Building one of those small guitars with only six strings

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
dont even know where to start so ill just say it all in a bunch of text without dots or comas or ciptal letters Im lovin the shape more and more and i love the parkerish carve you are doing on the back but mostly i think im in love because of your use of aluminum to route the trussrod oh and the fact that you are using carbon fiber tio reinforce the neck.

Hey it ended up looking like half the posts in here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Definitely, carbon fiber neck reinforcement was yes.

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Progress!
me_gusta_by_megustaplz_d30cns2_Few_Memes_To_Bring_Sunshine_To_Your_Life-s510x510-163416-535.jpg

flo

Reaction score
When I took all these pictures yesterday I had two problems:
the batteries were almost completely flat, so I only could take one picture at a time and then wait for a couple of minutes until they decided they were prepared to do another one, and secondly I forgot the SD card, so I had to upload the pics to my computer every five pictures. Annoying.

Aaaaaanyway. More carving and stuff.

hpim2492i.jpg

scaled.php

scaled.php

hpim2492.jpg

hpim2493u.jpg

scaled.php

The neck heel is starting to take shape

scaled.php

One of my many employees holding the guitar to demo the smoothly accessible heel

hpim2497.jpg

hpim2499.jpg

I love this picture.

scaled.php

electric planer in, well, not in action, but shortly before and after I took this picture it was.
scaled.php

hpim2503m.jpg

scaled.php

scaled.php

Smoothening.

scaled.php

In this state, I can already say that I'm really happy how everything turns out. The guitar is incredibly light, just about 2.8 kilos in this condition, which is 6.2 pounds. It balances perfectly. The contours make it feel super comfortable. If I don't mess up anything seriously, this will become really nice. But I promise I will :D

flo

Reaction score
Looking good!

dont even know where to start so ill just say it all in a bunch of text without dots or comas or ciptal letters Im lovin the shape more and more and i love the parkerish carve you are doing on the back but mostly i think im in love because of your use of aluminum to route the trussrod oh and the fact that you are using carbon fiber tio reinforce the neck.

Hey it ended up looking like half the posts in here.

I love you too :wub:

Definitely, carbon fiber neck reinforcement was yes.

Thanks guys for your comments :wavey:

You see, I didn't really intend to make a serious guitar when I started this one . But then people on here started to get nerdy and demanded fanned frets and stuff. And I suck at saying no... besides, I'm a German, and you're breaking the law here if you don't take things seriously.

Now I'll end up with a fanned frets guitar with carbon fiber in a trapezoid shaped neck, and some complicated switching. All your fault:realmad::lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
That is turning out really damn good man! Would be awesome if you could do like a Thumb bass style carve on the back of the body but I think your hands are full with the carving you have to do already :lol:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Fuck. I have one custom going, I might need to sell my body to get another. I love these "exaggerated single-cut" shapes so much.

flo

Reaction score
That is turning out really damn good man! Would be awesome if you could do like a Thumb bass style carve on the back of the body but I think your hands are full with the carving you have to do already :lol:

Thank you :)
You mean the carve of the Warwick Thumb bass? Looks great indeed, I'll see if there is any wood left when I'm done carving ;)
If the wood was thicker, I would have tried to make a curved body like on the Teuffel Niwa.

Fuck. I have one custom going, I might need to sell my body to get another. I love these "exaggerated single-cut" shapes so much.
I've seen your Aura/Strandberg project, it looks awesome.
Selling your body for gear sounds better than my idea (selling body parts like kidneys etc for gear).

wayward

Banned
Reaction score
man it reminds me so much of a Decibel custom. Mainly bulb's. I love it.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
God, I love "exaggerated" single-cut guitars more and more as the days go by. Very common for basses, but uncommon for electric guitars.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd love to do a fanned-fret six-string and tune it in fifths. Just because. :)

Love the body shape! There are tons of basses with these organic type shapes, but very few guitarists (or guitar builders) seem interested in trying them for regular guitars. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out!

flo

Reaction score
i like that smooth carve on the back, it really does looks comfy.

God, I love "exaggerated" single-cut guitars more and more as the days go by. Very common for basses, but uncommon for electric guitars.

I'd love to do a fanned-fret six-string and tune it in fifths. Just because. :)

Love the body shape! There are tons of basses with these organic type shapes, but very few guitarists (or guitar builders) seem interested in trying them for regular guitars. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out!

*Googles "Teuffel Niwa guitar"*...:eek:

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and the nice compliments :wub:

It's really great to have you all in this thread, I drew a lot of inspiration from many of you, especially from scherzo, superwoodle, helferlain and darren :)

It's time for a small update :)

I've cut the slots for the frets, using my manual CNC-machine:

hpim2512.jpg

I sanded the radius to 10". I made the sanding block using a cheap 20" bassdrum, taped sanding paper to it and sanded a block of wood with it so it's got the right radius. :idea:
(No drums were harmed in this project).

The board is not glued on yet in the following pics.
hpim2511u.jpg

hpim2509t.jpg

Again, all the woods have been taken from a waste container, so someone thought they were rubbish :nuts:

That's it for now, hope you enjoy :)

SD83

Reaction score
Looks great so far. I see some lines on the headstock, what shape will it be? And, as I didn't find anything mentioned about it, what are your plans for the finish? Clear coat? Stain?

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
:shred: your guitar looks like a dream! really man.. fakkeen awesome!!!!!!!!

i would like an 8 with that shape

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
This thread delivers!!

And yeah, much like Darren, I dream of a fan fretted 6er just to tune in fifths... BUT, I might go 1 step further (actually, I think it's 1 step back) and make it a 5 stringer!! I'm pretty sure that will be my next build.

Anywho, back to studying for my finals.

flo

Reaction score
Looks great so far. I see some lines on the headstock, what shape will it be? And, as I didn't find anything mentioned about it, what are your plans for the finish? Clear coat? Stain?

Danke Stefan :)

I haven't designed the headstock yet. It's gonna be a 3+3, that's all I know so far.
I haven't decided fully on the finish either, but it's likely going to be white. I've got a friend who is an incredible artist, and if I'm lucky she might do a paintjob on it, something artistic. Maaaaaybe.

:shred: your guitar looks like a dream! really man.. fakkeen awesome!!!!!!!!

i would like an 8 with that shape

Hehe thanks:yesway:

This thread delivers!!

And yeah, much like Darren, I dream of a fan fretted 6er just to tune in fifths... BUT, I might go 1 step further (actually, I think it's 1 step back) and make it a 5 stringer!! I'm pretty sure that will be my next build.

Anywho, back to studying for my finals.

Fivestring? Diminished range guitars FTW :lol: (Actually the range would be more than on a normal six... who cares)

Good luck with your exams :yesway:

flo

Reaction score
I've made some progress today :)

I've decided on a headstock shape. I made it quite small to keep the weight as low as possible. Here it is:

scaled.php

Here is the routing template for the electronics cavity.

scaled.php

I've also done a lot of sanding, but I don't think that one can really see the difference to the older pics. Close-ups might have helped. Still:

scaled.php

This picture doesn't fit into the post because one can't see the shoe of the employee who has taken the photos.

scaled.php

scaled.php

The weight of the whole thing is just below 2,5 kg right now (5 lbs), I guess it will be under 3 kilos with all the hardware, so this is going to be super-light!

That's it for today:wavey:

')