Build #2! Extended scale 6 string

• Thread starter Levi79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Levi79

Reaction score
At it again. I enjoyed building my first guitar so much (which can be seen here) that I literally started on this the next day.

Specs:
6 strings
27 frets
26.22" scale (666mm :hbang:)
Superstrat shape
Black Walnut body
Indian Rosewood bookmatched top
Wenge/Flame Maple 5 piece neck
Flame Maple fretboard w/ piranha tooth inlays (indian rosewood) and a cool 12th fret inlay
Schaller Hannes bridge
Schaller non locking tuners (3+3)
Seymour Duncan Distortions
Cream or white plastic binding on body and headstock (help me decide!)
Black fretboard binding
34mm body thickness (potentially thinner)

Here's what I have so far!

Indian Rosewood top, Black Walnut body
544380_4130474348221_322539414_n.jpg

Planed the Walnut to thickness (that dust almost filled pictured garbage can :lol: )
562905_4130477148291_1024329474_n.jpg

Top glued. There was a couple more clamps put after this.
406069_4130478468324_1443249448_n.jpg

Neck laminate glued. Love this combo!
541582_4130482748431_1160296589_n.jpg

After glue!
548571_4130484548476_1823177672_n.jpg

I have a drawn out plan that I'll post in a few days. I have a couple changes to make to it.
Let me know what you think of my specs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Nice! Nobody uses black walnut (my favorite), and I don't know why. It is so workable and looks great.

drenz

Reaction score
That black walnut looks classy as hell, i'm definitely going to be investigating and looking for more pictures on it, as i haven't seen much of it before!

Levi79

Reaction score
Yeah I'd say Black Walnut is one of, if not my favorite body wood. I had a Carvin DC727 with it and it was awesome. It looks great and sounds great. I'm kind of in the midst of setting up a little workspace in my garage. I'm buying a nice big bandsaw and a Rigid spindle sander hopefully this week. :yesway:

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I really like where this is going. Specs seem odd, but I think they will work awesome and growl like a mofo. Should also look and feel great if you are oiling it all up!

Levi79

Reaction score
I really like where this is going. Specs seem odd, but I think they will work awesome and growl like a mofo. Should also look and feel great if you are oiling it all up!
Thanks dude. I plan to do a Danish Oil finish on the body and headstock. I think I'm going to leave the neck raw. I know Wenge is very open pored and such, but if I don't like how it feels raw I can always just fill it and oil it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
562905_4130477148291_1024329474_n.jpg

Is this much wood always wasted when doing this type of work? Seems like an awful lot of it just gets turned to dust and thrown away just from planing that thing down.

Levi79

Reaction score
Is this much wood always wasted when doing this type of work? Seems like an awful lot of it just gets turned to dust and thrown away just from planing that thing down.
I completely agree with you. It was a painful experience to see all that wood go to waste. I bought that Walnut piece quite some time ago before my first build. It was before I really knew what I was doing, so I just bought a "body blank" size. I kind of overpaid for it too :noplease: You live you learn though.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Not all the time. There's small trick while choosing wood that allow you to reduce waste, but there's always a lot.
To start, the best way is to buy directly by lumber. Then you can arrange your cuts to fit your need and decrease waste. But not anybody can afford lumber, resaw it, and even more use it...

And, I'd say: yes, it's a pity. But when you see people in US using ziricote or koa for stairs... Or a fellow that told me he had to use black limba for protection of walls to prevent chairs from touching it (in an hospital).... I think it's much more waste!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I like to plan a build or 2 ahead, and find a way in which offcuts can be used for something in another build. Sometimes the extra part in a neckthrough laminate can make strips for a neck if you use a scarf joint. Offcuts from a top can become a ukulele or cavity covers, fingerboard extras can be truss rod covers.

Hell you can use body offcuts to make book ends, bowls, pen holders, etc. Even the dust can be recicled in more than 1 way, just separate it properly, and take it to someone who can use it.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Hell you can use body offcuts to make book ends, bowls, pen holders, etc. Even the dust can be recicled in more than 1 way, just separate it properly, and take it to someone who can use it.
My leftovers will become a joint plane and a low angle plane. :agreed:
I also started some times ago a very small plane (don't the english term for that), with blade of 10 mm width.

Levi79

Reaction score
Checked your first build out, looks really good man. Where abouts in Alberta do you live?
I live in a small town called Ponoka. About an hour south of edmonton and 2 hours north of Calgary.

I like to plan a build or 2 ahead, and find a way in which offcuts can be used for something in another build. Sometimes the extra part in a neckthrough laminate can make strips for a neck if you use a scarf joint. Offcuts from a top can become a ukulele or cavity covers, fingerboard extras can be truss rod covers.

You're probably going to love what I'm currently doing with my mahogany scraps from my last build. I'll post it/them in here when I'm done.
I like to use as much of the wood as I can though. I have a big piece of Walnut still left. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

')