Build - Headless 6 string - 27 fret

• Thread starter Omzig
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
So got the build itch,last batch of guitar stuff id been doing was refinishing/refreshing some 80's/90 shredders but seeing some of the fantastic work here got me hanking to make some sawdust so...

Spec : Mahogany body back 2 piece 1 1/14 thick (reclaimed from a 50 YO fireplace surround)

1 Piece 3/4 thick Beech top

Walnut accent veneer

1 Piece Mahogany neck (reclaimed funeral home window frame)

Ebony Or ziricote fretboard

27 fret (should be SS if my order ever arrives)

HS layout with H dual rail in the neck

ALP/KD chinese Headless tremolo system

A few pic's of progress so far (there's a few wood prep pics already posted in the workbench thread so i wont repost those here)

2zganp0.jpg

2yv3ndi.jpg

bza8j.jpg

15fqc7n.jpg

ALP/KD bridge unit

28j9nx1.jpg

Id been curious about this bridge for a while as it mounts like floyd rose without the need to have the ass hanging off your body or the need for a channel under your tuners,more info on it as i get around to routing for it,seems pretty well made and is milled not cast like some of the shittier Chinese units,it was only $60 so no big lost if it totally sucks.

Hopefully i'll be able to use the UV solares epoxy as a body finish on this with Osmo oil neck finish,that's about it for now so there ya go.

Cheers
Omzig

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Looking forward to this. Please definitely post about that bridge -- especially if you can figure-out the thickest string it will take.

I'm temped to buy two and pull the saddles/tuner portions out to make a multi-scaled headless. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, get one and make the 27" to 30" All-5ths (FCGDAE) 6-String that's been rattling around in my head. I'm just concerned that it won't take a 76w to 82w

Omzig

Reaction score
Looking forward to this. Please definitely post about that bridge -- especially if you can figure-out the thickest string it will take.
I'm just concerned that it won't take a 76w to 82w

Hey ElRay

Did a little chekcing for you today at the heaviest gauge string i could get in the tuner holes was a 0.52 & the width of the barrel slot is about 0.66 so unless your strings have got tappers there's no way there going in! if you need any more measurements just shout.

So didn't get much time on this today due to having to build a desktop unit for my sister...but i did get my mog reclaimed window frame neck blank cleaned up

s498gn.jpg

2uer0oi.jpg

to think this wa going in a skip to be burnt....i await my 4mm carbon rods

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... the heaviest gauge string i could get in the tuner holes was a 0.52 & the width of the barrel slot is about 0.66 ...
Thanks! When I get to that point, I'll know the intended string gauges. Won't work for the 27" to 30" in 5ths, bit it might work for one of the other ideas in the brain bucket.

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
i just unwound the string a bit (outer winds) to get it to fit in this bridge.

I got a 72 gauge in it like that atm on my headless

Omzig

Reaction score
Not much progress on this just done the clamp tango

30dgso4.jpg

Note to self..make sure all your clamps are in the workshop not 2 miles down the road at home before you tip and spread the titebond....!

Omzig

Reaction score
So been a week or so since i got chance to work on this due to having to help my bro build a drive ways and move 48 tons of back fill gravel...not fun

Just got chance to tidy this up to my template

16bafsn.jpg

Next thing is to get it on the drum sander

Then i need to build a overhead router for this funky router bit o got from ali

117e6gl.jpg

Gives a profile that's almost bang on my fav neck (my laguna greg howe) i just don't trust myself using it with out it being in a solid held/guarded overhead router! ;)

Walshy

Reaction score
I'll be following this one. Always like to see other UK builders at it.

Have you got the proper lamp for using Solarez or will you be making do with the Dudley sunshine in coming weeks?

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
yikes, that bit looks deadly. I'd maybe use it on a router table with reeeally small steps.

Omzig

Reaction score
I'll be following this one. Always like to see other UK builders at it.

Have you got the proper lamp for using Solarez or will you be making do with the Dudley sunshine in coming weeks?

Cool that UK builders are on this forum,nice to see another and that comes in handy sometime for finding stuff in the UK that can be hard to track down this side of the pond :)

As for Sun in Dudley LOL chance would be a fine thing! i think ive had 2 days in the past 4 month were i could test the Solarez outside in the Sun's UV without having to put it under a UV lamp to finish it off....Im thinking of getting some MEKP catalyst but that will effect it's self leveling,just hope the sun comes out by the time this is ready to CC.

yikes, that bit looks deadly. I'd maybe use it on a router table with reeeally small steps.

