Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Dang, You've been busy. You gotta try hooking them all up together as one big rack and using them at the same time or something. Just for the hell of it. : )

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
I've got the following just collecting dust around my house if you're interested in any of it...

ADA MP-1 (regular, not classic)
ADA Microtube 200 power amp
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Rocktron Chameleon Online (value knob skips though)
Digitech TSR-24 with firmware upgrade
ADA MB-1 (missing screws for top)

Looking to thin the herd and unfortunately I don't play any of this stuff as often as I should. Let me know!

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been following this thread for a while, since I am also collecting a few preamps. Did you grab that Theta head? If so, if you pull the preamp out, is it rack-mountable? I've been watching for the rackmount preamp forever, but they never show up. I already have the pedal, but the rack unit looks so great.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Been following this thread for a while, since I am also collecting a few preamps. Did you grab that Theta head? If so, if you pull the preamp out, is it rack-mountable? I've been watching for the rackmount preamp forever, but they never show up. I already have the pedal, but the rack unit looks so great.

The head looks like it’s different dimentions than the rack (too wide to fit in a rack), plus you can see though the back in pictures the transformer is mounted on top of the chassis.

The combo looks like it’s the rack unit but with the ears mounted on the back, then the cab contains the poweramp and crossover for the sub.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The head looks like it’s different dimentions than the rack (too wide to fit in a rack), plus you can see though the back in pictures the transformer is mounted on top of the chassis.

The combo looks like it’s the rack unit but with the ears mounted on the back, then the cab contains the poweramp and crossover for the sub.

Good call, thanks! That looks right now that I've looked more closely. I wonder what the resale value of the cab would be, if any. I'm not sure I'd want to pay $1,000 for the combo if I couldn't sell the cab.

Also, more on topic: another +1 for the Peavey Rockmaster. I love mine. Will definitely pick up another if I ever get the chance, so I could mod one.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Kartakou Collosus. 5150 preamp. I love mine. $400, sometimes you can get them cheaper when Reverb has a sale.

Agreed ! ......I'm really digging mine, one of the best purchases I've made in a while !

Mike

vick1000

Reaction score
Good call, thanks! That looks right now that I've looked more closely. I wonder what the resale value of the cab would be, if any. I'm not sure I'd want to pay $1,000 for the combo if I couldn't sell the cab.

Also, more on topic: another +1 for the Peavey Rockmaster. I love mine. Will definitely pick up another if I ever get the chance, so I could mod one.
Just use the cab for some other rack gear.

Rxcoma

Reaction score
I've got the following just collecting dust around my house if you're interested in any of it...

ADA MP-1 (regular, not classic)
ADA Microtube 200 power amp
Alesis Quadraverb GT
Rocktron Chameleon Online (value knob skips though)
Digitech TSR-24 with firmware upgrade
ADA MB-1 (missing screws for top)

Looking to thin the herd and unfortunately I don't play any of this stuff as often as I should. Let me know!
What would you want for ALL ADA individually and the TSR?

Rxcoma

Reaction score
Oh...if anyone wants ANYTHING AT ALL.. let me know...I'm in business now..

And I've been eyeing that Kartakou for a cool minute now, along with the SL/LD

Rxcoma

Reaction score
And I found another diamond in the rough. Sleeper of the ages, if you see one.. I SWEAR TO GADDD snatch it up!!

PULSE PMH15!!!!! FUCKING SICK HEAD!!

Attachments

• 15678645705791011303358881005647.jpg
    15678645705791011303358881005647.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 28

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just use the cab for some other rack gear.

That's a good idea. I don't know why that didn't occur to me. I started looking for a combo after you said that, and one just showed up on Guitar Center. On its way to me now.

After examining pictures more closely, it's not clear whether the combo's preamp actually has rack ears, or if it's possible to add ears. I'll find out soon. If I like it enough, I might keep it anyways and also keep looking for the rackmount pre.

wakjob

Reaction score
Quick skim through all 4 pages and didn't see Tech21 !!!

I have the "Original Rackmount" that came out before the PSA-1 programmable unit. Tech21 told me they didn't design it, and wouldn't tell me who did when I asked for a schematic.

wakjob

Reaction score
I didn't see a Pearce G2r in any of your pics either.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the "Original Rackmount" that came out before the PSA-1 programmable unit. Tech21 told me they didn't design it, and wouldn't tell me who did when I asked for a schematic.

I actually looked into this recently, because I just acquired a Sansamp PSA 1. Apparently the ART Power Plant is almost identical to the original Sansamp. The ART was the successor to the DBJ Labs EC-301, which first came out in the 80s.

Here's the thread I remember reading about this:

http://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8907

There were plans for a 2011 reissue of the Power Plant by STS Amplification, but I cannot find any evidence it was actually released:

https://salzmedia.com/STS_Amplification/

wakjob

Reaction score
I actually looked into this recently, because I just acquired a Sansamp PSA 1. Apparently the ART Power Plant is almost identical to the original Sansamp. The ART was the successor to the DBJ Labs EC-301, which first came out in the 80s.

Here's the thread I remember reading about this:

http://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8907

There were plans for a 2011 reissue of the Power Plant by STS Amplification, but I cannot find any evidence it was actually released:

https://salzmedia.com/STS_Amplification/

Yeah, I asked and hinted at the A.R.T angle with Tech21, but they wouldn't bite or let it slip via email.

I love mine.

Did you look into the Pearce stuff yet?

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did you look into the Pearce stuff yet?

Not OP, but yes. I'd definitely like to get one at some point at the right price. There are a couple nice looking G2R preamps on Reverb that are tempting me. Right now though, my white whale is still that ISP Theta rack, so I'm saving my gear money in case one becomes available.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
Rack preamps I've owned-

ADA MP-1 (x2) - Classic tone, but really noisy, not alot of effective gain on tap, buttons were a PITA, in retrospect not sure why it was so popular besides being first midi preamp. I think at the time, there weren't many truly high gain tube amps, everyone was using boost pedals into marshalls and the novelty of having it all in one box was too cool.

Rocktron Pro-GAP - This was actually better than the MP-1 in some ways, from memory. It had more effective gain on tap, although it was solid state.

Hafler Triple Giant - This was the best sounding preamp, but from memory even the sharp channel didn't have gobs of gain. Maybe could have used just a little boost in front. I still have the hafler branded tubes that came in this beast. They are really good ax7s. Sold because I needed the money and I made a profit.

Peavey Rockmaster - This was a really high gain preamp that started my love of the Ultra circuit which abated about ten years ago. If I ever want that again I'd buy another JSX.

Rocktron Piranha - This was legit, might still use it today. Used it for about five years, but don't remember the tone. The sweepable mid was very versatile, the knobs had great feel, but I was always tweaking it. Because of the sweepable mid, it was a chamelion, didn't have a signature tone. Curious how it sounds today.

After the piranha, I've always used a full head and a MFX.

Latest posts

')