Burning your Guitars

• Thread starter skeels
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
So, a couple people asked me about a couple refins I had done a while ago utilizing fire to bring out an otherwise dull wood grain. So, here's a little bit.

I was refinishing guitars for a while, mostly because I was bored with my like fourteen black guitars and partially because I wanted to do some swirls. During my adventures in sanding, I found a couple had a nice hunk of wood underneath the black and so I had stained a couple as repainting had begun to lose its luster, as it were, and I had gotten onto a bit of a natural wood kick.

But I found a couple were very dull underneath the thick black gloss, and wondered how I could make a stain job stand out. I really only had a few stains, provincial, golden oak and something else, and didn't have any experience with dyes and sandbacks yet.

To wit, some befores:

A Fender Squier Stagemaster, replete with the most boringest veneer on both the front and back..

And an Ibanez 7321..

The 7321 had the thickest sanding sealer- that layer of discolorarion below the clear coat and the paint that seems to never come off as you keep on sanding and sanding... I honestly think I may have sanded off a veneer from this one. I just kept sanding and sanding until it was too late to guess what I was taking off. I may have sanded a few mm's off.

Who knows? I sure don't. I went sand-happy. I ended up taking the belt sander to the bass wood and carving in some RGD style bevels, which actually came out very nice.

At this point, I can't rightly recall how fire came into the equation. Perhaps the pyro in me. Perhaps some obscure reference, now shrouded in the mists of time, lost forever, possibly buried somewhere in the seemingly endless archive of ancient posts on this very forum.

But the idea of burning things, even only partially, is a strong one to me, so I went for broke.

So, I did.

I borrowed my buddies propane torch and just went to town. I had no idea what I was doing, but I did it just the same. Lightly, I began to singe the wood, being very careful to not fry the glue joins that bound the wood pieces together. I found that the edges and corners and screw holes and such would darken and basically char more quickly that the flat parts. But it began to slowly bring life and character out where before there was none.

You will notice the veneer on the squier had no grain to bring out, but the darkening of the surface gave it something other than the lifeless look of boiled chicken that it had. Bleah.

After I was more or less satisfied with the scorching, I stained both. The 7321 then got many coats of tungoil finish and the Squier, whose neck I also burned, got a satin clear from a rattle can. Both were very nice, although now I much prefer the oil finishes.

Aaand some afters:

So. Was there any actual advice in there? Hm.

It's a lot like sanding with power sanders, only if you're not careful. you will burn your house down.

Don't "park" your flame in one spot.

Don't over cook any spots, especially edges and routes and holes. You can always add more fire, you cannot take fire away.

You can't un-burn something. Especially your pants or your hands and stuff.

It's fire.

I suppose you could use a gas stove or a BBQ or something, but that would certainly be more difficult to control.

Anyways, have fun, keep a fire extinguisher handy, or at least a big glass of water, especially if your shop is like mine and filled with sawdust and wood chips, and enjoy your work!

:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Nice! that Ibby came out great. I love the RGD bevels. I tried doing something like this to friends junky starter guitar when i was 16 with a propane torch in the garage. Just burnt the hell out of it more then anything. Your's came out roasted to perfection!

I think multi-plys can look great with the right amount of care. Here's a Dean I customized when I was a kid.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60117994@N08/8873330487/in/set-72157633776293966/

fortisursus

Reaction score
Nice! I really love burned finishes. Awhile back I decided to try refinishing(had no clue what I was doing). To take off the finish I used a heat gun. Mind you this was the first time I had ever actually used a heat gun. The end process was me scorching the body of an old beat up Jackson Dinky Pro XL. I decided I actually liked the way it looked and left is as it was. If you have a guitar that is beat up and you want to have some fun I would definitely say go for it! Though mine was completely accidental.

Before:
7457433172_002f263a9f.jpg

After:
7457433344_dc99eb5b28_c.jpg

7457432896_12637a22db_c.jpg

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Good tip, skeels - thanks! :) I like how that came out.

Fortisursus - that came out nice, too! Happy accident! :)

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Damn. Great idea if I get another strat style guitar!

EDIT: How did you cover up the fretboard when you burned the back of the neck? The neck on my RG is plain boring and I want to make it match the Koa top look!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the comments! :)

crg123- love the V- very nice!

Forty- cool jackson- looks like driftwood or something!

Manurack- man I don't think I did anything for the fret board!? I just toasted the back lightly and then satin cleared it. It came out feeling really good. I might have taped it...

Iron Beard- I might be able to do something for you man-you're not too far from me! Shoot me a message and we can talk.

Stay tuned!

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks awesome Andy . I had a go at this and overcooked this one :ugh:

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
They both came out great though I'd probably prefer black pickups to go with the new coloration personally.

Looking good :hbang:

fortisursus

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what a nice piece of figured maple would look like with an overall charred effect. Seems like it could be pretty cool if not over done.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Dammit skeels. Now I'm thinking of burning my 8 when it's all put together and shit.

chrisxrome

Reaction score
This is so cool. The temptations of dangerous fire is now pretty strong. My 8 is in need of an overhaul

')