buying a 7, help please

• Thread starter azoictaint7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Angels Camp, CA, slightly off-center of nowhere
Hey all, I want to buy a 7 string and since ive never played one i dont really know what to go with. Ive been looking at the Schecter C7 Hellraiser online and it seems like the way to go but the only way it seems i can get one would be to special order it through musicians friend but without testing it i dont know what to do. Currently im stuck with a cheap BC Rich 6 string and i like the neck ironically since i just bought it as a starter but are 7 necks that much of a change? Anyway since im a noob to 7's if you could just give me some suggestions about some good ones that would be sick.

Jeff :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
7s are thicker and wider. The CLOSEST (not anywhere near a facsimile)to a 6 string neck is a RG7 neck. so you might want to look in to that. Schecters are cool, but a bit thicker and wider.

Reaction score
yeah im leaning towards some ibanez rg models now. The 7321 is looking promising because i like drop tuning and dont have a need for a tremolo at the moment. I just dont know about the 7321 though because of the price. Id like a higher end Ibanez 7 string without the tremolo. Are there any out there because ive been unable to find one? thanks

Jeff :metal:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
they dont make them anymore, but check out the RG7421 or RG7621 on ebay..

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
azoictaint7 said:
How can you tell if it is an RG7621 model or not?
the RG7621 is a fixed bridge, while the RG7620 has a tremolo. most Ibanez RG names follow that convention.

i have an RG7621, it's a nice guitar :yesway:

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
azoictaint7 said:
How can you tell if it is an RG7621 model or not?
Simple explanations of easily identified differences in the RG7 line:

RG7321 - white binding on neck
RG7420 - square holes for pickup tabs (where the screws hold the pickups down), floating bridge (Lo-trs-7)
RG7421 - square holes for pickup tabs, hardtail
RG7421xl - square holes for pickup tabs, hardtail, 27"-scale (XL logo on headstock)
RG7620 - triangular holes for pickup tabs, floating bridge (lo-pro-7)
RG7621 - triangular holes for pickup tabs, hardtail

Anything else in the RG7 line is a rarer/more expensive guitar (RG1077XL, RG2027X-VV, RG2127X-TKF, etc.)

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
A Schecter A-7 was my first 7-string. It took less than 30 minutes for me to get used to the difference in neck size, and the extra string. They are also American made, whereas you'd have to spend quite a bit more to get an American made Ibanez.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Kane said:
A Schecter A-7 was my first 7-string. It took less than 30 minutes for me to get used to the difference in neck size, and the extra string. They are also American made, whereas you'd have to spend quite a bit more to get an American made Ibanez.
And if, like most people, he doesn't care where it's made...

Besides, Schecter's are not made in America. Assembled, maybe. And even then it's only some models.

azoictaint7 said:
thanks ill be looking around. Whats the difference between a 7621 and a 7421 though? just the pickups?

The pickups, the bridge, and possibly the neck. But the differences are really really small other than the pickups (and most people change the pickups on either one of them).

Reaction score
ive been looking at the Scheter 7's im just worried because i have smaller hands that the neck will be a little big for me. The 707s in the Hellraiser draw me in but i dont want to have to fight the neck. What do you guys think about the Iabnez RG1527?? Does the basswood body really cut back on the sustain? And ive never tuned a tremolo system. Is it horrible to get it into drop d?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
You wont want a trem if you use drop D a lot. It'll throw the tuning of the whole system. Trem guitars are designed to hold one tuning per setup, pretty much. The RG15271 would be worth looking into if you can find one. i'd suggest a RG7621 or RG7421. RG7321 if the other 2 arent available.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
My Schecter was made in the U.S.A., or at least it said so on the sticker. I don't know how other people feel about it, but I DO prefer guitars made in the U.S.A, unless they are classical guitars from Spain, or maybe a Company from the U.K., etc. My basic reason is that most guitar companies sell Japanese made guitar lines that are less expensive, but they are also less well made, hence the price difference. I also prefer to buy American because it puts money back into the pockets of American workers, keeping American wealth in American hands, rather than sending off to another country.

dav2321

Reaction score
Bump for the 7321, it's a good affordable 7 with a nice slim neck.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Kane said:
Ibanez is a japanese company. They dont make american guitars.
A mid/high quality Japanese Ibanez would cost about 800$ new , now. (RG1527). the J-Custom 7 strings are around 1500$.

edit: I also prefer asian guitars. the quality is REALLY coming up and the price is much better. F.ex, the LTD M-1000, 800$ guitar, neck through, flamed maple top, real EMG81s, real floyd, badass binding. Made in Korea. Just as good as any 'mid priced' USA guitar i've played, IMO.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Ibanez is a japanese company. They dont make american guitars.
A mid/high quality Japanese Ibanez would cost about 800$ new , now. (RG1527). the J-Custom 7 strings are around 1500$.
Unless of course you get endorsed and get to have a LACS guitar built ;)

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Kane said:
My Schecter was made in the U.S.A., or at least it said so on the sticker. I don't know how other people feel about it, but I DO prefer guitars made in the U.S.A, unless they are classical guitars from Spain, or maybe a Company from the U.K., etc. My basic reason is that most guitar companies sell Japanese made guitar lines that are less expensive, but they are also less well made, hence the price difference. I also prefer to buy American because it puts money back into the pockets of American workers, keeping American wealth in American hands, rather than sending off to another country.

It probably says assembled in the USA or something of that nature. I have two Schecters myself...check the back of the headstock, they normally put a made in korea sticker up there (unless someone peels it off). The ones that are made in the USA custom shop are normally adorned with a 'California' on the heel plate that connects the neck to body (if bolt on). I think if it is neck thru, it would be on the headstock. No biggie, i thought mine were US made, until i saw the little sticker on the headstock and noticed that the sticker on the electronics cavity said set up or assembled in the US.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Unless of course you get endorsed and get to have a LACS guitar built ;)

Granted. How many of us are endorsed though? ;p

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
You know, if it wasn't for pigheaded patriotism, egotism, and hatred of everything different from oneself, this world would be a much better, more peaceful place.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
You know, if it wasn't for pigheaded patriotism, egotism, and hatred of everything different from oneself, this world would be a much better, more peaceful place.

I hope this wasn't directed at me, but I don't see who it else it could apply to in this thread. That's a pretty assinine statement. Buying American made products stimulates the economy by putting the money into the pockets of an American consumer. I've owned several guitars in my life; all of them Korean until I bought my Schecter and then my Carvin. I'm much happier with the latter than the former. As for egotism and hatred of everything different than oneself, I don't even see how those apply to this thread at all. I'm talking about my guitars because, just like you, I relate to the world through my own experiences, and I am quite fond of things different than myself.

:nuts:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')