Buying 7 string! Finally

• Thread starter shemuggah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shemuggah

Reaction score
Me and my roomate are both looking into buying our first 7 strings. We've been jamming together for a long time, and are heavily influenced by alot of metal bands. 3 of our fav bands in particular, are Meshuggah, Scar Symmetry and Unearth, all who use 7 strings.

Both of our price ranges are ranging up to a $1000. I've been doing some research on an Ibanez 1527, and have heard bad things about the stock pups. You'd think for the price tag, it would have some duncans or something. Also some schecter 7 strings have caught our eye. In specific, Hellraiser C-7...and the Jeff Loomis. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd look for a used 7620 on Ebay and change out the pickups.
Definitely the cheapest way to go and the 7620 is a nice guitar.

RiffRaff

Reaction score
I just got a brand new Loomis signature(With a case) from the Ebay store "Strings N things" for $1000. I love it and I definitely recommend it :yesway:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd take a Loomis sig over anything else in the price range if it didn't have EMGs (dealbreaker for me). As it stands, the good ol' 7620 is your best bet.

psychoticsnoman

Reaction score
theres been a bunch of Rg1527's on ebay latley or pretty cheap

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
If you can find a Conklin Groove tools on ebay, they're bar none one of the best guitars you can get for under 600$. (they're around 250-350 used on ebay). they come with locking tuners, locking output jack, cherry body (Helluva bright) and decent pickups. Get one of those, change the pickups to something badass, and you'll be like "OH shit! My guitar owns!'

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
what kind of 6's do you play.
I have a Loomis, and I have 7620, (and I have a Carvin DC727C :lol: )
The Loomis and 7620's are very different feeling guitars.
The Loomis feels like a........... ahem ......"large" guitar compared to the 7620. If you like a rounder fuller neck shape I'd say go Loomis, if you're used to flat thin necks go for the 7620 or a 1527 .
I love all 3 of my 7's yet they are all very different feeling and sounding from each other. What you're already used to will help in which one will work for you.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
You should try and play some of the guitars you mentioned. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the guitars you mentioned. They're all great.

shemuggah

Reaction score
6 strings, i play a schecter c-1 plus with emg's, and he plays like a washburn x something and a fender telecaster. my roomate baught the hellraiser 7 string from guitar center for like 720ish. i personally have my eyes set on a ibanez 1527 and replacing the pups. thanks for all the help guys. any other suggestions?

Man, I really want the 1527, but musiciansfriend.com doesn't stock them. That was my only hope since I can only pay via payments. Ebay is out of the question. :(

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
If there's a local shop that has a 1527, see if you can do a lay-away plan or something. You won't have it immediately, but you will have it. 1527 is a great feeling guitar.

And, frankly, the stock pups aren't THAT bad, they're just not a metal pickup.

shemuggah

Reaction score
well i got my parents to co-sign for a credit card. looks like i'll be getting the ibanez 1527 after all! next step is to find the right pickups. i have a guitar with emg 81/60 and numerous semour duncans. i must say i love my duncans more then my emgs. i may have to try out the dimarzios. any suggestions? any place i can compare different 7 string pickups?

')