Burning Hot Metal Takes

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My hot take is Midwest emo is better than metal. Fight me about it.
I find it funny I'm from the Midwest, was in an emo-esque band years ago but am not knowledgeable on Midwest emo. Got any recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I find it funny I'm from the Midwest, was in an emo-esque band years ago but am not knowledgeable on Midwest emo. Got any recommendations?
American Football
Don Caballero
Invalids (more math rock/Midwest)
Algernon Cadwallader (amazing)
Tiny Moving Parts (Dylan was featured in a fender ad pretty recently, amazing player)
Dads
Microwave
Tigers Jaw
Citizen (from my town, pretty decent)

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Not a hot take....just an honest one. Anyone who says Ghost isn't metal doesn't know what they are talking about....Period. Not arguing they are good or bad metal but they are metal. Not defending Ghost I'm attacking ignorance. It is not Ghost's fault that you think everything in a mask needs to sound like Slipknot. It's not Ghost's fault that they pull from more historical influences than you are aware of because you first learned about metal the first time you walked into Hot Topic.

Do yourself a favor and tell me why Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark" is metal but the song below, Absolution isn't isn't. And while I posted the song's below that previously, tell me how the Scorpions' (a metal band) song Big City Nights isn't the same exact song as Ghost's Dance Macabre

Yes Virginia, this is metal

I've said it before and I will say it again....metal, as a genre has the largest tent in music and not every band in that tent has to make music that inspires crowd surfing or slam dancing. There is nothing wrong with hating Ghost's music, I won't say "Boo" about that (see what I did there) but please become more knowledgeable before you flash your gate keeper card with impunity

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
American Football
Don Caballero
Tiny Moving Parts (Dylan was featured in a fender ad pretty recently, amazing player)
Dads
Microwave
Tigers Jaw
I've heard of American Football but that's it. Thanks!

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The other half of people alive seem to think they're the best thing ever, so yes they can haha!

Their stage aesthetic has somehow led people to believe they're playing metal, even though they're clearly not (not playing metal obviously doesn't make them bad, but this shows how much people's view of the band is warped by the aesthetic). Equally, it somehow makes people think the music is far better than it is. Ditch the costumes etc. and their reputation would be limited to "Swedish rock band with one catchy song".

Meh, I've been listening to them since their debut, and I never once got the impression that they were metal. Besides that, I was listening to them before I even knew what they looked like, so... I just take them for what they are, just a band playing music that happens to have some songs I like. It probably has something to do with the fact that they lean closer to older rock rather than the super polished modern metal thing that's been done to absolute death, so for me, Ghost were a bit of a palette cleanser.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
American Football
Don Caballero
Dads
Microwave
Tigers Jaw
How is Don Caballero Midwest Emo?

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
After the Burial should have called it quits after Justin died. They haven't made anything good in ages.

Propagandhi and Billy Talent go harder than most metal bands.

Brad Paisley is a better shredder than 95% of metal shredders.

Scale the Summit is shitty post rock for dream theater nerds.

The worst part about Coheed and Cambria is Claudio's vocals.

Amon Amarth hasn't been good for 15 years at least.

St. Vincent, Sum 41 and Nickelback all have better metal pedigrees than Ghost.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Propagandhi and Billy Talent go harder than most metal bands.
The guitarist from Billy Talent is a riff monster and a hell of a player.
Brad Paisley is a better shredder than 95% of metal shredders.
His live version of Hot For Teacher is great, shame the crowd couldn't have cared less but I can't blame them for having no idea what's happening lol.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
12 pages later and there's STILL people thinking shitting on Ghost is a hot take? Jesus fucking Christ, this place some times.

This thread is either the most obvious metal opinions, or people trying to bait.

IMO, a hot take would be somebody praising Ghost here. :lol:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Ehh you're pretty right, I've kinda lumped a lot of those math bands into the genre Tera Melos, Giraffes? Giraffes! etc..
I guess I can kind of see it from the Twinkly Guitars(TM) angle, but other than that I don't hear it. I kinda thought vocals were a requirement in the genre.

Jahnboy9000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Scale the Summit is shitty post rock for dream theater nerds.

I worked a Scale the Summit show maybe 6 years ago and it was one of the worst live experiences I've ever seen. They just all faced the drummer and ignored the crowd and just kind of milled about between songs. No energy. Battlecross was added to the bill last second after Trivium dropped and they were a blast live. Pretty standard stuff but they really surprised everyone because they were/are nobodies.

')