Buzzing open low B (maybe too light a guage)

• Thread starter angerinedream
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angerinedream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently switched to guage 8s on my Kiesel Zeus 7 with a hipshot tremolo.

Using D'addario NYXL 8 set (8, 10, 15, 21w, 30w, 38w) with an additional 50 for the low B.

The low B, E, A and D were super buzzy so I adjusted the bridge and truss rod accordingly. All the buzzing went except I cannot get rid of the buzzing from the open B, there's no buzzing from fretting.

I'm wondering if it's gonna be impossible and I just need to go for a higher guage for the Low B or does anyone have any tips? Thank you.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Does it buzz when you play it through the amp? If not, no problem.

.50 is a very light low B for me, but for others here not so much. The lighter a string you're using though, the more intentional and precise you need to be with your playing.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently switched to guage 8s on my Kiesel Zeus 7 with a hipshot tremolo.

Using D'addario NYXL 8 set (8, 10, 15, 21w, 30w, 38w) with an additional 50 for the low B.

The low B, E, A and D were super buzzy so I adjusted the bridge and truss rod accordingly. All the buzzing went except I cannot get rid of the buzzing from the open B, there's buzzing from fretting.

I'm wondering if it's gonna be impossible and I just need to go for a higher guage for the Low B or does anyone have any tips? Thank you.

Does it buzz when it's open? Or only fretted?
Sorry, that sentence just doesn't compute for me lol.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What was on before? Did you raise the action to compensate for the thinner string?

angerinedream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry big typo on my part, there's no buzzing from fretting just the open string.

It had 10s on it before (I got it second hand). I've been using 9s in D standard on my six stringer so wanted something with a similar tension without a drop tuning.

I have raised the action and sorted out the neck relief. I'm thinking I might try a hybrid of 8s on the top strings and 9s on the lower strings.

I went for 8s because I read Holdsworth played that way and I've been trying to up my legato shred stuff. But then when I've tried to play low chuggy death metal stuff it's really hard to get a control on the low B.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta pick lighter.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
If it's just the open string buzzing, and nothing else when you fret, the nut slot might be cut a bit low. The fix is to refill the slot a bit and recut. Although not getting any buzzing with a .050 low B on a 25.5" scale is going to be difficult without pretty high action as the amplitude of the vibration is rather large. A more classical very light gauge is 52 and it already makes a difference.

Gotta pick lighter.
This is the problem with the youth today!

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
If it's just the open string buzzing, and nothing else when you fret, the nut slot might be cut a bit low. The fix is to refill the slot a bit and recut. Although not getting any buzzing with a .050 low B on a 25.5" scale is going to be difficult without pretty high action as the amplitude of the vibration is rather large. A more classical very light gauge is 52 and it already makes a difference.
Going up to a 52 would be the simplest solution to try first imo.

')