Build - Headless 6 string - 27 fret

• Thread starter Omzig
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
So had to get to a few other jobs that had mounted up while i was down sick (Replacing a 2m x 1m heavy duty gate and some fencing)

Got some rad bevel's added and almost have the body final sanded,top section of the arm bevel is a little spongy and almost refuses to take a sharp carved edge which is pissing me off a bit ;)

Should have the rest of this routed and finally together this week (best layed plans and all that....)

2rqd5hi.jpg

144ade1.jpg

33w1ms9.jpg

xf9kyg.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omzig

Reaction score
Following highline guitars YT guide on hemispherical fret end,still need some polishing but im most impressed with the method/results

fpblth.jpg

DIY lumilays are a go and will get a final polishing after installing these are just over 3mm out diameter and about 6mm deep so they hold charge quite well (the diy's work out at about 6 pence /10 cents each)

w2oboz.jpg

lewis

Reaction score
Following highline guitars YT guide on hemispherical fret end,still need some polishing but im most impressed with the method/results

fpblth.jpg

DIY lumilays are a go and will get a final polishing after installing these are just over 3mm out diameter and about 6mm deep so they hold charge quite well (the diy's work out at about 6 pence /10 cents each)

w2oboz.jpg

holy crap. Could you possibly post a DIY luminlay thread?
I spend way too much money buying actual luminlays its criminal.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
holy crap. Could you possibly post a DIY luminlay thread?
I spend way too much money buying actual luminlays its criminal.
just buy luminescent powder, mix with epoxy and insert them into hollow brass rods or whatever. there's plenty of videos out there of how to do it.

fpblth.jpg

w2oboz.jpg
damn those hemispherical frets look great. Doesn't take too long to round off frets by hand but to get em perfect, that takes some time. How long did it take you to do those with the dremel like Highline does?

Omzig

Reaction score
just buy luminescent powder, mix with epoxy and insert them into hollow brass rods or whatever. there's plenty of videos out there of how to do it.

damn those hemispherical frets look great. Doesn't take too long to round off frets by hand but to get em perfect, that takes some time. How long did it take you to do those with the dremel like Highline does?

Pretty much as KnightBrolaire says glow powered/something hollow/Superglue

but to sum up my method I choose E0508 fuse caps in black as a holder (ali/ebay sellers have about 10 dif colours 100 for 38p) Glow powered was aqua blue (50p a bang i also have green/pink/red/orange) and a bottle of wilko's low viscosity super glue (£1 a bottle)

e5il90.jpg

I snip and seal the metal parts from the end of the cap the fill and tamper down the caps with the power till its about 1mm under the rim
then dab a little bit of superglue on top,it will dome,you can either mist will a catalyst or let if harden over night

2vt9t9x.jpg

after that just flatten with 1200 grit and polish.

Gotta say im blown away with how easy it was to do the hemispherical frets following chris excellent method,once you get the fret cut and tangs trimmed blind it takes about 5 seconds per side to do the round overs,it really is as easy as it looks in the video.
id tried in the past by hand and gave up after getting to about the 5th fret,But dam these feel/look so good that i think i'll have to go on a re-fretting spree! i recommend everyone have a go at doing them this way.

Chris'es Video incase ppl haven't seen it

One thing i don't think that's in the video is that i found that as you do the end's the carve out in the rubber disk will start to get deeper and may cut into the side of your fret's,rather than waste that disc and start on a new one just take an old file and place it flush across the disc sides and grind off the outer edges to reset the inner curve.

Walshy

Reaction score
Excellent work on the glow dots. I also refuse to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for Luminlays when they are so easy to make.

I've done the pigment suspended in epoxy before but didn't quite get the mix ratio correct. Your way seems easier. Thanks for the tip.

Omzig

Reaction score
Excellent work on the glow dots. I also refuse to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for Luminlays when they are so easy to make.

I've done the pigment suspended in epoxy before but didn't quite get the mix ratio correct. Your way seems easier. Thanks for the tip.

