Burning Hot Metal Takes

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the same as it's ever been.

(I love that the meme video has outlived the original. Bonus BRJ sighting.)

Man, that video sure brings memories! You know, like Misha, Nolly and Keith Merrow sponsoring Bernie Rico Jr. guitars here while hundreds of customers were being scammed :djent:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Man, that video sure brings memories! You know, like Misha, Nolly and Keith Merrow sponsoring Bernie Rico Jr. guitars here while hundreds of customers were being scammed :djent:
From scamming people buying into the BRJ nonsense to presenting amps as MIA when they never were. "Just put a sticker on it!" Lmao. Where are the photos Misha?

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Jesus, that tone is insufferable when he shows the pick attack sound, yikes
I always thought it was weird that a guy with bad tone makes a ton of money selling other people his bad tone. Nolly should have gotten all that money instead

Nu metal was a more interesting sub genre than djent which is just a Xeroxed version of nu metal from a printer running out of toner.
it really was. Nu metal had more variety of style and sound at any single given moment, than djent managed to cover in 15 years.

People hate (hated?) on metalcore/NWOAHM/deathcore/whatever but all of those subgenres have amounted to much more than djent ever has. Deathcore especially was beaten all up and down the internet like a red headed stepchild for all of the 2000s but here it is still doing great all these years later whereas I'm not even sure if djent is really a thing anymore.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
buddy out here writing a novel.
what if there's no formula and what if there's no heirarchy to causes of success and what if this is just a forum for extended range guitar nerds and
It's okay, no one will read my post because it's too long, but no one will read yours, either, because you forgot to type it all out, so we'll call it even. :lol:
From scamming people buying into the BRJ nonsense to presenting amps as MIA when they never were. "Just put a sticker on it!" Lmao. Where are the photos Misha?
Not a defense by any means, but the whole "Made in America" sticker ploy had been used in the guitar industry many times.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The secret was the dulcet tones of the EMG 81.
bc36316d198cb1bbd2d90c13ada1d36b

name a more iconic duo.. I'll wait.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
IMO, the same as it's ever been.

(I love that the meme video has outlived the original. Bonus BRJ sighting.)

The djent thing really isn't that deep even though it's been something people have bickered about for over a decade now. It's onomatopoeia. Does the song have prominent riffs that go "djent, djent, djent"? If it passes the audible "sniff test" so to speak, it's fair to say it's djent.

The genre has grown, evolved (maybe...) and picked up new defining traits along the way but has any djent band really wandered all that far away from the Meshuggah-inspired early Periphery/SikTh sound to be that ambiguous?

I've said this before but the fact that nobody took like, Meshuggah's dark transhumanism themes are walked further with them kind of sucks. I've never seen actual Djent band lyrics and went "Oh, that's sick as fuck"

I'm a carnal, organic anagram
Human flesh instead of written letters
I rearrange my pathetic tissue
I incise, I replace, I'm reformed
I eradicate the fake pre-present me
Elevate me to a higher human form
The characters I am
Made into a word complete
Then I'll be the new norm
Self-inflicted fractures
I replace my bones with bars
Aluminum bleeding oxide
Drug of gods into my pounding veins
My receiving eyes exchanged with fuses
Blindness induced to prevent destruction
Ceramic blades implanted past my ribs
To save me from the dues of inhalation
I tear my worthless, useless skin
Staples to pin it over my ears
Non-receptive of ungodly sounds
I disable the audio-generators of fear
Hexagonal bolts to fill my mouth
Sharpened to deplete
The creator of all violence
Without speech there will be no deceit
Baptized in vitriolic acid
A final touch, a smoothing of features
Completion of the greatest art
To cast all godly creatures
Humans, once astray, made divine
Stripped of congenital flaws
We're incandescent revelations
In a world of darkened forms
Disciples
Come join with me
To save a failed humanity
Follow the god of cyanide into the new eternity
Behold, a sacrificial race
In cleansing worshiping of pain
The new millennium Christ
Here to redeem all from lies
Lies!

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Ok, time to bite back with Kent Brockman...

1. Periphery is boring.

2. Black Clouds & Silver Linings and Images and Words are Dream Theater's two best albums. A View from the Top of the World is probably third. Scenes from a Memory is fourth. Either Six Degrees or their self-titled album is fifth.

3. I don't understand how anyone over the age of 13 can listen to Slayer unironically.

4. Chris Broderick was Megadeth's greatest guitarist.

Last edited:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
That Corabi album is so good. I think Richie got lost in the Shrapnel group and was pigeon holed as just another shredder.

The irony is that Richie is an amazing fusion but he just dumbs it down and plays shitty rock and metal because that's where the money is. Like the Winery Dogs are awful and with 3 world class musicians, you expect a lot more but it's just super bland, dull radio rock.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
The irony is that Richie is an amazing fusion but he just dumbs it down and plays shitty rock and metal because that's where the money is. Like the Winery Dogs are awful and with 3 world class musicians, you expect a lot more but it's just super bland, dull radio rock.
I mean it's the same thing with Chickenfoot. How does a group with Hagar, Michael Anthony and Satch sound so boring.

tian

Reaction score
I was a deathcore kid in the 2000's. I fucking love breakdowns and beatdowns and djent appealed to me at first with the start stop rhymic stuff. Then people started fucking SINGING on it.
This is so painfully true. There was a short window of time where so much of this stuff sounded so good and I think a lot of us were projecting the vocals we expected for the final recordings. And that very much did NOT come to pass.

')