Bulb's really short heavy mixtest! Be bulbs ears plz!!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Hey dudes, i havent posted any new songs here for a while for a few reasons, been working, been working on the ep, been working on juggernaut and new ideas that arent ready to be heard yet, but i am workin on plenty of songs for all of your earholes haha. (including a groovy little 8 string ditty that me and jake b are workin on, probably gonna post that soon!)
However now the priority is to finish the ep, only half of the letter experiment vocals need to be done, then i just need to program a few of the drums with orbo so its exactly the way he plays them and then i mix.
Maybe its because i spend too much time with my mix but im having trouble telling whether its too bright or too bassy or whatever.

So please, listen to this:
SoundClick song info: New Short Mix Test by Bulb - Metal, or what i call metal rather. I write music so i can listen to it. There are not many bands i listen to because not many artists do it just right for me. So these are my attempts at making musi
a little mixtest i did with the carvin fatboy
my mixes have always been on the bright side, which i like, but just tell me if its too bright and hurts your ears, and if its too bassy and messes with the low end (especially those of you with nice monitors and stuff!) Let me know if you think its good or bad, and why you think it is so and any suggetions you may have, but remember to keep it constructive as i am just trying to get as much useful input as possible for the ep mix.

thanks dudes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
Man. That tone is something else. I love the tweet-like sound on the higher notes..

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
Sounds like it has a bit more low end then most of your stuff. Only checkin it on my shitty work speakers but it still sounds good. The song idea sounds pretty wicked too

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score

ICK!!!

Dude, I dont hate the mix, but it sounds like there is alot of high end floating around in the headroom (I guess its called synthesia, but I see mixes as rooms, small and compact, huge and open, ect. It has alot of "busy" in the ceiling of the room where there isn't much up there. Its hard to describe without actually sounding retarded with me telling you what I see). Did you boost the 16khz up?

Again, dont hate it, and I would totally buy it.

bulb

Reaction score
interesting description!
no i actually cut the high end, and actually a little moreso on this mix than my later ones for fear of my mixes being too bright on other people's systems. i also did inject some low end into the mix. but i tried to dull out the high end without dulling out the high end in the mix if that makes sense...i guess its good you dont hate it haha!

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
With the depth of tuning you use, bright is about the only way to go. Its not black metal played through a phonograph bright. Im running this through a pair of "studio" headphones (it makes me feel special when i say it instead of just headphones), so maybe some of the highend im hearing will be lost through a speaker/regular monitoring system.

bulb

Reaction score
well thanks for the crit man, thats exactly the kind of stuff i want to know!
ill see what i can do!

thedownside

Reaction score
amazing, as usual! i wish i could get the seperation or whatever you call it, that you get from the left and right guitars. only thing i hear that sounds weird to me is some of the bass, just doesnt sit right, hard to explain.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
This is probably my crappy work computer speakers, but;

Sounds a bit screechy compared to your other tracks.

and, everything else falls out with every snare hit. recovery is slow.
(I hope that made some sense)

Like the riff, though.

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Any chance you can upload a higher quality sample? Preferably lossless? It just feels to me like theres a big chunk of the midrange missing from the clip. Then again, my audio equipment brings out all the compression artifacts in compressed music and thus it sounds pretty bad :\

The riffing is...interesting. I gotta listen some more and think about it. Better quality would help :p

swedenuck

Strictly Business
Reaction score
The way it sounds to me I'd try beefing out the bass track (if there is one) with some extra high mids just to fill up the hole. Not so much that the tone gets inherently clacky, but just enough to add some guts. Even though it's not a bad thing I find your mixes to always be a little on the very precise 'hi-fi' side. (Lots of treble presence for your cymbals and such, with quite a bit of low end to bring da djent) The guitars are geared in the same way but it shouldn't be too much of an issue because the frequencies are still going to sit in the md range of the mix. You just need to IMO bring in some mids from the other instruments, or go with a complimentary eq'd guitar track to fatten shit up.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
When I listened through regular desktop speakers it sounded fine.

But when I plugged a regular pair of sony headphones in it sounded really bass heavy. It wasn't a bad sound at all, but I could definately feel the bass coming down on me.

')