Cab for a peavey 6505.

• Thread starter Scruffy1012
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a peavey 6505 (the normal, not the plus model). Im looking for a cabinet for it, I play small-medium sized gigs atm and practice alot at home.

My Ideas of cabs are something along the lines of:
-Marshall 1960 4x12
-Orange with v30's 4x12
-Some mesa 2x12 cab

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge they would care to share :hbang:? Personally i think a 2x12 mesa because of their killer tone and the reduction of sound, but if anyone has had good experiences with a Orange or a marshall ill take it into consideration. Other cabs are welcome to be suggested! :shred:

I Play a lot of noise/mathcore (Norma jean), metalcore (unearth, as i lay dying, between the buried and me) and shred (Paul gilbert, joe sat, Tobin abasi etc) I hope that some how helps.

O... and budget is under 1.5k:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

garza

Reaction score
Straight Mesa 4X12 Rectifier cab w/ V30's. You can't beat it. I tried everything, and always go back to the Mesa.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
They are all good contenders. BUT, I would replace the 1960 for a 1960AV (Vintage 30's).

6505's love V30's. MESA 212 will save your back heaps of stress. The Orange has a real nice and warm character but HAS NO WHEELS. The marshall is a little lighter than the orange, has wheels but is not AS sturdy as the other two.

Necky379

Reaction score
marshall cabs aren't bad, im lovin' my 1960tv (taller w/greenbacks). for what you're playing though, if you go the marshall route, you'd probably be happiest with a v30 loaded one as cybersyn recommended. it's a more common setup. also might want to do a quick search because there's a lot of "what cab for my 5150/6505" threads with a lot of good info.

Reaction score
^ Garza 1) Fookin yeah! suicide silence :shred:
2) Mesa 4x12, would it be easier to get a killer tone at a lowish level with a 2x12 or will there practically not be much difference?.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa 4x12, would it be easier to get a killer tone at a lowish level with a 2x12 or will there practically not be much difference?.

A 4x12 would move more air, but when you're dealing with a 120 watt head, I doubt you'll notice a massive difference in volume. A Mesa oversized 2x12 would get you awesome bass response and be a little easier on your back. Personally, I think I like 2x12s a bit more... they seem to sound a bit juicier to me.

Forced Chaos

Reaction score
Mesa 2X12 Recto cab is a great cab. I used to have one and sold it for some stupid reason. Now I have the Vadar 2X12 which is also killer. Any decent cab with V30's will do just fine with that head. I also like the Eminence Legends that are in the Vadar with the 5150. They are rated at 120 watts so they take pretty much all you can throw at them and kick out a lot of low end while staying tight. Pretty balanced speaker too....not to shrill on the highs and not overly mid-focused.

You can also look at the Avatar Contemporary cabs....they are priced right and you can choose your speaker or combinations and tolex color. I love the Vadar's personally just because they are built so damn tough. I dropped mine right on it's face on my tile floor from about chest high and it did absolutely nothing to the cab. If I get a wild hair to try different speakers I'll just buy them and load them in that cab. Good luck with your search.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
my vote would be Orange 4x12, it's tight, sounds amazing with the 6505, my personal fave, and yes look into avatar, cus their contemporary cabs are like orange cabs and you can choose what speakers you want in it, cheaper too

fvlt

Reaction score
A 4x12 would move more air, but when you're dealing with a 120 watt head, I doubt you'll notice a massive difference in volume.

I have the 2x12 and 4x12 slant and I agree... they're both basically the same volume. Both also have surprisingly similar bottom end. I find the real difference is the mids... the 4x12 has a bit more mids while the 2x12 is a little more scooped.

I also have an Orange 4x12. It's a very directional cab... you almost have to have your head right in front of it to hear it correctly.

I prefer the Recto cabs to the Orange... but in the end it depends on the amp since the Orange sounds better with some amps whereas the Recto sounds better with others.

garza

Reaction score
^ Garza 1) Fookin yeah! suicide silence :shred:
2) Mesa 4x12, would it be easier to get a killer tone at a lowish level with a 2x12 or will there practically not be much difference?.

Haha yes, If your jamming with your friends and band mates, you will notice a huge difference with a 4x12 hitting your back and feeling the tone a lot more than the 2x12. There's more cons going with the 2x12, but either way your fine.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa 412 IMO

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Straight Mesa 4X12 Rectifier cab w/ V30's. You can't beat it. I tried everything, and always go back to the Mesa.

:agreed: I feel the same way. I have a marshall 1960, and some other cabs, and i definitely like the 6505 best with a mesa straight rectifier with v30s. That is whats up.

Darren James

Reaction score
I would go for the orange. I own both, a Mesa 4x12 and an orange 4x12. Although I don't run a peavy through it (I run a Mesa through it) I find the orang to have a much tighter bass response and to be tighter in general. My Mesa I find to be a bit more loose but it still sounds great, I just prefer the orange.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I demoed a 6505+ through a mesa 2x12 and that was pretty damned awesome IMO.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
and yes look into avatar, cus their contemporary cabs are like orange cabs and you can choose what speakers you want in it, cheaper too
Question. Has anyone compared the Avatar 4x12 with V30s with the Mesa 4X12? Does the sound compare well to eachother? Because I am looking for a new cab for my 5150 II and I was going to save money for a Mesa but if I can get a comparable sound for just about half the price then I will order an Avatar.

madrigal77

Reaction score
Also take a look at WhiteBox. They're really nice. Supposed to be better than Avatar at the same price. And stay away from v30's. They sound like ass with the 5150 as it's already a really mid heavy amp. Go for something like G12k-100's or maybe Swamp Thangs.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Also take a look at WhiteBox. They're really nice. Supposed to be better than Avatar at the same price. And stay away from v30's. They sound like ass with the 5150 as it's already a really mid heavy amp. Go for something like G12k-100's or maybe Swamp Thangs.

although i see some bannage going on here, i will highly dissagree with this statement, there are plenty of V30 loaded cabs that sound amazing with the the 5150/6505 line of amps, some cabs may sound shitty but that's a cab construction issue not speakers.

although i can agree that G12-K100's are amazing sounding speakers and will also sound effin amazing with a 5150/6505, just different flavours is all

Reaction score
pwoar you just called BTBAM metalcore....

go straight to jail please.

HOLY BALLS, IM SORRY I SWEAR I DIDN'T MEAN IT. BTBAM IS A PROG/DEATH METAL BAND, Paul and dustie are gonna slice my face now... :ugh:

')