Building a Nine...

• Thread starter Hcash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
D

Desecrated

Just get the gooodman string and go with low F# to high A.
If I where to get a guitar tuned to Low C" I think I would like more then 30".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chris9

Reaction score
...hm 23.5" i guess... and even then i would highly recommend a .008 for a high A at 440Hz :yesway:

take a look at rusty cooleys conklin nine-string (which kicks ass btw :hbang: ), it has fanned frets from low f# (25.5") to high A (23.5"), and it works pretty well.

...anyway, good luck! we need more ninestrings like that! :wavey:

Conklin Cherished Challenges

sorry but that 9 is mine now!!!!!
and yeah it is awesome!!!!
The high A is hard to get the hang of at first but once ya get it oh the fun you can have!!! ha ha

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
The high A is hard to get the hang of at first but once ya get it oh the fun you can have!!! ha ha

I love that guitar, man. I go to the Conklin site all the time just to look at it. When I'm finally able to order my Conklin, it'll be pretty similar to yours.

chris9

Reaction score
i,m sure you will love it when you get one conklins are not cheep but they are awesome!!!! and the looks its gets when i take it out is worth the money alone!!!! ha ha

Hcash

These Eyes Are Blind
Reaction score
Thanks for the saddle help.... I suppose the string spacing on those will be pretty close to the strat style ones, 10.5mm???

midian

Reaction score

...yeah i know... you´re one lucky guy :yesway:

RGGR

Reaction score
Those would be wilkinson trem saddles. Not sure what type of metal he uses for the base plate, sorry. I know blackmachine does the same thing but with a piece of ebony as the base 'plate'. Sorry I don't know about titanium rods.

here are some wilkinson saddles btw, these are of the graphtech string saver variety

Graph Tech String Saver Saddle Set for Wilkinson (PS-8200-00)

hope that helps a bit, this build sounds awesome!

With my 8-stringer I'm going the same route. Graph-Tech saddles on custom base plate. Have strings go through body and design a custom back plate holding (and grounding) the strings at back of the guitar. With fanned bridge this is only real way to go.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score

Hey Chris, How do you find the low F# at that 25.5" scale? And what guage of string is it? Im just wondering because I just finished making an 8 string tuned B-A at 25.5" non-fanned frets, and was curious to try a 9 string project in the near future tuned F#-A at 25.5" with non-fanned frets.

Also sorry about the OT.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like great specs to me Holden :yesway:

I'd definitely recommend keeping the scale the way you have it and just use Garry's high A strings.

Hcash

These Eyes Are Blind
Reaction score
Adam:
The best way for figuring the gauges you need is this math formula:

(T x 386.4) / (2 x L x F)^2 = UW

T = tension (lbs.)
L = scale length (nut to bridge)
F = frequency (pitch in hertz)
UW = unit weight (expressed in pounds per linear inch. lbs/in.)

For the above formula you need to know the tension you want.
It is best for the neck to have the same tension on all strings (to prevent neck warping). I use 17.5 lbs on all strings... so the formula for the low A' (55 hz.) on my Ibanez MM 28" baritone would look like this:

(17.5 x 386.4) / (2 x 28 x 55)^2 = 0.00071280 -62 gauge. (The answer is simplified.)

To find what the UW is equal to in a string gauge look at the string tesion page on the d'addario website. They will not have the exact UW but you can find something close...

If you want to know the tension of the strings you have on your guitar/bass currently use this formula:

(UW x (2 x L x F)^2) / 386.4 = T

So with the same specs above and a 62 gauge string (which is actually equal to 0.00070697)

(0.00070697 x (2 x 28 x 550^2) / 386.4 = 17.3566258 lbs/in
-Which is only 7/50 of a lb. off...

To find the string you need use the first formula and simply change the scale length, frequency(for F# it's 46.3 hz.), and the tension to what you'd like.

It's allot of math (I like math:nuts: ) unless you have a TI-83 or better. But it’s accurate...

Anyway, here are the revised specs for my Nine:

Tunning: F#’ BEADGBEA

Scale: 24.5 – 28
-10th fret perpendicular at ¾”

Body Wood: Mahogany

Neck Wood: 5ply Rosewood/Ebony/Maple/Ebony/Rosewood
-Dual action truss rod and two titanium rods

Neck joint: Set thru

Fretboard: Ebony

Fret markers: Branded side dots only

# of frets: 27

Fretwire: 5/32” stainless

Nut: 2 ½” Brass
-7mm string spacing

Bridge: Graphtek Wilkinson VS-100 saddles on custom plate (string thru)

Pickup: Lundgren M9???

Controls: Killswitch only

Output: Locking ¼”

Tuners: Schadler locking

Finish: Oil

Strings: D’addario (8-9-14-17-22-32-42-56-80) 17.5 lbs on all strings…

As far as pictures go... I can't put any on here right now, but you can go to my pics on myspace(Yeah, myspace. I'm lame...)
The url is myspace.com/lord_of_the_storm
It's the last album.

')