Cabinet Trouble..... Having Trouble Figuring This One Out

fiercecirce

Reaction score
Here is the deal, I have an Ashdown Fallen Angel 180 head (180 all tube watts). I used to have an oversized Mesa rectifier cab and it was ok but not perfect. And beside that a price of inner bracing came loose and started to sound like hell. I ended up finding a cab with the perfect tone. So I got rid of the Mesa. I tried it next to the Mesa at the shop and it blew it away. It had way smoother highs and a more open bass response. The mids however were about the same. I tried the same head side by side and there was a difference but they were still both two really great sounding cabinets. Some time passes and I eventually end up buying the cab and I get it back to my band spot and it sounds terrible! The mids are terribly high to the point where it hurts my ears. I can't eq it out and the cab sounds thin. I've tried it at a bunch of other places and have ruled out the room and I've tried to run it at different ohms to see if that helps and it doesn't. What I don't understand is that they both have the same speakers. The only difference is the Mesawas an 8 ohm cab and the Roccaforte is a 16. Both have v30's. I do know that the guitar shop that I bought it from did remove the back panel between when I played it and bought it. Would that have something to do with it? I really don't know much about cabs and speakers so any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Either they swap the speakers or they sold you a bad one. Take it back to the store and get an Orange PPC412 :D

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
You might want to check and see if they did a speaker swap when your back was turned.:squint:

But, all things being equal and no foul play happening, an impedance difference will result in different tone, and give a volume difference at equal amp settings. Different impedance loads to an amplifier actually alters the frequency response of the signal sent to the speakers. HTH

flint757

Reaction score
Here is the deal, I have an Ashdown Fallen Angel 180 head (180 all tube watts). I used to have an oversized Mesa rectifier cab and it was ok but not perfect. And beside that a price of inner bracing came loose and started to sound like hell. I ended up finding a cab with the perfect tone. So I got rid of the Mesa. I tried it next to the Mesa at the shop and it blew it away. It had way smoother highs and a more open bass response. The mids however were about the same. I tried the same head side by side and there was a difference but they were still both two really great sounding cabinets. Some time passes and I eventually end up buying the cab and I get it back to my band spot and it sounds terrible! The mids are terribly high to the point where it hurts my ears. I can't eq it out and the cab sounds thin. I've tried it at a bunch of other places and have ruled out the room and I've tried to run it at different ohms to see if that helps and it doesn't. What I don't understand is that they both have the same speakers. The only difference is the Mesawas an 8 ohm cab and the Roccaforte is a 16. Both have v30's. I do know that the guitar shop that I bought it from did remove the back panel between when I played it and bought it. Would that have something to do with it? I really don't know much about cabs and speakers so any help would be appreciated.

Wierd...If your certain you isolated the cab as the problem. I'd just pop it open and make sure it is wired okay. The speakers could have blown too.

Good luck man

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
How much of a difference is there between the volume you tested it at in the shop and the volume at which you used it at rehearsal?

Also, did you test it with your amp and guitar?

The other thing that makes a huge difference is listening to something in isolation as opposed to in the context of a band. What sounds great at home often sounds like total crap when played with bass and drums.

That said, check out the wiring and speakers to be sure.

flint757

Reaction score
How much of a difference is there between the volume you tested it at in the shop and the volume at which you used it at rehearsal?

Also, did you test it with your amp and guitar?

The other thing that makes a huge difference is listening to something in isolation as opposed to in the context of a band. What sounds great at home often sounds like total crap when played with bass and drums.

That said, check out the wiring and speakers to be sure.

^^ This

I have a cab that vibrates when I play certain notes at high volumes. It sucks and sounds shitty.

Reaction score
Try out the Eminencne Governer's @ 75watts 16ohm. I play a peavey 5150 and everyone told me that the mesa cabs were the way to go, so i believed that hype....till i played through one! it rattled soooo bad i thought the cab, then the HOUSE would fall apart! i threw some Governers in my cab and havent looked back. Absolutely perfect tone for me :hbang:

flint757

Reaction score
Try out the Eminencne Governer's @ 75watts 16ohm. I play a peavey 5150 and everyone told me that the mesa cabs were the way to go, so i believed that hype....till i played through one! it rattled soooo bad i thought the cab, then the HOUSE would fall apart! i threw some Governers in my cab and havent looked back. Absolutely perfect tone for me :hbang:

I'm selling the cab bought a 2x12 sounds beautiful with my eminence swamp thangs and tonespotters

fiercecirce

Reaction score
Sorry for the long response but I really had to bust out my detective pants for this one! The v30's that are in there now are not what were in there when I tried it....... There were actually eminence private jacks! I never would have thought that speakers can effect your tone so incredibly. This cab went from being the best cab I've ever heard to total crap very quickly. Guess I have to get new speakers. Any suggestions?
Thank you very much to all that responded. I really appreciate it.

flint757

Reaction score
Sorry for the long response but I really had to bust out my detective pants for this one! The v30's that are in there now are not what were in there when I tried it....... There were actually eminence private jacks! I never would have thought that speakers can effect your tone so incredibly. This cab went from being the best cab I've ever heard to total crap very quickly. Guess I have to get new speakers. Any suggestions?
Thank you very much to all that responded. I really appreciate it.

I'd return it personally unless you feel the cab is worth the price I personally hate V30's. Eminence speakers are amazing totally transformed my mesa's sound. Went from Mesa Black Shadow to Swamp Thang and Tonespotter great combo for my amp.

')