Build a Mixer

mattwfreeland

Reaction score
Im not sure this is the right place but this is where I figured, so im looking to actually build a mixer, im thinking it wouldnt be too hard, but im not educated in such fields so i might have no clue, id figure i really just want like, a mono output, and a couple 1/4" (like 2) inputs, and like 4 XLR inputs, and a volume knob for each, no amplification needed, and i dont want any EQ. one problem i thought of, would be mics arent line level, does this pose a problem if im planning on adding volume compensation inside the DAW? and i was hoping it would really just be as simple as wiring all the connections together to the output? does anyone have any knowledge or advice in such a thing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Amplification is needed :) XLR connections for mics have preamps to bring the microphones up to line level.
I don't have enough knowledge but I can tell you it would be easy enough and there are plenty of schematics floating around.
I'd approach it part by part. Gearslutz forum will be useful.

Find a mic preamp schematic or kit and build that.
Just a few functions - Gain knob, pad button, +48v phantom power. Could use a combo jack to give line level in. Or when you say 1/4" inputs do you mean for guitar? I'm not sure how instrument inputs work but it's easy enough to find out. Solo and mutes. Then just wire them together to the output.
Any reason why mono output? I'm wondering what you could really do with such a desk.
I'm inclined to ask you to explain exactly what the purpose of this would be and if it's really a mixer you're looking for.

mattwfreeland

Reaction score
Haha, im using it less as a "mixer" to say like for a desk, my application for it would be because, i have a pod studio Ux1, and my xlr input, doesnt work as far as i know, and id like to be able to use a mic input with it, it doesnt have to be a mono output, i just figured the input in my ux1 is mono, i would like to have a left and right output, but i dont really want pan controls, so i dont really see the plausibility. so id use it more as like an input box than a traditional desk mixer, and ive had the question actually, with the ux1 im pretty sure it doesnt have phantom power, so is that needed on the "input box"? what makes me wonder, is my friend has a presonus firestudio and we always have phantom power off and the mic still works. but with the ux1 it doesnt.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
If it's just a learning/self teaching experiment for fun, then go for it.

Like said before you could track down some schematics and find the components. It is doable.....but

If you are trying to save money or some other practical purpose then it might not be worth pursuing. You should also try to find some books or other resources for audio circuit design, because it is far more complicated than wiring the inputs to the outputs.

So in short it could be a fun but impractical project.

Edit: It sounds like you just need a mic preamp.

mattwfreeland

Reaction score
yes i thought about a mic pre amp, but id like multiple mic ins (to record drums) and a multiple mic pre amp, is hard to find, and im guessing itll be pretty expensive

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
As a firm believer in DIY, this is a project that you can't build cheaper than you can buy. If you still want to go for it, find a schematic that already works, it will save you loads of trouble. Otherwise, you will have to be calculating input impedance, amplitude differences between different types of load levels, power levels needed for what types of op-amps, transistors, and peripheral indicator electronics(LEDs for signal, clip, phantom, bus selection, etc) used. Not a small undertaking, good luck, but there are plenty of mixers that work wonderfully for $300 and less.

')