Cabinet Question..

• Thread starter ghostred7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I thought I had an old thread on here about this, but can't seem to find it....so here goes.

After my head blew up, I realized that after several SSO member suggestions it could of been due to the problematic speakers I have.

Head's output: 100W, single: 16 ohms; dual: 4 and 8 ohms

Current cab is a Marshall 1960A. I'm thinking of re-speakering (is that a word? LOL) it. Someone suggested to me to use either the Celestion Lynchback/EVH ones (either all 4, or mixing in combination X pattern) or something. Not sure what's in there now, but I'm thinking Celestion G12T-75 (x4).

Should I just skip re-doing this one and buy a new one or what? I'm not married to this cab...in fact, it physically looks like crap (marshall logo broken, tolex torn in places, etc).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
One of these with K100s would be my choice.
G412 Vintage

Their other designs are great as well, just depends on the look you're wanting.
Although they build them to your specs, they still ship out about as fast as any in stock item.
I recieved my K100 212 sig cab in less then a week after placing the order.
With the price of new celestions these days, you're just about better getting the new cab.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Thx! I've bookmarked their page....definitely giving it strong consideration. Just gotta wait til tax return and suffer w/ that Crate 4x12 I'm using temporarily.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I once had a bad load switcher in my 1960A cab smoke my head. I thought my Orange was getting a 8 ohm load, but because the switch didn't actually switch, it was getting a 4 ohm load. Are you certain the speakers were the issue?

Between that experience and my general distaste for the T75s, I'd personally steer toward another cab, but it all depends on what sound you're looking for.

It's also worth mentioning I'm the only person I know who's had an issue like that with that cab. Those things seem to typically be road dogs.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I once had a bad load switcher in my 1960A cab smoke my head. I thought my Orange was getting a 8 ohm load, but because the switch didn't actually switch, it was getting a 4 ohm load. Are you certain the speakers were the issue?

Between that experience and my general distaste for the T75s, I'd personally steer toward another cab, but it all depends on what sound you're looking for.

It's also worth mentioning I'm the only person I know who's had an issue like that with that cab. Those things seem to typically be road dogs.
Sorry...haven't checked this in a while. I'll be going to a new cab all together. The 1960 i have is ragged. Speakers wonky, tolex torn, etc....its just that time.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
man, it's a cab, who cares if the tolex is torn :lol:

YMMV

BHuard75

Reaction score
If the cab is still structurally sound and irks you cosmetically, I would strip the tolex off, sand it down smooth and have it retolexed. If the cab is truely beat and another 1960 cab is what your after I recommend splawn cabs. Quality cant be beat, all birchwood, no PDF panels anywhere. Let alone his prices arent going to be beaten either. Beyond that WRT oversized cabs, thats something I feel gets sensitive to the amp, some will sound great, some boomy, ect. So playing through them is important to find the right one.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly don't know the condition of the wood....i'm going to strip the tolex either way b/c I'm curious.

Also, not married to the 1960...so looking into all options.

')