Buying my first seven string

• Thread starter bloodshovel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

A few questions. I haven't had the chance to test out many seven strings, but I will need to buy one soon.

I have smallish hands, so ultimately, I'm looking for a very playable and flat neck. I've lost interest in anything with a tremolo, so fixed bridge is preferable. I was looking at the Ibanez Apex and ESP MH-417 models. In my very limited experience, the necks on ESPs tend to be thicker than Ibanez models, but perhaps someone could confirm this. I was also looking at the ESP Steven Carpenter models, but that pickup in the middle looks like it's going to piss me off. Any other models that might fit my needs that won't cost over $1000?

Also: do I bother with baritone scale? I've heard that the intonation on a baritone seven string is better than a regular scale length. I have two reservations, the first being small hands, the second being intonation with my other guitar player. I'd be playing a baritone set up for dropped-B with another guitar player in the same tuning, but his guitar has a smaller scale neck. Are we going to sound out of tune in certain octaves?

Many thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
A low B isn't any problem on a 25.5" scale guitar, It'll intonate just fine with the right string gauge.

If you start going much lower, though, you might run into some problems. Different scale lengths have no affect on the frequency at which a note sounds, it only affects the timbre of that note.

Reaction score
skip the steven carpenter models. Its ok but in the long wrong its not worth. Mine just kinda... fell apart.
I would say get the mh-417 if you want an esp. plus the neck thru and mahogany body is always a plus and real EMG pickups and all that jazz.
:2c:

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Agreed, the 7321 is a workhorse, no comparison. For the money, you probably get one of the better sevens on the market. Just replace the pickups if you want to stick to it... Or get a new one later if you like the sevens in general.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
There are tons of guitars in that price range that are well worth your money.

skip the stephen carpenter models. Its ok but in the long wrong its not worth. Mine just kinda... fell apart.

ehh? :scratch:

which model was that?

7StrNgWizRd

Reaction score
Hi,

A few questions. I haven't had the chance to test out many seven strings, but I will need to buy one soon.

I have smallish hands, so ultimately, I'm looking for a very playable and flat neck. I've lost interest in anything with a tremolo, so fixed bridge is preferable. I was looking at the Ibanez Apex and ESP MH-417 models. In my very limited experience, the necks on ESPs tend to be thicker than Ibanez models, but perhaps someone could confirm this. I was also looking at the ESP Steven Carpenter models, but that pickup in the middle looks like it's going to piss me off. Any other models that might fit my needs that won't cost over $1000?

Also: do I bother with baritone scale? I've heard that the intonation on a baritone seven string is better than a regular scale length. I have two reservations, the first being small hands, the second being intonation with my other guitar player. I'd be playing a baritone set up for dropped-B with another guitar player in the same tuning, but his guitar has a smaller scale neck. Are we going to sound out of tune in certain octaves?

Many thanks in advance!

Congrats! If you want a great 7 string with a not so beefy neck that wont empty out your pockets, check out the Ibanez S7320. It's pretty awesome.
Buy Ibanez S7320 7-String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Reaction score
Hi,

Many thanks in advance!

You ought to at least take a look at a Jackson SLAT3-7. The neck is nice and thin.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
If you want a thin neck Ibanez, but I do recommend you try a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Some people say the necks are thick, but I find them comfortable and I too don't have the biggest hands in the world.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
I have hands like a little girl and I play a Ibanez XPT707. I have too say that the neck is amazingly thin and it isn't wider than any usual 6 string guitar, makes it very comfortable to play, also Ibanez usually is worth the money.
I didn't have the oportunity to play a lot of other guitars though.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

One last question: Because I want to tune it to dropped-B, this will mean cranking all but the low B up a whole step. Any suggestion on string gauges and tension? I've been playing 9s on my six string for years now, so would I necessarily have to change that with this setup?

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

One last question: Because I want to tune it to dropped-B, this will mean cranking all but the low B up a whole step. Any suggestion on string gauges and tension? I've been playing 9s on my six string for years now, so would I necessarily have to change that with this setup?

if you want to go to drop B, i think the 7 string is needless (imho!). you can achieve a drop B with more or less a well set up 6 string. or just buy a baritone if you want to have that tuning. (i do that as well, my myspace stuff is in drop B or drop A or even standard A on a normal scale guitar) and i have never had any problems.

because going up with your whole guitar 1 half step to get down to drop B with the 7th is a bit silly, you will need to put 8`s on it (i would do that, i am a 9`s E standard player as well) and i tell you that it will feel pretty strange (at least for me, i tried it).
ofc ideas like that can be a very interesting thing, but i suggest you to buy a 6 string baritone guitar (best suggestion!!) for something like that or even play in 25.5".

or you know what i would do? kick your other guitarist`s ass and tell him "TUNE YOUR FUCKING GUITAR DOWN TO DROP A MAN".
or if he is a noob, just tune it when he goes shit in the rehearsal hahaha

hint: if you have a bass player as well, tune that one down too, otherwise it is noticeable ;P

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Why? I feel we need an explanation as to why he shouldn't tune it to drop-b. If he wants that high F# then, yes a sevenstring is the only option. Either that or a 29-fret guitar.

As for string gauges, I used to use a 9-42 set with a .56 for the B string. If yo want less tension you could go with a 8-38 set plus a 54 or something, but I've never used that size personally. I liked the tension given by the nines, as I normally use tens for standard.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
At the very bottom of the page :yesway:
The ESP Guitar Company :: Stephen Carpenter Signature Series

Also:
Chris Storey (Ex-All Shall Perish, and now Smashface) Plays drop b in 7's.
He uses 8-38 with a 56 for the low B on a 25.5" scale neck. (Tuned B F# B E A C# F#) If you want the high f# then go for that.

Definitely don't let the 207 sway your opinion on the rest of the line-up. The 607 and the B7s are on a totally different league.

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out Chris Storey's set up, that's a big help.

Here's another way of asking the same tension question: Say the factory set up on a B standard seven string is the following:

If I wanted to tune it to Drop B (B F# B E A C# F#) with 9s, would the tension still be too great or should I just go down to 8s?

')