are way smarter , and the manual doesn't cover these tricks..looking forward to try !

Mike

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Wow awesome info and Tip !

Ive seen that star ground before, in less smaller racks...makes sense along with those tabs ect...correct the problem..but my hum wasn't bad , but it was there

Tonights project is go get the iPad , put in the lap and do whatcha said in the post above...then hit the compare button !

Im on OS Catalina on my iMac ...i dont even know if the .sysex / midi ono works now with the Fractal Editor installed it seems to take over with there icon , but i can boot up on my old hard drive ...just remembered

These units are way smarter , and the manual doesn't cover these tricks..looking forward to try !

Mike
I'll probably come up with a recall sheet too since you can't export a Replfiex. sysex file to a Multivalve but just keep messing with stuff and you'll get an idea how wierd it is. Like I said, there's still mystery in there. I'm not positive the Multivavle reacts exactlyt he same as the Replifex but I assume it does because they're almost ideantical. I had a Multivavle a long time ago but didn't use it long enough to know if this stuff reacts the same or not. I'd bet it does though.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
I have the Replifex as well, its just not used at the moment..i cut both on and go thru each parameter , other than the Tube and one mono input i think they are the same

Mike

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Worked ....you da man !

Awesome tip and trick...

Mike
Awesome! I just hacked a couple pags from the Replifex manual and made a preset recall sheet for you and @Shask or anyone else that's wants it to keep track of important presets.
- I added the columns to the right. Here's a quick breakdown;
- "Stored Value" is obviusly what the stored value is.
- "Initial Value" is whatever you want it to be. For example if you always recal that preset in a bypassed state or use a realtime control etc then the parameter may not intially be the same as the stored value. It's more of a reminder tab of what the parameter value should be upon recall.
- CC# and Upper and Lower value are for any parameter that use continuous control within that preset.
- I was gonna make a form you could just type it in but then it was to much work for a recall sheet.
So for anyone that wants it I've attached it.

Attachments

• Replifex Recall Sheet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Man ....thats so awesome !

Ill print a lot of copies and put them in a folder...its a lot better than my hand written notes that i cant hardly read or make out at times in my ringed notebook ...lol

Thanks c7spheres.....wow

I put a Timmy clone in my rack last night...its sounds great boosting my pre's...its a mid gain/boost/ad or minus bass/treble pedal....forgot i built it

My rack is sounding fantastic now as well as the Expression in the loop of my Ceriatone 800...its all coming together quite nicely this week tone wise ....about time !

But had some great tips from ya !

I did tube roll in my 800..found a great combo with the HotMod V2....been a very productive week in dialing in gear !

Again thanks

Mike

Shask

Reaction score
@Shask @Mourguitars

So I was messing around with it last night and remember how it works. This might sound wierd and might change everything about this processor for you in terms of new experimenting. Like I said, there's still mystery in this thing.

Basically, take the "source 2" parameter and set it to "voice 2", set the dir/eff mix to 100% in the mixer section for everything (possibly not necessary but it's a good starting place) and the critical thing here is to turn down the pitch shifters volume all the way (wtf!) yeah, turn down all the modulation effects volumes (even if they aren't turned on) use the blend in the mixer section and dir/eff levels along with the reverb and delay settings to dial it in. It's one of those mixer's within a mixer in a mixer within a enigma in a paradox in a dream things. :lol:
- This starts getting really bizzare to the pointof not making sense. Like why does the phaser volume matter or change things if it's not even in the chain or turned on? Yeah it's weird.

- You can do things like have only the delay taps with pitch shifter on them but if you also turn chorus on it will be in there to, on only the taps. If you want the pitch only in the direct or vise-versa that can be done to. It works on the flanger and other stuf too.
- Stuff that's quasi-possible but has to be dialed in by ear is stuff like having a chorus on only the direct centered L/R, while also having a chorus and pitch on only the repeats. Stuff like that is more of a practical illusion but can be done with reverb blends etc.

- It's probably best if I make some patches and make a .sysex file or recall settings sheet for you so you can see how they are constructed and how subtle differences can do amazing things never thought possible from this unit. It may take me some time to get them done but if interested I can make a couple example patches. I don't have a drop box or anything so I can email them or upload them to some place I don't need an account to do so. I could also to a recall settings sheet and attach them here or something. I don't think Rocktron let's just anyone upload patches to their patchbay exchange thing but I'll look into that too. I'll make some with more extreme rate and pitch settings so it's obvious what they're doing when you bink and mute a string or something like that.
I was able to get this to work the other night! I had a chorus modulated delay going.

