Cab for beginner

• Thread starter emptytheearth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emptytheearth

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the tech side of music and I(like many others here) am getting the Ibanez RG8 for Christmas and later in the next year I hope to get a cab for recording and maybe live, too. Right now all i have is a little 30 watt practice amp. I don't know anything about this, so anything that will get me on a good base to start will definitely help. Price is a little iffy as of now, but probably nothing over $700, but not sure on it. Also if there are any good threads you can refer me to or any pedals to go with it will surely be appreciated. Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your RG8! Do you have an amp already?

As far as cabs go, it depends on what you're going for. The Orange PPC-212c is what I use and I love it. A lot of people will probably also recommend the Mesa Rectifier cab. Both of the ones I mentioned have Celestion vintage 30 speakers in them, IIRC.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Just to be clear, when you say "cab" are you referring to a speaker cabinet with no amplifier component or are you talking about a combo amp which is all the parts of an amplifier in one cabinet? I'm just wondering because a cab without the amp is just a box of speakers.

If you meant a combo amp, there are plenty under $700. I would look in the Classified section here as well as other sites. The Peavey 5150 and all its variants will get recommended eventually what so I might as well be the first to do so. I'll leave it at that because I suspect you'll get a lot of replies.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
You likely don't need a 412, so focus on a nice 212 for now. And in case you decide you need 4 speakers, you can always plug in another 212 (if your amp has multiple outs, which most do).

Kristianx510

Reaction score
I would go with Orange. I got mine last year and cant picture ever getting rid of it.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I have an Orange 412 that I love. I can only assume their 212 is equally as impressive. An oversized Bogner 212 would be a great option too.

emptytheearth

Reaction score
To clarify, I would want a head and then either 1 or 2 actual speakers depending on recomendations from you guys and money.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I wish i had rich parents who would give me a guitar for christmas :(

emptytheearth

Reaction score
Actually, my mom is broke and this guitar is my birthday/christmas present(I was born in june) and for the amp that I will get is going to be earned because I am getting a job very soon and I need to be able to buy a car and insurance as well

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I really dont want to sound dumb, but does it come with the head in the 3rd picture?

No, the head is sold separately. Look in the used market for a Peavey 5150/6505 or a Peavey 5150 II/6505+ (Same amp, different names) Also check out the Peavey JSX. Look up some tone demos on youtube, there's a bunch on there for these amps.

guitargod2u

Reaction score
just throwing out another option i've been on a big solid state kick lately. You might want to give rx120h halfstack a try or dime d100 halfstack a try both should be well under your budget and will make that 8 string shine. Tube amps have to spend a pretty penny on to get anything good for metal which i'm assuming you are using the 8 string for. 6505 is a great amp but unless you buying the lesser combo version you are going to have to buy used. There is many solid state options and if you look used there is even more.

If you aren't planning on gigging i would probably just dump money on multifx or a good usb interface and run software like amplitube or guitar rig.

')