Yep it looks like it will take a good chunk out of anything that gets near it! So its going in an overarm jig to be mounted on my drill press something like this

7063c89906ef2efcd1994f03a0a0927f.jpg

I remember seeing a bit like this in melvin hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" book years ago and when i spotted it on Ali E a few weeks ago i was like "Dam i need that" it was only £11/$15 inc shipping,so far I am resisting the urge to play with it with out the jig as i have a strange attachment to my hands ;)

152f7ds.jpg

Walnut accent venneer line seems to have worked well just one small line on the whole body were the tightbond is showing

95uc7m.jpg

Ive had this before on other builds and hitting it with a hair dryer for a min or so makes it disappear.

Omzig

Reaction score
So had a bit of a build stall on this one.....i brought a riser for my bandsaw to expand the cut depth,took it apart ordered some new sized blades,seller bullshits me and then never sends the riser (why the fuck don't these ppl use the reserve price or start it at the price they really want for things) also some parts took a long ass while to arrive from chinaland (Trod + carbon rods)

Anyhows got back into it today and gave the Mad router bit/jig set up it setup in the mean time a chance to eat my neck blank ;)

e7eblv.jpg

This is profiled to 15mm at its thickest, this + fretboard (20" radius) it should end up at about 19.6mm (im continuing the veneer accent line between the board/neck) im also going to be adding a maple heel that will extend under the neck pup route somewhat

In my rush to try out the profile of the bit my dumb ass forgot to channel router for the Trussrod/carbon rods while the blank was flat backed/squared...doh

Walshy

Reaction score
Looking very nice. That beech top is lovely. I found a guy on eBay selling them and got a couple of nice slabs lately. Just need air drying for a couple of years.

I do love me an accent veneer between the neck and fretboard.

Keep the pics coming.

Omzig

Reaction score
Looking very nice. That beech top is lovely. I found a guy on eBay selling them and got a couple of nice slabs lately. Just need air drying for a couple of years.

I do love me an accent veneer between the neck and fretboard.

Keep the pics coming.

Yep i love a bit of beech,not used very much it seems but if you can find a nice slab it can have all sorted of features,this top came from a board i got from an ebay seller " adam-sawmill " they don't have much up atm but they do have some nice english hardwoods at great prices.

All in inc del this board was just £27 !

2dj8ba1.jpg

hopping to bookmatch the rest (hence the riserblock upgrade i was looking to install) once this build is done

So i got the Truss and Carbon rods in (with a little epoxy on each end),truss rod had to go in flat side down on this one otherwise the adjustment hole in the headpiece/string retainer was out of line and i won't just the allan key in the socket,ive put them in like this before without issue.

not the neatest job (smallest bit i have is 3mm & CF rods are 4mm and i shifted to guide forward instead of backwards on the rightside rod...doh) but it's getting covered anyhows so OOSOOM ;)

2qbtyjd.jpg

So my bro dropped off the Hipshot headless bridge he picked up for me on his trip to FL (not getting used on this build)

20zoffb.jpg

Very nice little thing and loads better looking than the "single bridges bolted to a plate" trems a lot of other places offer

But WTF is with the Height/Angle of this arm !

192fj4.jpg

its tip is about 8cm/3" above the base plate ! that's fucking crazy high if you ask me,it's going to take some bending/chopping down to get down to the 5cm/2" max i have almost all my other floyds at.

Omzig

Reaction score
So got the ebony 20" radius'ed board on this neck

25zt83c.jpg

still needs a bit of a tidy up and final sand to 800 + the tip of the fret board/neck needs routing down as the tongue of this neck extends into/under the slanted SC pickup route

Walnut accent veneer didn't work out that well as i got a bit of tear out while trimming it flush...

v3pxlf.jpg

A little CA+ dust and it will disappear ;)

Omzig

Reaction score
Slow progress (im stuck Ethernet cabling the house atm because 4k 60fps HDR over wifi...nar thought not)

swwi75.jpg

Neck heel and FB need to get cut back to the edge of the SC route

2cpuwaq.jpg

Now i look at it routed i think this slant might be a bit OTT ;) still the string pass both bars so it should sound ok (not that i use the Neck position much TBH )

Omzig

Reaction score
So...been out of it for a few weeks due to a kidney stone/tract infection,Seems i hadn't been keeping my hydration level up enough during the burst of warm weather we had last month,my own dumb fault (i had a kidney stone about 8 years ago around the same time of year) all passed now and im off the meds/pain killers (they made me sleepy as hell) so i can use power tools again!

So first day back at it so i just decided to get the neck heel/fb angle sorted out

episg6.jpg

fk2q6s.jpg

Time to start doing the round overs and bevels tomorrow i think.

Latest posts

')