Cabinet 4x12 Mesa Traditional for concerts and house. Problem.

• Thread starter maloteslos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maloteslos

Reaction score
Hi, in this month I will buy a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Traditional 4x12, but, I not know what type buy, Slant or Straigth. I played in a 2x12, never in a 4x12. I play normally in small events and also in my home to 10 ft of distance, but, not in big concerts. But, when I play in a big concerts is different, because the distance in the scenarios varies, not all scenarios are equal. For this reason I wish buy a cabinet 4x12" that I can hear me good in my home, in small events and big concerts. In a small events the PA systems is not good, for this reason, I think hear my sound through of my cabinet, in big concerts I have a good PA systems and I can hear me through of my cabinet and monitors.

Then, please, you can help me? What type of cabinet you recommend me according my needs, slant or straigth?

Thanks for see my post, I hope you valuable answer! =)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I own both straight/slant cabinets. If the stages are small, slant cabinets will project into your mic and cause mixing problems. With bars, straight cabinets will project into the crowd which would also be displeasing to the crowd. You can turn the cabs around to the wall though which solves the problem. It looks odd, but it works in a pinch.

For recording you will be micing the speaker. The cabinet slant vs straight will matter much less than the type of cabinet design. You can move mic's to compensate for high or low end anyway, so it is a mute point.

Buy whichever is cheaper for you to grab. Personal opinion? Straight for stability of heads or racks on top of them. I never liked sitting my head on my slant cabinet when the cabinets are side by side.

As far as tone in the room is concerned i prefer a mix of both. Slants project great with band jams, and straights project out with a more rounded type of tone with depth.

maloteslos

Reaction score
I own both straight/slant cabinets. If the stages are small, slant cabinets will project into your mic and cause mixing problems. With bars, straight cabinets will project into the crowd which would also be displeasing to the crowd. You can turn the cabs around to the wall though which solves the problem. It looks odd, but it works in a pinch.

For recording you will be micing the speaker. The cabinet slant vs straight will matter much less than the type of cabinet design. You can move mic's to compensate for high or low end anyway, so it is a mute point.

Buy whichever is cheaper for you to grab. Personal opinion? Straight for stability of heads or racks on top of them. I never liked sitting my head on my slant cabinet when the cabinets are side by side.

As far as tone in the room is concerned i prefer a mix of both. Slants project great with band jams, and straights project out with a more rounded type of tone with depth.

Thanks man for this awesome answer! Man, but if the idea is know exactly how is my sound in the public in a small event or big concert without need of monitors, the straigth cabinets is the better option?

Because, when your equalize your sound in a straigth cabinet stand up, your hear a thing, but, when you crouch, your hear other thing and normally this other thing is that capture the mic. The idea is hear how is the sound stand up and crouch, because of this form you know exactly how you sound in the public. But what you say me? Is better the straigth cabinet that the slant cabinets for this that I seek?

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I believe the important thing here is that there is no right answer. Chances are whichever you pick, you'll find a situation where the other one might have been better.

If it's just one cab on the floor, I like the slant since it projects both up and out, but I agree that the smaller area on the top of the cab means that there is less room for error if someone knocks into your amp head.

Mesa used to sell cabs that had straight fronts, but the baffle was slanted. Sort of best of both worlds.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I PERFER straight, but theres really not too much of an issue of tone between the two of them. My reason for liking straight cabs, is the speaker isnt directed at you when your adjusting eq, so you get an idea of what the sound is like for people who arent standing directly in front of your amp. Reason being, if the speakers are directly facing you, you hear more treble than you do if your say, four feet to the left. That way, you can EQ your amp to sound better to the rest of the crowd. Generally at small shows, people wont stand in front of your amp anyway. Also, I think straight cabs just look cooler:hbang:

')