Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Oh...if anyone wants ANYTHING AT ALL.. let me know...I'm in business now..

And I've been eyeing that Kartakou for a cool minute now, along with the SL/LD

Hey man, is that Boogie Rectifier preamp still available?

Thats cool as fuck!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
See NGD for Beastbox rack pre :)

Attachments

• image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51

Merrekof

Reaction score
Ah man, so many metal oriented rack preamps I didn't even kbow about!

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Guys!! I came up on a few more ABSOLUTE GOLD MINES!!!! TWO IN PARTICULAR, HOLLLLEEEEEE SHIT!!!

Rxcoma

Reaction score
EXHIBIT B! PEAVEY PGP 20 stereo instrument preamp! This is the fuzz, desert rock, down to neurosis, back up to stupid hi Gain versatile tool of the sleeper arena, GOAT LIST CONTENDER

BUT ABOVE ALL

EXHIBIT C!! BBE 651 SVC-MODEL HOLY FACKIN SHEEYIT!!! THIS!!!!!! IS THE SLEEPER GOAT I E BEEN LOOKIN FOR!!
15704738833421829191637531352971.jpg

Rxcoma

Reaction score
EXHIBIT D! BOSS ROD-10!!! I AM BLOWN THE FFFFF AWAY BY THIS LITTLE GUY

EXHIBIT E!! CRATE XLP! WE KNEW THIS WOULD RULE!

AAAAAND EXHIBIT F!! BLOWNNNN AWAY BY THE DIGITECH LEGEND II!
THERE YA HAVE IT FOLKS! IF ANY OF YOU GET A CHANCE OR COME ACROSS

1. DIGITECH 944 CHAIN REACTION DISTO/PARAMETRIC/FLANGER/CHORUS/DELAY

2. BBE 651 SVC ...MUST BE THE SVC 3 CHANNEL

OR

3. BOSS ROD-10

JUST GETTEM! YOULL BE GLAD YOU DID!!

Attachments

• 15704741102987892039523047169930.jpg
    15704741102987892039523047169930.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 23

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Dude!! I almost bought an ART power plant recently, and I've been waiting to get a PSA-1 under $200.. the power plant was $80.. should I go for that? And the one who made the Pearce 2G comment, I know.. I was looking between that and a Yamaha PS-1 .. both were appealing, but I went for the Rocktron Widowmaker in the end and DID NOT FUCKIN REGRET IT!!

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Yo, anyone wanna buy a Peavey 5150 II thru PayPal for $550 basically brand new? Gotta sell today!

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EXHIBIT B! PEAVEY PGP 20 stereo instrument preamp! This is the fuzz, desert rock, down to neurosis, back up to stupid hi Gain versatile tool of the sleeper arena, GOAT LIST CONTENDERView attachment 73383

Your description of this preamp has me extremely interested. I have plenty of tight high gain rack preamps, but none that I would say is good for desert rock, stoner, doom fuzzed-out madness. Any chance of a more in-depth review and/or some clips?

Dude!! I almost bought an ART power plant recently, and I've been waiting to get a PSA-1 under $200.. the power plant was $80.. should I go for that?

I just got the ART to compare to my PSA-1. Maybe the lore about their circuits being similar is correct, maybe not. I haven't opened them up to find out. But functionally they seem quite different to me. The ART has two channels with standard EQ controls for each, whereas the PSA-1 has one super-flexible channel with buzz/punch/crunch controls that dial in the gain in different parts of the frequency spectrum, which is how it simulates the gain structure of different amps. It also has an overall drive and low/high controls. It's a lot of controls, which is why the ability to save and recall presets is so nice. Finally, the PSA-1 has way more gain on tap without a boost.

Like I said, I have not extensively compared them yet. I also have not tried boosting the ART. But my opinion so far would be to get the Sansamp PSA-1 (or PSA-1.1, which has more presets and an on/off switch, but supposedly they were made with cheaper components).

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Sure brother! I can review it further for you, as well as drop a video into the thread here in a bit. As for the review, here we go my man!

