Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do they build any solid state amps right now? It would be pretty interesting to see them get into that. 8100’s, VH140C’s, Bandit head, whatever that Randall was that Dimebag and Windstein used RG some number or another.

Would be an interesting question. Nik's super active on his facebook group.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
You guys think Ceriatone would ever do there own take on an 8100?
I dont think so. Solid State amps take a totally different manufacturing style to build than tube amps.

It does kind of make me wonder why no one has made a preamp pedal version though, like some small companies have done with the VH140. Seems like you could reverse-engineer just the gain channel and cram it into a pedal.

Shask

Reaction score
Man, this thread is not doing anything to help my GAS. My MP1 and XLP preamps feel all lonely now.
I know, lol. I used to love rack stuff back in the day, and have been getting more into effects and wanting more. I got a TC Electronic G Major 2, and today got an Rocktron Intellifex on the way. Now I keep wanting an old Lexicon MPX1 and Boss SE-70 for some reason also..... :nuts:

Bearitone

Reaction score
Damn. It’s like the only Marshall amp i actually want to try lol

Bearitone

Reaction score
Call me crazy but, i feel like this would be something Airis would do with some wicked graphics.

There’s also Master Effects which does custom preamp pedals. He did a GREAT job on my Dark Terror preamp pedal clone.

If you’re really itchin for an 8100 pre he might be able to do it

Last edited:

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Anyone listening.. I would trade for or buy

WASHBURN WSR RACKMOUNT 3 STAGE DISTO

IBANEZ EC20 MIJ DISTO

SANS AMP PSA.1 OR 2

RAVEN LABS UNIVERSAL INSTR PREAMP

DEAN MARKLEY 80S RACK PRES

RANDALL RACK PRES ANS HEADS

HNK RACK PRES

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Peavey TubeFex

Rocktron Pro Gap ULTRA (i.e., the precursor to the Chameleon sans the effects)

Rocktron Pro-Q

Marshall JMP-1

Boss GX-700

I’ve owned all of those at some point, and the Pro Gap ULTRA is nearly impossible to find. Great solid state distortion, but I don’t especially miss it. However, for a Rocktron collector and rack enthusiast, finding an Ultra is a legitimate Indian Jones style treasure hunt.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
A crate TDP popped up on reverb is it comparable to the XLP/GX130?

Crazy_Guitar

Reaction score
OMG I forgot about how bad I wanted one back in the day! All those knobs gnaargh...

yqfbyaffrffv862gsavd.jpg
I have one of these!

Ooo I used one of these with a Mesa 50/50 power amp. It was super punchy and remarkably versatile! A guy I was jamming with had a Rocktron Prophesy paired with a VHT 2/50/2 and I think my tone was better overall. I think the 6l6 power amp setup was partially responsible, but my tone was very punchy and heavy.
I also have a Rocktron. Not the Voodu Valve, but the Chameleon (original blackface).
Boy, it rawks so much!!!

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Peavey TubeFex

Rocktron Pro Gap ULTRA (i.e., the precursor to the Chameleon sans the effects)

Rocktron Pro-Q

Marshall JMP-1

Boss GX-700

I’ve owned all of those at some point, and the Pro Gap ULTRA is nearly impossible to find. Great solid state distortion, but I don’t especially miss it. However, for a Rocktron collector and rack enthusiast, finding an Ultra is a legitimate Indian Jones style treasure hunt.

I liked the Pro Gap Ultra....i had 2 of them at one point

Had the Pro-Q ....i tried to fix something on it..and ruined it , cheap soldering guns !

There was a TubeFex at the last Orlando Guitar show/Expo i went to...didnt work but the guy wanted $50 for it...i balked and the guy next to me bought it

Always wanted to try one

Mike

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I have one of these!

I also have a Rocktron. Not the Voodu Valve, but the Chameleon (original blackface).
Boy, it rawks so much!!!

I won't mind the necrobump since I want one of these as well :lol: How are they? I know those behemoths have 9 tubes in there.

2992452.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy_Guitar

Reaction score
Leon just done another vid on the Intelifex...sounded fantastic. I like seeing these classic units being show cased ...

Mike
I have one of those as well! Brutal unit! Still is par with what is done nowadays.

Apparently I missed that review!
And would you believe I had that in mind for years? (Doing video reviews of "classic" units...)

Latest posts

')