Burning Hot Metal Takes

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
They are "more interested" in that because it is the only way they can make a living. You know, because it is dead.
There are tons of reasons why live rock and roll is in its final death throes. Youtube is a huge part of it, but there are other reasons, too:
1. It's no longer fresh.
2. Tinder. Bands used to get their start playing at bars. Bars are drying up. Young people rarely go to bars anymore because they don't have any incentive to do so. Between hookup apps and cops cracking down on drunks, there are a lot fewer places for shitty rock bands to play.
3. Streaming. Making your own CDs or, before that, tapes, used to be a cumbersome process of setting up dad's garage or mom's basement as a shitty makeshift recording studio. You'd make your recording over a weekend or two, burn or dub physical media, then sell it for $10 to a handful of dedicated fans. Now, you can download an entire band, grab a microphone, and record all you want by yourself and stream it for .004 cents. For one, you don't NEED your buddies to lug their drums and amps over and for two, even if you wanted to approach it that way, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
4. Culture. We've shifted culture away from things that take patience to learn. Video games used to be painfully difficult, but now they all start with a tutorial and you can always start from your last save if you mess up. In the USA, it's nearly impossible to get a car that's not automatic. Homecooked meals come in kits now. Everything is made easier, which is great, but it means that life goes at a faster pace, so there isn't time to go deep with stuff anymore. Even learning to play an instrument these days is more of a solo thing. You take lessons online, which increases the barrier of just jamming with other people, which leads to fewer bands.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Exivious shouldn't have broken up, Our Oceans is trash

Very true. Not sure if that's a hot take at all.

Lol @ the ghost arguments. Are Ghost the new Nickelback where they're just fun to shit on? Not sure how they even get mentioned in a "metal" thread anyways, especially this many times, but oh well.

I guess I'll post a hot take or something.

Most modern thrash bands are boring as shit and just sound like parodies of the genre. It's like there's a list of bullet points they have to make with sound and writing and straying far from that makes you a poser or something.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Lol @ the ghost arguments. Are Ghost the new Nickelback where they're just fun to shit on? Not sure how they even get mentioned in a "metal" thread anyways, especially this many times, but oh well.
Their debut did come out over ten years ago and their 'metal-worthiness' continues to be litigated. Metal is so stagnant that even the shit-talking is stale.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Ghost is shit talked because their music blows ass. And they get mentioned because all music websites seem to think they're metal for god knows what reason.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Metal needs more covers of pop songs in different genres; I mean, how else will I know what "classic" song referenced in a TV show/movie would sound like as *insert choice here*?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer Five Finger Meth Lunch.
71312163.jpg

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Limp Finger Clownback?

Or what about the latest survival horror game "Five Nights at Five Finger Death Punch Concerts?"
LMAO. If you walk out of that without an Affliction shirt, Ed Harley (or whatever his name is) artwork, or a Monster sticker, you beat the odds.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
More old school but ACDC used to be considered metal so while I hate and detest Brian Johnson’s voice more than anything….musically the Fly on the Wall album is far superior to Back in Black and its not close

My fav ACDC album is Flick Of The Switch. Fly On The Wall has some killer tunes but I don't like production/mix on it.
Their "heavy blues" stuff is cool and by and large is what made them popular for me though it's tunes like Send for the Man, Nervous Shakedown, Bedlam in Belguim etc is where it's at

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
My fav ACDC album is Flick Of The Switch. Fly On The Wall has some killer tunes but I don't like production/mix on it.
Their "heavy blues" stuff is cool and by and large is what made them popular for me though it's tunes like Send for the Man, Nervous Shakedown, Bedlam in Belguim etc is where it's at
I would agree that the production on fly on the wall is horrible. Also flick of the switch is also better than back in black. No hits but i could listen to it start to finish without skipping songs

BusinessMan

Reaction score
To contribute to the thread, Sun Eater is one of the best death metal albums of the past decade that doesn't get the credit it deserves because JFAC is never going to escape the shadow of that damn Spongebob meme video lol (rip MySpace).
Sun eater is such a damn good album. I was just listening to it the other day. The writing, production, instrumentation, vocals are all just stellar.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I would agree that the production on fly on the wall is horrible. Also flick of the switch is also better than back in black. No hits but i could listen to it start to finish without skipping songs
IDK. I couldn't really listen to either of those albums. To me, AC/DC built their career up to Back in Black, and then, after that, everything they released sounded kind of the same as whatever they had previously released. They had their little blip at the turn of the 80s/90s decade with "Who Made Who," "Thunderstruck," and "Moneytalks," but, if we are going to be honest, those songs also really didn't introduce us to anything new from the band. At least Ballbreaker had a little more play in the tempo of songs and took the lyrics into new cringey directions instead of the same old cringey topics. :shrug: It still sounded 90% the same as post-Back in Black AC/DC, though.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Devin Townsend's prolific amount of material is to the detriment of his legacy.

I was a huuuuge Devin fan back from like 2006-2011, but basically everything after Addicted wasn't for me. Weirdly enough that's basically half his catalogue now. I'm happy Devin is enjoying much bigger success though, and happy that his success has let him play huge live shows with set lists I never would have thought could happen back in 2006.

')