Build #2! Extended scale 6 string

• Thread starter Levi79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Levi79

Reaction score
New Rigid spindle sander and a new(used) Delta Bandsaw tomorrow. I are excite. Then I can really get started on this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TankJon666

Reaction score
New Rigid spindle sander and a new(used) Delta Bandsaw tomorrow. I are excite. Then I can really get started on this.

Power tools are teh nutz! :hbang:

When I got my drill press I was like "ok ...thats the guitar bits done ..time to drill random shit" :lol:

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I keep trying not to buy power tools, because then I really won't be able to afford to make so many instruments :rofl:

I still only use my router and drill press :shrug:

Levi79

Reaction score
Power tools are teh nutz! :hbang:

When I got my drill press I was like "ok ...thats the guitar bits done ..time to drill random shit" :lol:
I keep trying not to buy power tools, because then I really won't be able to afford to make so many instruments :rofl:

I still only use my router and drill press :shrug:

Power tools are totally the shit. All my cashflow in the past few months other than my Axe II money has gone towards guitar building stuff. I never realized until I graduated and could actually move out that living with your parents is the shit :lol: I definitely wouldn't be able to afford to do this if I didn't. Maybe if I went all crazy like scherzo and used a router and nothing else to build a guitar I could haha. Mad props for that though bro, especially since your builds all end up fucking awesome. I've bought all my powertools except my Rigid sander used and that has saved me a tonne of cash.

Levi79

Reaction score
So this is my plan. I changed my mind a little bit on the body. I just traced out an RG on my plan but made the shape a little different in the end. I'm awful at drawing, and the bridge pickup won't be that close to the bridge, but it gets the main idea across.
557798_4187732419637_1550087337_n.jpg

Tentative headstock design.
488036_4187733659668_1256569517_n.jpg

Scarf joint glued up.
8083_4187734539690_564975474_n.jpg

I was going to put this maple veneer between the neck and headstock in the scarf joint. It was on my bench and everything, but I totally forgot :(
399383_4187739019802_636528583_n.jpg

Body cut out on my new bandsaw :D Another new toy is pictured here as well. Rigid sander. Loving it so far!
553898_4187741099854_1305250645_n.jpg

Did a little drilling with a forstner bit to lighten the body up a bit. Even though it's only going to be 33mm thick haha.
486277_4187743099904_1479932410_n.jpg

Indian Rosewood top planed and cut out. Ready to glue.
396732_4187744819947_397595313_n.jpg

Lotsa glue!
582797_4187746619992_480135322_n.jpg

All clamped up. I learned two lessons while clamping this top on.
1) I need to buy some more clamps
2) Be careful with your pressure, especially on thin woods and especially when that thin wood is over a chamber. I didn't even think about this when clamping (very stupid of me) and I cracked the top a bit. Thankfully not too badly and I don't think it's going to be an issue. Also, different style clamps all have their uses. Going to be getting some more quick grip style clamps in the near future.
529124_4187749620067_1054717251_n.jpg

My new (used) Delta Bandsaw. Got this for $300 on Kijiji. Put a new blade on it today and it runs like new! I'm really happy with it. Makes things go so much easier for me. You can see my little workspace in the garage in the background.
556606_4187753060153_1694402090_n.jpg

Things are definitely going alot easier the second time around now that I have a grip on the basics and have a little experience. And the fact that I've equipped myself pretty well for tools. Basically all my money has been going towards tools and parts since February haha. Taking advantage of living with the parents while I can. I want to move to the city now that I'm graduated, but I could only afford a shitty apartment. Can't make guitars in an apartment :lol:

Edit: Also use clamping cauls from now on. Dummy.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
My next buy this summer will be a planning machine (combined) and an under table circular saw. After it, I'll be weel equiped to start series builds. :lol:

Your projects reminds me of my frist 8 string. Be carefull with angle pickups. As the strings are quite far for pickup poles, the two extreme strings won't ring as loud as the 4 center (but still, it works very great).
:cheers:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
You're not supposed to draw the tuners so the string passes through the middle. Other than that it looks like fine work so far.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Nice point!
There's this (the string is a little on the side) but even more: your tuners are not at the same distance of the edge of the headstock. It will look silly... :/
It depends on your tuners, but I generally use 15 mm as reference distance.

Levi79

Reaction score
I know my drawing is awful :lol: I know both of those things. I just drew it to try different headstock and body styles on a 27 fret neck.

And I forgot to mention that my angled neck pickup is going to be alot more subtle than that.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Body shape's ok for me, I guess.
But about the headstock, you should draw the correct one, evenif it's tryouts. I've spend several trying to draw the head of my next bass, trying to find something that fit, etc. I've found something that was great, I draw in the real dimension and with all the hardware... and took about the same time to readjust it. :lol:

Levi79

Reaction score
I'll definitely be drawing it out again before I get there. Going to be doing the fretboard stuff next.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Mega jelly of your bandsaw, and that is a great looking top you got there! Any reason why you didn't want to do more chambering if you don't mind me asking?

Purelojik

Reaction score
Mega jelly of your bandsaw, and that is a great looking top you got there! Any reason why you didn't want to do more chambering if you don't mind me asking?

for tha djents!

lol seriously tho this looks wonderful

Levi79

Reaction score
Purelojik is actually almost right :lol: I wanted the weight relief and the kind of open airy tone chambering can give, but I also didn't want it to cause loss of attack and tightness so I only did a little. If this doesn't have enough chambering for you, my next build will.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
^Looking forward to it! I want to do a chambered build sometime too but I want to see a few other people's first. I don't quite know how different chamber shapes would affect the sound and all that kinda stuff so I'm not sure if I should just go ass wild and start making pretty holes or if I need to calculate things. Also am going to have to compensate for stomach contours, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :lol:

Levi79

Reaction score
^Looking forward to it! I want to do a chambered build sometime too but I want to see a few other people's first. I don't quite know how different chamber shapes would affect the sound and all that kinda stuff so I'm not sure if I should just go ass wild and start making pretty holes or if I need to calculate things. Also am going to have to compensate for stomach contours, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :lol:
Yeah dude I'm no expert on the subject. I'm surprised I haven't been given shit yet for just using forstner bits :lol: IMO wood choice is a pretty small tonal difference compared to pickup/hardware/pot choices etc. so I can't see different chamber shapes having a huge affect on the tone. Especially if you play higher gain stuff.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I don't believe that shape of chambers will affect tone. Size, I think, evenif it will be very slightly, but shape... I think making fantaisy chambered body is just a commercial argument.
And if you want to build something:
caca+et+nike+just+do+it.jpeg

(it's incredible the quantity of shit you can find on google image :lol: )

Levi79

Reaction score
Guys. I can't decide if I want to put an indian rosewood veneer over the whole headstock, leave it as walnut or do a split design kind like Viks and my last build. Any thoughts?

TankJon666

Reaction score
Guys. I can't decide if I want to put an indian rosewood veneer over the whole headstock, leave it as walnut or do a split design kind like Viks and my last build. Any thoughts?

I reckon the split like on your last build. Looks cool and is a continuing theme you could run through all your builds :D

')