THE PEAVEY PGP20 INSTRUMENT PRE-AMP REVIEW:

First and foremost, I gotta say. If there's one company that has just . ... ALWAAAYS nailed it when it comes to high gain sizzles and all around metal genre punch, it's Peavey. When they started in heavy with the solid state amp lines WAAAAY back when... They were pioneering genres without even knowing it! Check out ANY HEAD JUST ABOUT, that they manufactured from late 70s onward and tell me with a straight face that crust and doom would've blossomed as it did without em! I.E.... check out the Peavey Century head, or the Centurion, Musician, Standard Guitar Head, even Super FUZZED OUT PA AND BASS HEADS!! That did their job so damn well, they could interchange between instruments all on budget prices! Follow that trail all the way up to the Supreme 160, Special, On up to XXL and Transtube EFX or Supreme heads. Well, their preamps are no different. Nail on the head almost Everytime as far as what I've come across . This one in particular??? My favorite of all time. It's unique character, it's ability to saturate to such filthy fuzzy degrees that notes are hardly discernable in an articulate manner leaving what sounds like an aged phono recording of a fire voraciously consuming wood that hast seen moisture in the last half decade, mixed with white static that decided to put on an elegant dress and melodically change and dance in and out of frequencies commanding every step at will as you switch frets and note voicings on your guitar neck. You have way more tonal control of the DISTO panel here than most any preamp you'll come across! Four phases in the gain stage allows for quite a bit of tweaking before you even touch a standard EQ attentuator! Pre Gain, Saturation and Post Gain Left and Post Gain Right sits on the interface before even reaching the 6 point EQ. I'd like to point out specifically a unique approach Peavey took here on the interface as well.. rather than increasing size And cost of the unit. They maintained the single rack space setup in favor of fatter attenuator dial rings dileneating smaller/standard attenuator knobs and dials sitting inside it. So one dial now has two independently rotating spheres. You begin to see this on Post Gain Left and Right, one sphere representing and controlling each.. smart thinking Peavey;-) Next you advance onto what appears to be only 3 but upon closer inspection is a 6 point EQ including, from outside sphere to in, Low-High Mid-Shift Presence-Reverb. These controls give a PRETTY DAMN WIDE SWEEP over the sound spectrum allowing you to shape things in such endless possibilities, you may as well be the universe' greatest architect with a blank canvas, 3 tabs of lysergic acid, a ruler and a pen. To top all that off, you get digital global mode options like "Brittish" or "Thick" as well As "Manual" so you can shape, save and recall your programmed tones even tho there's no led or scroll screen! The Brit button pushes DISTO into newer metal tone territory and The Thick button does exactly what it says. Gives it bigger balls . All in all .. dis thing da shit . Unique sound. Unique item.. WELLLLL worth the money spent!

Your description of this preamp has me extremely interested. I have plenty of tight high gain rack preamps, but none that I would say is good for desert rock, stoner, doom fuzzed-out madness. Any chance of a more in-depth review and/or some clips?

I just got the ART to compare to my PSA-1. Maybe the lore about their circuits being similar is correct, maybe not. I haven't opened them up to find out. But functionally they seem quite different to me. The ART has two channels with standard EQ controls for each, whereas the PSA-1 has one super-flexible channel with buzz/punch/crunch controls that dial in the gain in different parts of the frequency spectrum, which is how it simulates the gain structure of different amps. It also has an overall drive and low/high controls. It's a lot of controls, which is why the ability to save and recall presets is so nice. Finally, the PSA-1 has way more gain on tap without a boost.

Like I said, I have not extensively compared them yet. I also have not tried boosting the ART. But my opinion so far would be to get the Sansamp PSA-1 (or PSA-1.1, which has more presets and an on/off switch, but supposedly they were made with cheaper components).

Rxcoma

Reaction score
I've got the following just collecting dust around my house if you're interested in any of it...

ADA MP-1 (regular, not classic)
ADA Microtube 200 power amp
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Rocktron Chameleon Online (value knob skips though)
Digitech TSR-24 with firmware upgrade
ADA MB-1 (missing screws for top)

Looking to thin the herd and unfortunately I don't play any of this stuff as often as I should. Let me know!
Can I buy your $50 TSR?

Rxcoma

Reaction score
I've got the following just collecting dust around my house if you're interested in any of it...

ADA MP-1 (regular, not classic)
ADA Microtube 200 power amp
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Rocktron Chameleon Online (value knob skips though)
Digitech TSR-24 with firmware upgrade
ADA MB-1 (missing screws for top)

Looking to thin the herd and unfortunately I don't play any of this stuff as often as I should. Let me know!
Hey bud. I'm after that microtube now.. wanna off it?

Rxcoma

Reaction score
A couple more finds. And MAAAAAN I have a SLEW of greatness on the way yall! Think I'ma start making vids for youtube.. of all these things tones on Extended Range Instruments

Rxcoma

Reaction score
15717415141746048310894153206880.jpg

I went ahead and got that Soho/Kitty Hawk QTR-1 ..whoever steered me in that direction.. THANK YOU!!..

And hey.. I collect Rocktron. Couldn't resist the original Gainiac for $90... :) now I have. A choice between Gainiac 2 or Replitone Preamp for $135. Which one?

Latest posts

')