Burning Hot Metal Takes

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah04

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The current modern tech death scene of bands like Revocation, Inferi, Archspire et all does nothing for me. On paper they should appeal, but I find nothing that sticks or has any sort of staying power.
Archspire sounds like a dollar store Spawn Of Possession, similar ingredients but lacking the original flavor

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've listened to some of Dean Lamb's playthroughs, and their bassist also has a YT page where he includes some breakdowns, I think the biggest crux of AS is that the drummer seems to have no restraint; he's just "Oops, all blast beats for the entire song, every song" whereas if you dial it back when the guitar is going HAM or go HAM when some of the other instruments are doing 1/8th or 1/16th note runs, it greatly changes the dynamic and is inherently more interesting.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I've listened to some of Dean Lamb's playthroughs, and their bassist also has a YT page where he includes some breakdowns, I think the biggest crux of AS is that the drummer seems to have no restraint; he's just "Oops, all blast beats for the entire song, every song" whereas if you dial it back when the guitar is going HAM or go HAM when some of the other instruments are doing 1/8th or 1/16th note runs, it greatly changes the dynamic and is inherently more interesting.
I'll agree with that. Doesn't stop me from watching Dean and toby live work some wizardry with their pickup switching game. Seriously, watching the amount of times they switch pickups in Doppelganger is insane.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Metal is full of hypocrisy and that's fine as long as you can admit you just like what you like.

Does all modern metal sound the same? If you aren't into it, yes. It's all just flavor of the month pickups with flavor of the month patches. Which, despite what people think, isn't a bad thing. My 2 favorite types of metal are cranked Marshall into hot rodded Strat and EMGs into Dual Recs

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Jim Matheos and Frank Aresti should be up there with the Elite metal guitar duos, your Glenn Tipton and KK Downings, your Dave Murray and Adrian Smiths, your Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmos (and if they aren't on that list, add them).

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Entheos writes some of the most boring and uninspired tech death I've ever heard, and that's saying something.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Growl vocals need to get in the bin straightaway. Mustaine singing through his clenched teeth gets a pass because (1) I can usually understand him and (2) the iconic riffs. Really the world would be a better place if more people in metal bands would stop making noise with their faces and just focus on sick riffs and heavy grooves. Solos, too, as long as they don’t all sound like the thirty million bozos on Tik-Tok all playing the same thing. Try to throw an actual musical idea in there once in a while, hopefully one that can’t be replicated by a Dremel tool, dental drill, mustache trimmer, etc.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Gear review videos are boring and are just dime-a-dozen, at this point. Same type of things can be said with superstrats especially in the 7 string category and up.

Mustaine singing through his clenched teeth gets a yikes hard pass
Fixed. The angsty 11 year old-esque lyrics sore at the world fit with that style he's been stanning, too. Not that it's something to celebrate, but it is there just the same.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Entheos writes some of the most boring and uninspired tech death I've ever heard, and that's saying something.

Those ultra-cool Jacksons deserve better. No doubt. Good thing Malcom Pugh didn't stay and went on to make a kickass band instead.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Those ultra-cool Jacksons deserve better. No doubt. Good thing Malcom Pugh didn't stay and went on to make a kickass band instead.
It's a shame because Travis is a great player, and I wanted to see him put out some cool tech death stuff. Malcolm is a monster player and writer, I love his stuff in Inferi.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gear review videos are boring and are just dime-a-dozen, at this point. Same type of things can be said with superstrats especially in the 7 string category and up.
I like the video reviewers who don’t mind conveying their ambivalence about a piece of gear, or at least are realistic about the balance of pros and cons. It seems like most people are quick to decide between fawning praise and absolute condemnation, and it blinds them to nuance and perspective.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It seems like most people are quick to decide between fawning praise and absolute condemnation, and it blinds them to nuance and perspective.
This, regarding everything. Every topic is sports now.

Latest posts

')