Buying a Guitar with Scalloped Frets

• Thread starter dimebagfan01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
So while searching Craigslist last night, I stumbled upon one of my dream guitars (Charvel 3dr in rainbow crackle) for a reasonable price and had to check it out. Everything looks either in good condition or easily fixable (the Floyd nut looks like someone took a flathead and a hammer to it after they stripped it...yikes) but one thing concerns me: the fretboard from the 12th to 22nd fret is scalloped. It was definitely aftermarket, probably not professional, but I've played a guitar with a fully scalloped neck before and had no issues so it isn't a huge deterrent. However, are there any tell-tale signs of a bad scallop job? On two or three of the frets, a bit of the side marker is showing. Is this okay or should I just steer clear entirely?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You should be thinking about function versus aesthetics. Are you comfortable with a not so good looking aesthetics but a well functioning guitar? To my understanding, scalloped fretboars are fine IF the removed wood doesn't compromise the neck's stability, but for that one would have to remove a LOT of wood. Made professionally, the scallop between 2 frets should follow the fingerboard's radius (if a full scallop), and at the edge it should all scalloped spaces should have the same depth. The surface should be smooth to touch. Nevertheless even if the finishing isn't top notch, the scallop can still be pretty functional. I'd say that in this scenario, you SHOULD TEST the guitar before buying it, mandatory.

Are there any pics of said guitar?

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
00v0v_bcOiXhx9T1y_600x450.jpg

This is the only one that shows the scallop. I'm fine with it not being perfect, I just don't wanna spend a few hundred dollars on an unfixable headache. As long as it looks okay, I'm gonna check it out this weekend hopefully.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
From what I remember, those Charvels had a bit of a baseball bat of a neck, so it's likely still in good shape as far as the scallop is concerned. It's that Die Cast trem that I'd be more concerned about getting replaced at some point. I used to see parts break on those all the time.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Scallopped just from 12th up, probably be okay structurally, but that's a bit of a rough job that was done there. I've seen a lot worse, but that doesn't look great, either.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
It looks uneven. Some of the side dots are eaten into, while others aren't. That would bother me, but I don't think it's necessarily going to cause problems. That being said, the scalloped part of the fretboard should still be smooth.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Also, that's a JT6 trem on there. You can replace it with an original or gotoh floyd with no issues if that's worn out. From what I know they have issues with the intonation bolt holes stripping. They're a neat design though, where you don't need to cut the ball end off and I don't know why that didn't really catch up with the original floyds. It seems to me that if it were hardened steel like it'd be a superior design.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
Good to hear that it isn't totally trashed. I have a few luthier friends who can probably pretty it up as well, so if all is good when I check it out in person, it'll be mine! Thanks for the help guys! And as far as the JT-6 is concerned, I've never had any issues with the one on my 275 deluxe except the bar breaking which was an easy fix. Unless it gives me trouble, it'll probably stay.

Reaction score
If you know good luthiers, you can also replace the fingerboard later on...

... but yeah, that scallop looks goofy to say the least...

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
If you know good luthiers, you can also replace the fingerboard later on...

... but yeah, that scallop looks goofy to say the least...

Well I was thinking that if I can get this at a decent price, I can always find a replacement neck later on and/or just get the scalloped frets fixed up by a luthier. The dude was being kind of an asshole when I emailed him but I'm checking it out this weekend and hopefully I can talk him down to something reasonable.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
I'd get it, but that's just because I really dig crackle finishes :shrug:

That's honestly the only reason I'm still interested. The guy has it listed for essentially the value of a mint condition 3dr, so he's gonna have to come down to something reasonable if I'm gonna be the one to buy it. What would a fair offer on this be?

ixlramp

Reaction score
It's possible that the side dots are at slightly different heights and the scallops are equal depth.

By the way, i never understand guitars only scalloped on the highest frets, as if players only bend the highest notes (the nauseating stereotypical rock solo running up to a scrunchy-face high bent note: widdly widdly whee whee whee!).

')