Cab reccommendation for 6505+ head?

• Thread starter StormEagle42
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I use a Marshall 1960B with mine and its okay but I recently ran it through an Orange 412 and a Mesa C90 equipped 412 and man, they blow those things out the fucking water.

The Mesa is particular was good, and since your in the states it'll be priced very reasonably, but everyone uses them, so I'm not sure how you will feel about that. :cool:

StormEagle42

Reaction score
I use a Marshall 1960B with mine and its okay but I recently ran it through an Orange 412 and a Mesa C90 equipped 412 and man, they blow those things out the fucking water.

The Mesa is particular was good, and since your in the states it'll be priced very reasonably, but everyone uses them, so I'm not sure how you will feel about that. :cool:

Haha good one, nice :lol:

Thanks for advice, probably really pricy but worth it. Have you ever ran it through a 6505 cab?

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
No, but I have heard Sheffeild Speakers in other applications and they are really good. But man, the C90's are just so good for the 6505...

While I hate to quote, V30's do have a funny nasal quack that you dont really appreciate until you A/B with C90's...they just suit the 5150/6505 mid-heavy sound so much better.

Red

Made In The USA
Reaction score
I'd suggest a Mesa or Vader (vaders are VERY nice cabs, and pair up very well with those amps, and they are cheaper than most cabs because you buy them directly from the people who make them)

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
6505 cabs are great man, nothing wrong with them. Its just a matter of taste. I've got one (slanted) with My 6505+ it sounds awesome but eventually I want to get something with V30's

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Should I get stick with the 6505 cab? Straight or slanted?

id go with either a Mesa Recto, Orange or Vader 4x12, it just depends on what type of tone your lookin for:

-the Orange will be very round sounding, with warm fat mids and excellent projection.

-the Vader will be huge yet balanced all around(tight low end, zero fizz) and super clear even with high gain.

-the Mesa will be huge and somewhat boomy, somewhat scooped but still fairly warm and present.

i personally prefer the Vader with a 6505+

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I wasn not impressed with the matching cab, but thats me. The JSX sounds really good through it though.

An Avatar with Celestion g12k-100s. Avatar with V-30 and K-100 (or T-75) in an X pattern is also a really great option. Price friendly too. K-100s are what the t75 should have been, better low end definition, more balanced (not so sscoopy) midrange, and better top end clarity. The X pattern brings the best of both speakers to the cab.

Any Mesa closed back, be it an older Mark series with C90s or Recto with v-30s. Both have thier own pros and cons. Marks are harder to find, but generally more affordable, but be careful if you buy online, some are partial open back. Recto cabs are really nice but tend to be expensive. they can also be a little boomy if you don't watch the bass and resonance.

Vader. They are pretty sick, and are quite rugged. Also affordable, and metal as hell.

Marshall Mode-4 400w cab is really sweet with it too. never tried the 280 watt version, probably really similar to the Recto cab though since it has "modded" (aka higher watt) V-30s in an oversized cab. Good price if you can find them.

Orange is really sick. great all around cab. Kind of expensive, but it will follow you your whole career no matter what you play.

Buy used that way you hopefully don't have to break the speakers in (at least as much.) I find it makes a world of difference.

I run the recto cab cuz I got a great deal on it. I would easily use any of the others though. There are more options out there, but I went with some generally easy to find, and/or cheap options since you were asking about the matching cab. If you want more expensive options let us know.

StormEagle42

Reaction score
id go with either a Mesa Recto, Orange or Vader 4x12, it just depends on what type of tone your lookin for:

-the Orange will be very round sounding, with warm fat mids and excellent projection.

-the Vader will be huge yet balanced all around(tight low end, zero fizz) and super clear even with high gain.

-the Mesa will be huge and somewhat boomy, somewhat scooped but still fairly warm and present.

i personally prefer the Vader with a 6505+

Hmmm...This is probably the best advice I've got lol thanks man. :lol:

Personally I wasn not impressed with the matching cab, but thats me. The JSX sounds really good through it though.

An Avatar with Celestion g12k-100s. Avatar with V-30 and K-100 (or T-75) in an X pattern is also a really great option. Price friendly too. K-100s are what the t75 should have been, better low end definition, more balanced (not so sscoopy) midrange, and better top end clarity. The X pattern brings the best of both speakers to the cab.

