Cabinet Simulation Help

• Thread starter Fretless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Howdy everyone. I'm currently using a GSP1101 to do cabinet emulations and I was wondering what are my other alternatives. I use a line 6 POD HD Pro X for my amp setup (and honestly the tones I get with it are more of what I want than I could get out of the Axe-FX II that my band used to record our EP). I know the torpedo live is a great setup, but that's $1000 I'd rather not spend that much unless there is no other alternative. I need the setup to be rack mountable because I am tired of floating gear (I spent years dealing with that and I've finally gotten away from that). So do I have any other option of a cabinet sim that can load IR's or just sounds great by itself?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
Palmer PDI-03. I recently got one for my studio and it's amazing. It's a well renowned unit in the music world. Rack mountable with a high quality flexible built in cab simulation, and a clean line out so you can use impulses on your computer for recording too.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Palmer PDI-03. I recently got one for my studio and it's amazing. It's a well renowned unit in the music world. Rack mountable with a high quality flexible built in cab simulation, and a clean line out so you can use impulses on your computer for recording too.

Only thing is I'd rather use it for cab impulses in the studio to over using them on my computer. That's where I like the torpedo live, but I can do cab sims on my GSP with IR's really well currently.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
Only thing is I'd rather use it for cab impulses in the studio to over using them on my computer. That's where I like the torpedo live, but I can do cab sims on my GSP with IR's really well currently.

What do you mean? Most studios will have impulse files, and if you talk to them i'm sure they'll allow you to bring your impulses with you on a usb drive to use

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
What do you mean? Most studios will have impulse files, and if you talk to them i'm sure they'll allow you to bring your impulses with you on a usb drive to use

I mean for my own recordings since I work out of my own setup. I don't want to load IR's onto a computer via vst's. I want to be able to consistently take the same cabinet setup from studio to live (I know it would sound differently, but I don't really like the idea of VST IR's). I'm stubborn I know :(

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
I mean for my own recordings since I work out of my own setup. I don't want to load IR's onto a computer via vst's. I want to be able to consistently take the same cabinet setup from studio to live (I know it would sound differently, but I don't really like the idea of VST IR's). I'm stubborn I know :(

I understand what you mean, but honestly man it takes literally 5 seconds to load impulses in your DAW

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I understand what you mean, but honestly man it takes literally 5 seconds to load impulses in your DAW

And then when I take my setup over to a friends house I won't have that exact sound. I like being able to take my sound around with me everywhere I need to.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
If you keep a copy of your cabinet loader and impulse files on a usb stick, then save your settings as a preset and put that file on there too you can load it on your friend's pc easily. I do that between my pc and laptop. The Torpedo gear is great but far more expensive and honestly overkill for what you're describing, but it's your call man.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
The torpedo CAB seems to be right down your alley and is, in my opinion, the best cab sim product out there.
Half the price of the live, allows you to mix impulses ala lepou, tons of amazing "impulses" and even has a poweramp simulator which brings things to a whole different level.
But it is in pedal format so there goes your rack requirement.

Full disclosure: I have one, I love it, but am selling it, only due to the fact the my Ironball has a pretty good simulated cab out and I like the simplicity (one cab sim, like it or leave it) vs the CAB which sounds MUCH better but I couldn't handle the tweaking.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
If you keep a copy of your cabinet loader and impulse files on a usb stick, then save your settings as a preset and put that file on there too you can load it on your friend's pc easily. I do that between my pc and laptop. The Torpedo gear is great but far more expensive and honestly overkill for what you're describing, but it's your call man.

My friend's house doesn't have internet where we practice. We practice out in his luthier shop which is away from the house. I already use my GSP1101 for cabinet loading, but it only loads a very small amount of the actual IR and doesn't have the same sound quality. I wouldn't be keeping the GSP either if I were to get a torpedo live or anything similar, and the money from selling the GSP would go towards the piece I'd be going for. I was just wondering if there are any substitutes to the torpedo that load IR's for a lower cost. If not then that's fine.

The torpedo CAB seems to be right down your alley.
Half the price of the live, allows you to mix impulses ala lepou, and even has a poweramp simulator which brings things to a whole different level
But it is in pedal format so there goes your rack requirement.

