Building Guitars

Reaction score
I have been playing guitar and bass for about 2 years now and my interest in building has been piqued. I have very little idea of where to start and what to start with. I have an idea of what I'd like to build, which is solid body extended range electric guitars. I have almost no idea on what tools i would need. if you any advice or know somewhere you could point me I'd love to hear it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BranchDavidian

Reaction score
There is a luthery section of the forum. I recomend posting there. Arguably the trickiest part about making a guitar is building the neck. For that reason, i like to recomend people buy a premade neck through blank for their first attempt. Youll be able to make the body and headstock in whatver shape you want with whatever finish you want, and you can shape the neck however you want.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Start with a shitty guitar and replace the pickups and electronics.

Then maybe try to improve the frets on that shitty guitar.

Then maybe try a cheap kit, which is really just assembly and finishing, or strip down that cheap guitar and refinish it.

Then maybe buy a finished neck and a body blank.

Or, just dive in head first and start building a guitar. You'll learn quicker, but are more likely to screw something up and will likely cost the same in the end. Ha!

')