Any Mesa closed back, be it an older Mark series with C90s or Recto with v-30s. Both have thier own pros and cons. Marks are harder to find, but generally more affordable, but be careful if you buy online, some are partial open back. Recto cabs are really nice but tend to be expensive. they can also be a little boomy if you don't watch the bass and resonance.

Vader. They are pretty sick, and are quite rugged. Also affordable, and metal as hell.

Marshall Mode-4 400w cab is really sweet with it too. never tried the 280 watt version, probably really similar to the Recto cab though since it has "modded" (aka higher watt) V-30s in an oversized cab. Good price if you can find them.

Orange is really sick. great all around cab. Kind of expensive, but it will follow you your whole career no matter what you play.

Buy used that way you hopefully don't have to break the speakers in (at least as much.) I find it makes a world of difference.

I run the recto cab cuz I got a great deal on it. I would easily use any of the others though. There are more options out there, but I went with some generally easy to find, and/or cheap options since you were asking about the matching cab. If you want more expensive options let us know.

Lol so is this one. Thanks man. I think have to take my 6505 with me around and test out all of those things. :/

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
My friend has a 5150 with the matching cab, and to be honest, it sounds like a buzzy mess, however a 5150 ran through my Engl cab made it sound tight and dry and nice as all hell.

I think the 5150/6505 cabs are some of the worst sounding cabs around personally, even moreso than Marshall 1960a's, and I REALLY do not like them ones.

Reaction score
Damn..if it's worse than the Marshall 1960a then that must be pretty bad. I HATE HATE HATE those damn cabs.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
nothing wrong with sheffield speakers, although i havent heard them in a 6505 cab - just the XXX slant and straight.

there is not much tonal difference between my slant cab w/ WGS British Leads (celestion classic lead 80/mesa C90 type speakers) and the stock Sheffields in my straight cab. just a heads up.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Not a fan of the Peavy cabs either, but then again they do the job and I have heard them sound pretty good. Mesa are good quality but, another IMO, their oversized cabs are too loose & bassy - the traditional sized ones are much nicer.

Best piece of advice is to buy used. I've *never* bought a new amp or cab, because you get hit badly and there are so many good used deals to be found.

However you really need to EQ the amp properly. Seriously, don't scoop, especially in a band setting. It's easy to make any amp sound like arse whatever the cab is. You have to remember that those bands who do sound majorly scooped are multi tracking guitars on their albums and are generally doing a bunch of clever stuff live (plus a big PA which always helps).

jllozano

Reaction score
i have a 5150 with the vader 4x12 and unless you want to go to 12 o clock on the master, i dont think the vader is a good option, the speaker needs that kind of volume to get to its sweet spot in my setup, however i don't know how the voicing differs on the 5150 II........the orange (or avatar contemporary) probably sounds ace with it also.....

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
nothing wrong with sheffield speakers, although i havent heard them in a 6505 cab - just the XXX slant and straight.

there is not much tonal difference between my slant cab w/ WGS British Leads (celestion classic lead 80/mesa C90 type speakers) and the stock Sheffields in my straight cab. just a heads up.

the 6505 shefields are like peavey wanted to make a greenback with lots less clarity and more fizz. At least that was the impression I got out of them. They sound better in the 212 combo version though. Must be the open back.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Yeah, I also had my Peavey 6505 with it's matching cab and I never like the sound of it. I sold my cab and got a Marshall 1960AV loaded with V30's. Not the amp really shines. I found my 6505 to be on the lower range; the V30's were focused on the mid and high rabge so they balanced my amp nicely. I also bought a Rectifier 4x12 over sized cab. I liked this one even better than the Marshall because i think it takes the bass better than the Marshall does. But yes, there are a few options out there like Orange, Vader, Randall, Bogner, etc.

So from my experience, I will suggest a 1960AV or an Over sized Rectifier 4X12; they both have V30's. :yesway:

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
just want to say that this is a really useful thread for me, as i'm heading towards getting a 6505+ and wanted to stick with peavey for the cabs.

i keep hearing that the triple XXX cabs are very good with it.

that said, why did peavey name it 'triple' XXX when there are clearly 3 Xs after it? a bit like saying it's a 5150 2-two. odd.

in any case, what's the construction like on this peavey 6505 & XXX cabs? if you float in some V30s, would it match the construction of some of the other high-end cabs?

H

')