Full disclosure: I have one, I love it, but am selling it only due to the fact the my Ironball has a pretty good simulated cab out and I like the simplicity of (one cab sim, like it or leave it) vs the CAB which sounds MUCH better but I couldn't handle the tweaking.

That is what I like about the idea of using the torpedo as well. How large of an IR does the torpedo CAB/live load?

---

I also forgot to mention I don't just play in home studio. I also have a practice room at one of the local lockout studio places that I bring my gear to. I don't bring a computer to that studio because there's just not enough room for one XD and when playing live I won't have a DAW that I can run sounds through

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
To throw my two cents in...

I LOVE my Rocktron Xpression's Cab Sims. Very simple configuration, short learning curve and sounds great. Lots of tweakability with the Cab Sims and the EQ's. Cheap too... check one out if you can...

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
To throw my two cents in...

I LOVE my Rocktron Xpression's Cab Sims. Very simple configuration, short learning curve and sounds great. Lots of tweakability with the Cab Sims and the EQ's. Cheap too... check one out if you can...

Will do! Thanks for the input. Do you have any demos of different cab setups that you've done?

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
My friend's house doesn't have internet where we practice. We practice out in his luthier shop which is away from the house. I already use my GSP1101 for cabinet loading, but it only loads a very small amount of the actual IR and doesn't have the same sound quality. I wouldn't be keeping the GSP either if I were to get a torpedo live or anything similar, and the money from selling the GSP would go towards the piece I'd be going for. I was just wondering if there are any substitutes to the torpedo that load IR's for a lower cost. If not then that's fine.

You don't need internet to load files from a usb stick

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
You don't need internet to load files from a usb stick

I know, but I'd prefer not to drag my computer out and around with me either, and if I were to forget my flash drive = no cab sims :(

A full tower is also not that easy to carry around D:

xzyryabx

Reaction score
That is what I like about the idea of using the torpedo as well. How large of an IR does the torpedo CAB/live load?

Not sure, but I have never heard a complaint about it in that regards.
Go to rig-talk.com and msg sysexguy in the Two notes sub-forum, he will be able to answer ANY questions you have about the unit; Two notes have amazing customer support.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Not sure, but I have never heard a complaint about it in that regards.
Go to rig-talk.com and msg sysexguy in the Two notes sub-forum, he will be able to answer ANY questions you have about the unit; Two notes have amazing customer support.

Will do! Thanks for the advice.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Will do! Thanks for the input. Do you have any demos of different cab setups that you've done?

Not pure demos but a ton of music!

Check out adammclean.bandcamp.com and the album THE IMPERATIVE and MERCILESS SACRIFICE. A bit if the Engl e530 and a lot of the ISP Theta pumped through the Rocktron Xpression cab sims.

Hope that helps!

Lokasenna

Reaction score
Do you have a smart phone? Throw your impulses/VSTs/presets on there and toss an extra USB cable in your guitar bag or something - they don't take up much space.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Do you have a smart phone? Throw your impulses/VSTs/presets on there and toss an extra USB cable in your guitar bag or something - they don't take up much space.

I do, but like I said I'd rather not bring a computer out to practices. Especially not when I practice in my friends luthier shop. The amount of dust there would destroy my computer. I have a good setup for now, and I can produce some really good tone, and all I was asking was if it was worth it to upgrade to something like a torpedo live. I don't want to run my computer at every location I go to, and I'd really prefer to keep my gear on a rack, and if there is no reason to upgrade, then I will continue to use my GSP1101 for what I am using it for.

https://soundcloud.com/fretless-1/judas-cover This is what my current rig sounds like without any mastering effects. Just a simple cover thrown together to help demonstrate my tone.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Not pure demos but a ton of music!

Check out adammclean.bandcamp.com and the album THE IMPERATIVE and MERCILESS SACRIFICE. A bit if the Engl e530 and a lot of the ISP Theta pumped through the Rocktron Xpression cab sims.

Hope that helps!

The songs are epic! I plan on buying an album when I get paid this friday!

Latest posts

')