Building a CARDBOARD acoustic

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
I posted this on the ReRanch forum and thought I might as well share here, too.

So I found this lovely blog on this guy's homemade acoustic guitar build:
Building an Acoustic Guitar in your Kitchen

And then I found a retired luthier building an acoustic from 2000 popsicle sticks:

And then all of a sudden, out of summer boredom, I got this crazy idea of building an acoustic guitar out of cardboard. I'm probably not the first, but I never saw it on the vast internets yet.

I started about 2 weeks ago with a lot of doubt, but now I'm halfway and it's looking pretty good. I'm not going to post a video with all the photos I have until I'm finished, but I'll show you guys the main ones. I really hope this will turn out successful o_O

dscn4339e.jpg

dscn4343.jpg

dscn4348.jpg

dscn4350q.jpg

dscn4357f.jpg

dscn4365j.jpg

dscn4369.jpg

dscn4378.jpg

dscn4386.jpg

dscn4389v.jpg

dscn4390m.jpg

dscn4392.jpg

dscn4394.jpg

dscn4396.jpg

Don't be deceived, that thing holds up pretty well. I'm hopefully working on it more today, and I'll post more pics later.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
walked about 4 miles total today to the bus stop to get to the mall and Guitar Center with my buddies. Spent $8.99 on nylon strings... I hope it will be worth it.

Anyways, photos
icon_smile.gif

Headstock is huge, like I said
icon_rolleyes.gif

dscn4409.jpg

Bridge and nut
dscn4415.jpg

Attaching the headstock
dscn4416ut.jpg

Gluing the dowels together to form the base of the neck
dscn4418q.jpg

If I'm able to, I'll post more pics tonight. Otherwise, I'll see you guys after my long-awaited vacation :3

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
So sometime between 1-2 AM in the morning, I took out the nylon strings to see how long they are. I was planning to string it through the bottom end of the guitar where I would add a piece of wood to make it look like in the pic below:
dsc01181.jpg

However, the strings are too short... but after a few minutes of thinking, I solved my problem. I will make something that will be similar to this (but not exactly):
hollow-body_006_big1.jpg

I sketched out my plan before going to bed because now I'm on vacation. Can't wait to be back and work on the guitar again
icon_smile.gif

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
Alright! Finally home from vacation. The WiFi at the place I was staying wouldnt let me go on YouTube... and it was also slow.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get back on track and start building. I may have some pics to show you guys, I'll check my cam after I take a break.

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
I was sawing a slab of wood with my coping saw and my arms are tired... so I'll just take a break and post some photos.

dscn4417v.jpg

dscn4418l.jpg

dscn4419.jpg

dscn4421x.jpg

dscn4422k.jpg

dscn4423.jpg

More later

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Have I mentioned that you're a mad scientist? I fully support your madness!

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Hey, you're that Viet from youtube, right? I remember seeing your finishing vids on youtube about 6 months ago, and saw the Vietnamese Newspaper underneath the guitar body. I also remember reading your name, and at first I thought it was DIY1337GUITAR for Do-it-yourself-Leet-guitar, but then I did a doubletake and realized that it was dUy. I've heard that there are a lot of Viets in Oregon. I wonder why. Nice Cardboard concept. I'll be following this thread.

Always drinking that Yeo's Sua Dau Nanh,
Phi ^_^