Bulb-Icarus Lives cover

Duckykong

Sum Dat NegroSprite
Reaction score
Me jammin to this badass song on my 7!
Comment and rate!
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ru43YUwW86g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ru43YUwW86g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

oops wtf @ this dammit

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i've only got one "complaint", which is really just an observation. it seems everyone who covers this song does both too deep and too fast bends in the main riff. in this video, your bends are "exponential" instead of "linear" if that makes any sense. you hold the note a bit, then do a quick bend to reach the final note. in the original, these bends are slow and gradual, start at the beginning of the notes, and they only reach their final pitch by the end of the notes.

i might be wrong in this observation, but it's just a tiny detail more than anything. the overall cover and tone etc. is great :)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice job
man the opening riff to this song is just so bad ass:shred:

Haunted

Dedicated Headbanger
Reaction score
Badass tone man! what gauge do you use for that low G#?

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Awesome cover, dude. :yesway: I've thought about doing a cover of Icarus Lives! as well, but it seems like anyone who knows who Bulb/Periphery is covers this song, so I might do a different one.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
you guys all want to be bulb :lol:
Only stating the obvious :fawk:

Kidding of course. This video makes me feel bad for selling off my VK100 to get a Bugera 6262.. but I can't resist the 6262's tone (After trying one and finding it for a mere 500 dollars, I've become a Bugera convert :bowdown:)

Duckykong

Sum Dat NegroSprite
Reaction score
@MF_Kitten your correct. Out of habit i did not change it though. besides, this makes it a bit of my own.
@haunted I use 9's all the way accross.

@XeoFLCL Yea this amp has a ton of potential. I personally dont know why so many people dont like it, especially not for this style. In this video it was Guitar>Amp. You should hear this thing with a screamer.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
@XeoFLCL Yea this amp has a ton of potential. I personally dont know why so many people dont like it, especially not for this style. In this video it was Guitar>Amp. You should hear this thing with a screamer.
In all honesty, these amps shine most with a boost in front of them with the vol at 3/4 on the boost, tone around 6~7, and gain at 1/4. It really accents the mids, and surprisingly turns them into absolute djent machines. I haven't sold my valveking yet and I'm REALLY double thinking it because I love the mid punch and power I get out of this amp, and the tight lows I get out of aswell. If you EQ it in right, then these things literally destroy (The trick to EQing these amps in isn't really in the EQ itself. It's in the texture and the presence/resonance). I have a Digitech Bad Monkey in front of mine and it gets one of the nicest tones out there to my ears.. but it's also an amp that's easy to find, and runs for cheap used (250~300) so I'll prolly just do it and grab another down the line, since 1: I need a 2x12 bad since I can't keep hauling a 4x12 around due to back issues, and 2: Finding Bugera 6262s used is like finding a diamond in the rough. I scored a deal for the 2x12 for 500 bucks brand new on sale. Great deal.

Also, the more you turn up Valvekings the better they sound. At bedroom levels (around 1~2) they're alright, but the lows can be flubby and they can lack a bit of bite. not until you pass 2 do they really tighten up and gain that oomph bite. Of course, the cabs with these amps REALLY make a major difference. I found the stock valveking cab is well.. absolute crap. I'm using an old 1990s peavey cab with greenback soundalikes (sheffield 1290s) and it rips.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
"i use 9's all the way across" gives me a mental image of a 7 string where all the strings are .09 strings. that would be hilariously unplayable :lol:

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
It'd make for one weird ass improv song that's for sure. Imagine the weird ass chromatic arps that would come out of it :D

Latest posts