Cabinet Question (GK Head, Ampeg)

• Thread starter Cynic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
right now, i am running a gallien-krueger rb700 mark ii into two gk cabs (gk mbx 1x15 and gk neo 1x15. however, i found a used ampeg hlf 6x10 in the area for $450, and i'm wondering if it would be worth buying that and running that with my head and sansamp bddi pedal instead of the 2 15's. the two cabs atm start to get farty when i barely crank it to 10 or 11 o' clock and i'm hoping that the 6x10 can handle my head+pedal better (and sound better too) i would really appreciate your thoughts on this. thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrExcane

Reaction score
I always prefer 10's if I had to choose between them and 15's

That should get rid of the farting, but definitely check it out first if you can. (preferably with your own head, bass, etc.)

Mwoit

Reaction score
I am in the same opinion as MrExcane. 10's don't produce that big bass tone which might be desirable for some but they sure don't get farty.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
nevermind. he already sold it, but forgot to take down his post. lol

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
only time i would ever use 15's would be in conjunction with 10's

10's by themselves are quite fantastic sounding, and nothing beats the ampeg cabs for 10's, with the mesa 4x10's being a close second

MrExcane

Reaction score
^^ I totally agree.

My 4 Mesa cabinets are absolutely awesome and I'd only ever use 15's paired with 10's

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
The Ampeg 6x10 isnt super highly regarded. I've experienced it live a few times and although it was a big cab and people were using powerful amps with it (SVT-4, etc), in all cases it didnt quite deliver in the mix. Could be user error, but I have heard the same from others. You can probably find an 8x10 at that price if you are patient.

My 4 Mesa cabinets are absolutely awesome and I'd only ever use 15's paired with 10's
Mesa Powerhouse cabs are the ultimate for rock/metal for me. Nothing else seems to deliver the same and I've gone through a lot of bass cabs. I love the player control network- gives you some versatility in terms of the voicing (from modern/"hi-fi" to "vintage"). I'd sell the 2 GK's and get a PH410 or 212 from GC Used Online. The 4x10 alone works for me in loud metal bands.

nothing beats the ampeg cabs for 10's, with the mesa 4x10's being a close second
I guess the difference between Ampeg vs Mesa is that Ampeg cabs are a bit darker and more "classic" sounding. Mesa cabs have a similar frequency profile (the crucial low mids bump) but are a little more detailed/revealing and punchy IMO.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
update: i think that i may be buying a mesa powerhouse (the one with four 10's and a 15) for about $700 from our new guitarist. it's basically new since he didn't get to use it.

')