Building one of those small guitars with only six strings

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
what i didn't take into account, is the fact that they get all the bikes right before summer, and then they keep that in stock, as that's the season for bike sales :lol:

so basically, when summer nears the end, no more cardboard boxes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flo

Reaction score
what i didn't take into account, is the fact that they get all the bikes right before summer, and then they keep that in stock, as that's the season for bike sales :lol:

so basically, when summer nears the end, no more cardboard boxes!

What size are snowboard boxes then? They should arrive soon ^^

flo

Reaction score
Alright you greedy gang, here comes the promised update.

I have spent six hours in my shed, and all work went into the trussrod.

Having nearly no experience in working with metal at all, I left the job of making some parts to my bravest employee.

Here he is, terrorizing the neighborhood with a grinder, which indeed saved years of time compared to a hand saw.

scaled.php

And, many hours later:

scaled.php

gitarre001.jpg

It certainly is not the finest piece of engineering, but it feels solid and I'm convinced it will do it's job.

And the best thing is the weight, it is exactly about 60 grams, not even half of the weight of a steel dual action trussrod, they are around 145 grams. Plus, half of the mass is the screw and the piece of metal it sits in, which is close to the body, so this should fight neckdive effectively.

I'm sorry, my parent's computer I'm sitting at right now is unbearably slow, and it's already past midnight, so I'll post more pics when I'm back at home.

Hope this will calm you guys for a few more days!

Reaction score
Wow, so that is how carbon truss-rod looks like? It all looks good Flo! After you sand everything down to awesomeness, the awesomeness will appear to all of us LOL.
Kind a like in Blade.
If you look into awesomeness, the awesomeness also looks into you ! :)

Kahless

Reaction score
I know It's probably been said before but that body shape is fantastic! It has some of the positive aesthetic qualities of purely ergonomic designs that i've seen, but without the sacrafice of unexpected missing parts of guitar (though that can be very interesting too, but what I mean is that it still looks like a big ol' piece of body, which i like).

Reactions: flo

IamSatai

Reaction score
↑ Ye I :lol:'ed when I saw that. Cannot wait for progress on this guitar, definitely one of my favourite body shapes ever, and I'm sure it will look even better when done.

Reactions: flo

flo

Reaction score
Wow, so that is how carbon truss-rod looks like? It all looks good Flo! After you sand everything down to awesomeness, the awesomeness will appear to all of us LOL.
Kind a like in Blade.
If you look into awesomeness, the awesomeness also looks into you ! :)

You're an inspiration man, amazing work

Body looks great, shaping that neck from its current state looks like its going to be a nightmare.

Waitin' for more news! :)

I know It's probably been said before but that body shape is fantastic! It has some of the positive aesthetic qualities of purely ergonomic designs that i've seen, but without the sacrafice of unexpected missing parts of guitar (though that can be very interesting too, but what I mean is that it still looks like a big ol' piece of body, which i like).

↑ Ye I :lol:'ed when I saw that. Cannot wait for progress on this guitar, definitely one of my favourite body shapes ever, and I'm sure it will look even better when done.

Thank you everybody for the comments!!
I'm quite busy this week, so you'll have to wait a little for more progress.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Loving this! I don't know what it is about your curvy body shapes, but they always remind me of the beginning of Good Times:

barnes_ernie_sugar_shack.jpg

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
UGHHH IT'S SOOO PRETTY. And that fingerboard. Just incredible, especially if you're really going on with the pickup covers from the same wood. I've definitely been wanting to commission a friend of mine for a custom six with that very same wood color scheme, either with padauk board or bloodwood as I believe I've seen elsewhere.

KEEP IT UP, I can't wait to see it finished.

flo

Reaction score
Loving this! I don't know what it is about your curvy body shapes, but they always remind me of the beginning of Good Times:

barnes_ernie_sugar_shack.jpg

I guess I can see why ;)

UGHHH IT'S SOOO PRETTY. And that fingerboard. Just incredible, especially if you're really going on with the pickup covers from the same wood. I've definitely been wanting to commission a friend of mine for a custom six with that very same wood color scheme, either with padauk board or bloodwood as I believe I've seen elsewhere.

KEEP IT UP, I can't wait to see it finished.

Thank you:)

I have been working on it yesterday, the frets are installed and sidedots are as well.:agreed:

flo

Reaction score
Hi,

just wanted to inform you that this thread isn't dead.

The parts have arrived a week ago, thomann was awesome enough to send the parts they had in stock, and delivered the missing straplocks a few days later, with no added shipping costs.

But then I've been busy with a band project I joined as a bassist, and this weekend I wanted to continue with the guitar but I am sick :(

Only positive thing is that the new Dream Theater album is out and I can listen to it all day long in bed, and god it's gooooood :hbang:

Aaaanyway, I can tell you one new thing about the guitar. I've bought replacement saddles for a wilkinson bridge, and they will be mounted on a ground plate. Think this is the best option for a semi-custom bridge, and it's still within the budget.

like this:

hpim2572.jpg

Latest posts

')