Cab suggestions please!

• Thread starter Axel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Axel

Reaction score
Ok so I blew my 5150 cab 2 days ago. I borrowed a mesa dual rect cab for a gig last night and it sounded really nice imo, so that is definetely an option. I'm also interested in the Voodoo cab (anyone have one and can comment?) I've also been told Bogner cabs are great.
Would putting V30's in my 5150 cab work out?

I am running a 7 string with Lundgren pickups into an old 5150 head, so there's plenty of gain. I need a cab that can handle high gain yet retain clarity. Please offer me some suggestions :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I blew my 5150 cab 2 days ago. I borrowed a mesa dual rect cab for a gig last night and it sounded really nice imo, so that is definetely an option. I'm also interested in the Voodoo cab (anyone have one and can comment?) I've also been told Bogner cabs are great.
Would putting V30's in my 5150 cab work out?

I am running a 7 string with Lundgren pickups into an old 5150 head, so there's plenty of gain. I need a cab that can handle high gain yet retain clarity. Please offer me some suggestions :)

if you want to try some v30's I've got some I can let go

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Yo Mister...Ekendahl.....

go with either Celestion v30's or v 75's or a combo of v30's & v75

a lot of pro metal guys do that. Mesa cabs do not sound that good in studio compared to
Marshall 1960's , Orange, or Madisons

Peace

Santiago

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Accept no substitute. :agreed:

Mesa Recto Standard:
412STsd-FntLG.jpg

Marshall 1960 cab:
M1960AC.jpg

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I have a Avatar 4x12 with V30s and G12h30s and the sound is great, but only with a good head. I tried a crate with it and it sounded very bad.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
actually, its "accept no substitute - get an orange"

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Avatar 4x12 with V30s and G12h30s and the sound is great, but only with a good head. I tried a crate with it and it sounded very bad.

I have an Avatar 2x12 I run along with my Mesa 4x12 recto. The avatar cab sounds great, but it's nowhere near the quality of the Mesa cab. The Mesa cab just has a lot more low end thump than the Avatar cab.

Don't get me wrong, the Avatar cabs are great, but I've never played a cab that sounds better than the Mesa Recto standard 4x12. The Marshall 1960 cab is the only one in the same league IMO.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a known fact that slanty cabs make you play better.

I've been wishing my slanty cabs were straight front for a while now...

probably cause I need to take my playing down a notch, I'm just getting too out of control:wavey:

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score
Randall cabs are absolutely mind blowing! Definetly the top underdogs that slay all the overdogs (wtf? :ugh: ) or just get an Orange and Paint it....

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I have an Avatar 2x12 I run along with my Mesa 4x12 recto. The avatar cab sounds great, but it's nowhere near the quality of the Mesa cab. The Mesa cab just has a lot more low end thump than the Avatar cab.

Don't get me wrong, the Avatar cabs are great, but I've never played a cab that sounds better than the Mesa Recto standard 4x12. The Marshall 1960 cab is the only one in the same league IMO.
Wouldn't that be the fact that your avatar is a 2x12 and the mesa is a 4x12...?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Avoid V30s like the plague--they're all harsh mids and muddy lows. I have a Mesa 4x12 with Mesa Black Shadows (C90) that I absolutely love. The speakers have a tight, punchy low end, much smoother mids, and crystal clear highs that are never brittle. It is pretty much the perfect speaker. You'll have to order the cab that way, though, since places only stock them with the standard V30s. The good news is there is no difference in price.

If you don't have the money for that, see if you can find an old Peavey 4x12 with the Celestion G12K-85. Mike has one and it sounds almost the same as my Mesa. As far as I can tell, they are practically the same speaker as the Black Shadow. Since Mesa ships the basket and magnets to Celestion to build the Black Shadows around, we are almost positive they use the same cone and voice coils for both speakers.

Axel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think its time to be realistic though and just replace the blown speakers rather than getting a whole new cab. I mean, sure I'd like to get a new cab, but there is a great local repair shop and it will obviously be cheaper.
However, he is recommending eminence speakers. Anyone know whether this is a good choice for a 5150 cab which currently have stock speakers (I believe they are sheffields). :scratch:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think its time to be realistic though and just replace the blown speakers rather than getting a whole new cab. I mean, sure I'd like to get a new cab, but there is a great local repair shop and it will obviously be cheaper.
However, he is recommending eminence speakers. Anyone know whether this is a good choice for a 5150 cab which currently have stock speakers (I believe they are sheffields). :scratch:

EMINENCE RULE!

I use eminence private Jakcs in my Madisons they are similar to V 75's

Very nice Punchy & cut through

But knowing you personally mister charles...you will like V 30's or eminence Governers

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Orange cabs FTW

Its like a Mesa cab, but with all the fizz taken out and the low end made smooth (as in not farty).

Axel

Reaction score
EMINENCE RULE!

I use eminence private Jakcs in my Madisons they are similar to V 75's

Very nice Punchy & cut through

But knowing you personally mister charles...you will like V 30's or eminence Governers

How do the governers differ from your eminence speakers?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Buy one of the new Avatar Vintage 4x12's, if you're on a budget, and get it loaded with G12T-75s and V30. It will cost you about as much as 4 speakers and they throw the cab in for almost free :D They're made by Mojo Tone who also makes Bogner's standard cab and the VooDoo cabs as far as I know.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage g412.htm

vintage%20412%20medlogo.jpg

Vader wins though :D If you're playing metal it's my belief that they are the best cabs on the planet.

http://www.vadercabinets.com/

:bowdown:
412.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Axel

Reaction score
Do Vader cabs have any distributors in the US? I didn't see any on their site (besides their home). Anyone here have personal experience with one?
I'm hoping to try out an orange cab soon. Turns out that pretty much all of my speakers are either blown or about to go :wallbash: , so I'm back to cabinet shopping :rant:

')