I assume the key is the eff<>dir settings. I wish I understood those better. I am fine with all the dry/wet mixing stuff, but still not completely sure what these settings do.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I was able to get this to work the other night! I had a chorus modulated delay going.

I assume the key is the eff<>dir settings. I wish I understood those better. I am fine with all the dry/wet mixing stuff, but still not completely sure what these settings do.

I like having a super fast chorus rate and pitch in only the taps and blend in a 6 stage phaser too. It gets a cool Rotovibe type sound, and it's totally different than the Rotary in the unit which is obivously more like a leslie.

- The dir<>eff is confusing. I'm gonna have to sit down to get my head around it again so I can actually attempt to expalin it. I haven't messed with it very much for a long time now, but basically those dir<eff settings can affect things like the pitch block too. They affect the direct level input to the effects but also blend. Like the phaser one for example can affect the pitch level/blend, even if it's not turned on.

Shask

Reaction score
I like having a super fast chorus rate and pitch in only the taps and blend in a 6 stage phaser too. It gets a cool Rotovibe type sound, and it's totally different than the Rotary in the unit which is obivously more like a leslie.

- The dir<>eff is confusing. I'm gonna have to sit down to get my head around it again so I can actually attempt to expalin it. I haven't messed with it very much for a long time now, but basically those dir<eff settings can affect things like the pitch block too. They affect the direct level input to the effects but also blend. Like the phaser one for example can affect the pitch level/blend, even if it's not turned on.
From the manual they appear to be the direct/previous effect mix going to each effect. However, how that is different than the main analog mix I am not sure. They definitely seem to control the mix of the direct signal through the different effects, but it is confusing how you send it from one to another. Its like the level sends it to the main mix, but the dir<>eff just sends it to the next effect without passing it to the main mix.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Ok. I've been messing with the Replifex again and apparently forgot a lot about it. After revisiting it and taking notes I have a much better understanding of it and feel like I got a new processor in some ways : )

- I figured since I already put in a bunch of work on notes and already made the preset recall sheets that I'd package those together with at least a little more legible block diagrams than compared to the download manual, but also make a sort of "Replifex Primer" and take a stab at demystifying some of this unit.
- Hopefully others get use out of it.
- I'm glad I did this. I hear new tones in my future.
- Don't blame me because it's confusing :lol:

Here's a .pdf file of them...
- The full version has the Recall sheets from above attached but I can't upload a file that big (3mb) here so you still need the recall sheets if you want those. This has 5 pages of text and the block diagrams inside it. I also had to reduce the quality too to meet the file size limit but it's still legible.

Enjoy : )

Attachments

• - Replifex Primer -.pdf
    960.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Replifex Recall Sheet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

Shask

Reaction score
Ok. I've been messing with the Replifex again and apparently forgot a lot about it. After revisiting it and taking notes I have a much better understanding of it and feel like I got a new processor in some ways : )

- I figured since I already put in a bunch of work on notes and already made the preset recall sheets that I'd package those together with at least a little more legible block diagrams than compared to the download manual, but also make a sort of "Replifex Primer" and take a stab at demystifying some of this unit.
- Hopefully others get use out of it.
- I'm glad I did this. I hear new tones in my future.
- Don't blame me because it's confusing :lol:

Here's a .pdf file of them...
- The full version has the Recall sheets from above attached but I can't upload a file that big (3mb) here so you still need the recall sheets if you want those. This has 5 pages of text and the block diagrams inside it. I also had to reduce the quality too to meet the file size limit but it's still legible.

Enjoy : )
Very cool! I am sure it will help some people. It definitely seems confusing because there is an analog dry, and then a digital dry, but the worse part is how the digital dry has so many splits. Its not bad for general use, but confusing if you really get into trying to modulate some effects with other effects in specific ways. Makes you appreciate the Axe-FX, where you can just see how blocks are connected to other blocks as you draw the paths in the grid.

Shask

Reaction score
Loving Leon's new Pitch Detune video! Great comparison. I would have been fun to hear the Replifex in there also. I still don't like the Intellifex for this. The MPX-1 does great though.

')