Building BlackDroïd 7V

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
from what i´ve heard, bloodwood is similar to maple, but not quite as bright, so it´s probably in the ebony-area of brightness indeed :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
from what i´ve heard, bloodwood is similar to maple, but not quite as bright, so it´s probably in the ebony-area of brightness indeed :)

I always love when I read this because they dont tell you about the guitar itself, the scale lenght, the pickups, the body thickness, the hardware etc etc etc.....

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I always love when I read this because they dont tell you about the guitar itself, the scale lenght, the pickups, the body thickness, the hardware etc etc etc.....

true :p

but if someone that makes gazillions of guitars with all different types of fretboards all day, they´ll probably end up noticing the difference in sound some day, so i don´t think it´s too far from the truth :D

the only way to see for sure is to make 3 identical guitars with maple, ebony and bloodwood fretboards, and try them all unplugged to see what the acoustic difference is...

and who the hell has time to do that, anyways? :p

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I have built over 198 Guitars and I still cant approve what I read about the sound of wood sometimes in some magazines or forums....
Anyway this is an eternal debate There are already a lots of threads about it...

I love reading for exemple ''I need a mahogany guitar because I love a warm tone''

Basically this does not mean anything because at first ''mahogany'' does not mean anything... Mahogany is either Sapelli, Honduras, Sipo etc...
Most of them do not sound warm at all The sapelli can actually sound very bright...

i know, that´s why we have to guesstimate things sometimes :p

also, how heavy wood is :p

person 1: "mahogany is reely heavy, dood!"
person 2: "naw, man, my *mahogany guitar* weighs like nothing!"
person 1: "dude, no way! my 2$ les paul copy weighs 57 Kg!"
person 2: "oh yeah, well my 6000$ custom mahogany guitar is so light i have to put a feather on top of it to weigh it down when not playing it!"

wood is an endless debate indeed, we can only try to generalize based on what most people seem to think.

and that is one fat fretboard! i love it! :D

i never thought about fretboard thickness before, but i can imagine it has a huge impact on tone, no?

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
This build absolutely delivers. :yesway:

*Is very unhappy that another custom guitar is out of the question for a year or two*

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
interesting on the titebond in the fret slot. i use gel type superglue, just a little down the slot, but it always winds up squeezing out onto the wood and then i have to clean it up. i might have to give the tightbond idea a chance sometime.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
interesting on the titebond in the fret slot. i use gel type superglue, just a little down the slot, but it always winds up squeezing out onto the wood and then i have to clean it up. i might have to give the tightbond idea a chance sometime.

Benedetto uses titebond in his videos....

Its great because you can also remove the frets easier then with superglue...

The idea here is not to glue the frets but to create a mechanical bond on the tang inside the slot...

noob_pwn

Reaction score
thanks for taking your time out to share this with us patrick, it's been very insightful!
:yesway:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Benedetto uses titebond in his videos....

Its great because you can also remove the frets easier then with superglue...

The idea here is not to glue the frets but to create a mechanical bond on the tang inside the slot...

yeah, thats always my goal with the superglue, not to actually bond them to the fretboard, its just hard to always get a perfect amount, so it usually squeezes out the top a little bit

Ramsay777

Is an A7X fan
Reaction score
Patrick man, you are awesome, cheers for this!

I love your understated and almost "basic" style - Reminds me a lot of Blackmachine :metal:

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
Thought i would chime in and say that the work is looking awesome. Really like the style of V that you are doing. Very cool to see a guitar in all the stages of building.

Also hilarious to see a thread like this after reading the thread about that "Custom" guitar builder Devries. Who is he trying to kid:lol:. Its blasphemy to mention his name in this thread actually :nono: sorry ha ha

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Thought i would chime in and say that the work is looking awesome. Really like the style of V that you are doing. Very cool to see a guitar in all the stages of building.

Also hilarious to see a thread like this after reading the thread about that "Custom" guitar builder Devries. Who is he trying to kid:lol:. Its blasphemy to mention his name in this thread actually :nono: sorry ha ha

do not mention sham work in the presence of such art, it sullies the thread and over shadows the importance of the work.

now go homes and wash of the shames

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
do not mention shame work in the presence of such art, it sullies the thread and over shadows the importance of the work.

now go homes and wash of the shames

It puts the lotion on or else it gets the hose again

It wont happen again ha ha

')