Building dynaudio monitors? crazy idea?

• Thread starter bigsethmeister
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
I realize this might just be a silly idea but I keep thinking about it...

I have a set of Dynaudio mobile speakers. The specs are as listed below from Dynaudio's site:

System 240MKII
Two-way; set includes MW 160 7“ MSP one-piece woofer with 3“ Magnum aluminum voice coil, long-throw motor and vented, center dual-magnet structure, and MD 100 1.1“ soft dome tweeter with 1.1“ Magnaflux cooled aluminum voice coil and neodymium dual-magnet motor. Includes all hardware, grilles, crossovers and accessories. Audiophile quality crossover (X 250) is adjustable for three different tweeter operational modes. Phase correct, shallow slope crossover. Die-cast basket. Frequency response: 55 Hz - 25 kHz; 90 dB sens. 100 watts continuous.

These drivers are amazingly transparent. I can hear far more subtle differences in music than in any other speakers I've ever listened to, including high quality home systems.

I no longer use them in the car and am thinking about building enclosures and using them as studio monitors in my home project studio. Would need to find a decent clean power amp putting out 100wrms @ 4 ohms.

What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Are you crazy? Maybe... I gather cabinet design has a HUGE impact on the sound of a set of monitors, so it's possible that you might be about to bite off more than you can chew.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
Yes. I've built plenty of cabinets for other projects but I've never actually attempted a studio monitor. My guess is I'll have to makie a few attempts but that once I get it right I'll probably be pretty far ahead of what my budget would allow in terms of cheapie home monitors...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
If you just have the speakers sitting around, then what do you have to lose (other than low material cost and your own time)? Keep in mind though that calculating air space is only the beginning of the equation: you also have to worry about distance to focal point (from the cabs to your ears), which is different for different frequencies. So, the tweeters have to be closer than the woofers, because higher pitches travel faster and...man, I hope you're good at sound wave physics, which is what you really have to worry about if you're going to use them for studio monitors.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, all I can say is Dynaudio's are the most amazing monitors in existance! I've listened to them and they are ridiculously accurate. They easily and clearly point out what's wrong in a mix. I still hope to one day have a pair of BM15A's but they're a bit pricey so I'll have to wait a little longer.

I say go for it man! Like already said... what have you got to lose? One things for sure though... if you make these monitors yourself you MUST post up pics later and an honest unbiased non-first day use review. Like, post up after you've worked with them for at least a week ;)

Rev.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In all serious, screw the physics, etc - if it's a choice between no monitors or home-built monitors, I say something is better than nothing.

Personally, I use a pair of 'surround sound' speakers I pulled out of someone's trash, with the amp from a set of cheap computer speakers.

Yeah, I really need to invest in some monitors.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
I've no doubt what I end up with will be very nice sounding hifi speakers at worst. I do realize however that I probably won't be able to produce something with a truly flat response. But I spent $700 on the raw drivers and xovers about 10 years ago and haven't used in em quite a while so I really need to either sell them or put them to use. What I currently sue for monitors is a pair of higher end sony headphones :p

If I do get around to putting this together I promise to put up pics and review.

')