Bang on the same issue i had,getting a constant mix ratio even when weighing out the epoxy/powered still proved pretty inconsistent,i found that keeping the power dry and capping with CA also allows you to pack more power in.

I have a few test inlay that i did over the past few weeks using different capping compounds and found after using 3 different epoxies that the super cheapest CA i could find allowed much more UV light penetration for charging,i guess all the epoxy's i tried must contain UV inhibitors to prevent yellowing

Glad to have helped :)

Omzig

Reaction score
Hey guys

Many thanks for the kind words :) and my work has plenty of slop in it i just try to clean it up as much as i can before posting shots lol ;)

So i put of the bridge routing for a few days as i was trying to work out how to fit in the hipshot,but after some virtual tests i decided that it wouldn't work because of the amount id have to take out the back to get to the tuners....so cheap ass KD bridge is going on, this and hipshot goes on the neck one (i might single cut this design and see how that goes)

jv0wsj.jpg

Had a bit of chip out on the rear area while routing (you never know what hides just below the surface with spalted woods!) so had to take a bit more out to level it up,covers up ok with a bit of sticky cavity foam (that grey stuff) but i might stain/veneer the cavity yet.

Still need to cut the block and claw cavities and i might take a few more mm's to drop the bridge a bit lower in the body (also have to recess those neck bolts/washers)

Laters
Steve

Omzig

Reaction score
So got the trem cavity cut (needs a bit of a clean up/ramp tweak) and strung up !

2nt36s.jpg

wc1fgm.jpg

I always find it a strange mix of emotions during a first full string/tune up of a newly built guitar,part of my brain knows everything should be fine as all the numbers are good and the fit is right and tight.....but still part of me thinks the whole thing will fall apart or snap in two lol !

HB route still needs doing but i want to make some new templates first,as ive not been 100% happy with the ears on my last few HB routes...why do i hate pup rings some much :)

(modded iceman in the back ground there is waiting to get an ice glitter/epoxy top finish but i had some issues with the epoxy i used to fix the blocks i fitted and re-cut in the org pup routes,it started sinking back under the paint coat due to the heat were getting here in the UK atm)

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: this guitar deserves better bridge and headpiece hardware.

Bobro

Reaction score
Gorgeous! With the funeral home heritage and the djent-worthy specs, I hope it's going to be used with some shredding, growling and blast beats demon-summoning kind of Metal!

Omzig

Reaction score
Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback and kind words :)

Unpopular opinion: this guitar deserves better bridge and headpiece hardware.

Yep id agree with you there,i did stop and think about working the hipshot ive got into this body but decided to keep it for a sister build rather than hack it into this one

I have heard love and hate about these bridges, I’m keen to know how this one plays.

And yeah, white iceman with trem! Spill them beans dude!

These bridges/head pieces do have a few issues,top of them being the shitty tin pot screws/bolts,if they don't outright snap the allan heads start to round out after a hand full of turns,good news that standard m4 m5 threads/pitches fit and are super cheap to replace with much better SS bolts (to be fair i also have this issue with any OFR floyds ive brought in the past 10 years...totally shitty bolts/screws)

I'll do a bit of a write up on the trem once its all setup,but atm it sits well on its posts and returns to pitch after bombs/pull ups so so far so go (so what ;) )

White Iceman...don't ask ;) i j/k It's a Ch-ibanze that is actually a quite well built guitar & has a great neck (much thicker than an ibby) but it had a really terrible finish/routing,i'll start a new thread once i can grab a few more pics of how it is now and find the once i took of it's issues.

Laters
Steve

Omzig

Reaction score
So....had a week or so off this to sort some RL work stuff out (i used to love working in I.T. but now i find it soul destroying...)

Anyhows as it was nice & sunny this morning i though dam get this final sanded and the UV resin on and curing in the light.....final sanded and it starts to cloud up & rain....UK weather for you

29dxras.jpg

At lest i managed to get some osmo top oil on the neck..first of 3 coats,this stuff really does make that grain pop.

23wpuv6.jpg

here's hopping the sun comes out tomorrow!

Latest posts

')